women's forum, baby steps

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gertie

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm very close to getting my van, and I'm nervous.  I am a senior and I have dogs, plural.  They've been with me for years.  I really am taking baby steps, I can't afford monetarily to make any mistakes, so I have some questions I'd like to ask.  I need to know what I should be bringing with me, what's absolutely necessary...besides dog food. LOL  I'll be starting totally from scratch, so I know nothing about solar, how to set up my computer, insulating, stuff like that.  And what items did people bring and then find they never used the items?  I already have a dog bin, clothes bin...very small, I'm a t-shirt person, camping gear bin, fishing bin, tool bin....I think that's it.  

I want to do summer in or near the mountains, winter in the desert.  I'd also like to meet up with other senior women with pets, need lots of tips on how to travel with pets too!  

Thank you for your advice, info, comments.  
Gertie

You need a first aid kit. Camping often brings with it things such as insect bites, cuts, burns, splinters and sometimes sprained ankles and such. Of course your dogs also need a first aid kit. First aid kits are one of those items you hope you never need to use but should take along anyway.

You need a basic set of tools and repair items such as tape and glue. One of those items you hope you never need to use but should take along anyway.
While doing the build you will need more than a basic tool set.
You should also take along one of the road side emergency sets that include reflective warning triangles.

What I am saying is you need to have at least some preparation for self rescue.

I am sure you will have no problem meeting other senior women with dogs while traveling. Plenty of facebook groups around for making that particular connection.

Thank you! appreciate info! never thought about the reflective triangles.

Rope. Bungee cords. A shovel. You'll figure it all out as you go. Spend time doing it and you'll find out what you use and what you don't use or need. Some things will work for you and others won't.

At my age, preventing falls is important. One item I carry in the truck is a utility stepladder. I use it at campgrounds to hang tarps from shelters, wash the vehicle tops, and if I had van roof storage I'd certainly need it. Secondary use is as a tiny table.

If you can take a few short trips close to home. You'll find out what you need and don't need. Don't buy anything new until you really need it. You can also do this at home. Go through your day as you normally do and every time that you use an item put it in your van pile. You'll probably end up with too much stuff so try to make each item serve more than one purpose.

Here's a helpful suggestion from HDR who can't post here because he's a guy. :-D
I find it easier if I break the list into sections like,
bedroom
kitchen
pets
vehicle
clothes
menu
etc.

What’s that old joke? Bring more money and less stuff. Just kidding. I think you got lots of very good advice but a lot of it is going to be personal to you. Bob has two videos on what to bring if you live in a car. Those are the absolute basics. Super helpful. Then as you get out there you’ll see what you need. I need a step stool because I’m short. You may not. Make sure your tetanus and other vaccinations are up to date ( they have redone some of the old ones) for your dogs too then see your doctor and dentist. Have one place to store your meds and first aid. Basic tools. A bucket type carrier, towels, bathing suit cover up and flip flops for bathing. Handiwipes.
Make sure your dogs are chipped and check their tags are clean and their information can be read if they get away. Extra leashes and collars. Dog meds if necessary. I think organization is the key.
Clothes: layers and fleece. I bought those water/land shoe/ sandals for $8 at Costco. They are still selling. Super comfortable, dry fast and a strong grip.
These are just ideas that I use yours will be different but I know it’s scary and confusing until you get behind the wheel and that feeling of total freedom and excitement hits! Have fun!!!!

Gertie, you don't say whether or not you are an experienced camper.

If you're not, you need to start getting that experience right now, with the vehicle you have.

There is lots of useful information out there about what other people take, but in the end, what matters is your experience.

All you really NEED is a decent bed set-up, some water, and some food. That's it. You don't even NEED a way to cook, if you take the right kind of food and are traveling in such a way that you can buy reasonably non-perishable food every day or so. I car camped for years taking little more than apples/oranges, sourdough bread, monterey jack, a little salami, and instant coffee. (Not that I recommend it, but it sure was easy.)

You are on the right track with using a bin system to get started.

And after you get your van? Take short trips in it, and each trip notice the one thing you miss most. Then add that thing. Rinse and repeat. It will come together sooner than you can imagine. And it will fit your style of travel better than anyone else's list ever could.

Trader Joe's house brand instant dark roast Columbian coffee is exceptionally good. Pretty much as every bit as good as a cup of espresso or an Americano from most coffee shop. There are of course some exceptionally good coffee roasters and espresso shops around that can do better. Trader Joe instant is better and a whole lot less expensive than the Starbucks instant coffee. ($3.95 for a 3.5oz jars at Trader Joe's stores)

Trader Joe's is not yet in every area but there are now quite a lot of their stores around the US. Lots on the West Coast. Lots of good choices of food for the pantry, dried fruits and nuts, foil packets of Indian cuisine that is very good. All kinds of mixes, etc.

I can’t cook ( I sure miss my micro) but I live very well on Trader Joe’s. Love their pre-made salads and falafel sandwiches among other things. Dried fruit and nuts for a treat. Pre-mixed chai. Since I can only eat a fraction of what I used to I can buy more expensive items. Walmart has nice salads that often go on sale. Used to love their coffee will have to try their instant

Thank you all so much! I'm taking notes. I don't know why I'm nervous, I think once I'm out there I'll be extremely happy! It's just the getting started part, ha!

My inclination is to throw dogs, sleeping bag, some food in and just go. Then I start thinking well, eventually I'll need solar...don't know anything about it or where to get it. I don't think I could do it myself, not that confident. I'm in San Antonio and every time I type in "solar for vehicle" the solar for houses comes up. Haven't found any companies doing vehicles. Did everyone do their own? Can you see I'm still nervous?? :)

I'm so happy I found this forum, I feel better getting input from people already out there!!

Are you getting a minivan or a full-size van? What will you need to power?

If you're getting a 12 volt refrigerator you'll probably want a complete system - solar panels on your roof, batteries, controller, monitor, and all the other bits and pieces.

If you'll just be powering small items - phone, laptop, etc. you can go the quick and easy way with a Jackery power station and portable panels. Jackeries are just batteries enclosed in a housing with all of the components and different types of outlets included. They're more expensive than what you'll get with a complete system but if your power needs are low a Jackery might be a good option. https://www.jackery.com/

Try searching for RV + solar installation. Arizona is a good place to look. I also found a mobile installer. https://www.rvsolarsolutions.com/contact-us

Thanks! Shame the mobile guy isn't here until October, I'm hoping to leave by August...'course, way things are going I might be here in October. Ha! I think I'll check into the jackery, don't need much so that might work.

Thank you so much for info!f

travelaround said:
Rope. Bungee cords. A shovel. You'll figure it all out as you go. Spend time doing it and you'll find out what you use and what you don't use or need. Some things will work for you and others won't.
Where do you store the stepladder??

I used one of those plastic one steps. I fall a lot and I’m afraid of a step ladder which would be better for use but my step turns upside down and I store things in it and fold my bedding on top. That’s one of those things that you’ll figure out once you’ve played with your configuration Another thing I wanted to say and I think others have too is it’s actually better to just jump in because if you plan ahead too much you might not like your set up. I’ve heard a lot of people say they did a build and then didn’t like such and such. As you travel you’ll meet nomads that will help you often in exchange for something or sometimes just because they’re good people. So don’t panic about solar and batteries and things. I’m one of those people that just blanks until I actually do the thing. Hearing about it is overwhelming but when you’re standing plugging stuff into your battery you’ll understand better.

I have an RV 2-step folding thingy from Camping World. It folds flat, when you grab one handle.It opens to 2-steps, when you grab the other handle. It was intended for ease o f entry at the RV door. I use it to reach the car roof or to adjust the tent fly, as a side table, as a bench when checking tire pressure, etc.

Folding 2 Step Stool

[size=x-small]Item No. 65819
[size=medium]
[font=Lato, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]4.4

[font=Lato, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif](67)

[font=Lato, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Write a review[/font][/font]
[/size][/font][/size]

That’s a great piece! Would fit in the tightest spot. Wish I knew all this stuff when I started.

Unrelated if you’re outfitting your new rig. I just bought a thick foam mat that folds in three and has a plastic carrying case (at Walmart.) I use it on top of my canvas mattress. Helps my back a lot. Pretty wide for a single $50

Well.  Didn't get the van.  About 15 minutes before I got there, they sold it.  I told them I was on my way but, they sold it.  Stopped at a couple of places on way back home, didn't find anything.  All of a sudden, cargo vans seem to be very popular.

"I just bought a thick foam mat that folds in three and has a plastic carrying case (at Walmart.) I use it on top of my canvas mattress. Helps my back a lot. Pretty wide for a single $50"

Yeah, one was too wide for my cot....so I use 2 unfolded and turned sideways....very comfy....especially with the egg crate topper over it all.

I've read about people cutting a mattress down for a bed, has anyone ever tried that?

I'm still looking for my van....I'm thinking a high top, extended will be necessary because of my dogs. Seems like all of a sudden vans are popular and hard to find. Does anyone have a diesel vehicle? I'm going to look at one tomorrow, never driven diesel, all I've heard is they are loud and diesel gas is higher but don't know if that's all true or not. I feel like I'm so close! But still, have to keep the dollar sign in mind, have to be careful.