WOMEN ONLY: Guns?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To own and carry a gun you must have also invested in training and regular refresher practice. You must also secure it in a way that others can’t misuse it. Owning and carrying and using a gun doesn’t mean you have to kill, if you have trained and are a decent shot you can hurt someone enough to protect yourself but not kill. But you have to be ready for the consequences of killing. Because you may kill.

Having said that, having a gun in a small space can be complicated and unless you think it through properly it may be more of a danger to you than protection.

I grew up (not in the US) with guns, for hunting and later because of political and social unrest my family used those guns for self protection. I disliked the mandatory target practice my parents made me do and some of the situations we got into. However when I came to the US I took the personal protection course offered by the local gun club. I had never used a pistol until then. I learned that women tend to be far better shots than men, accurate, safer and not foolishly macho.

However, I have chosen to travel both in the US and overseas gun free. I travel slow, make authentic friends with locals as best I know how and go where I know I am invited / allowed with respect and with local advice on dangers, annoyances and wildlife.

If you choose a gun, it’s part of the maintenance, you must keep your skills up as well as awareness. Please do the training and practice, too many people don’t.

Of course all safety is about awareness and training and maintenance but I have found traveling gun free enables me to enjoy traveling more and suits me better.

Latest posts