WOMEN ONLY: Guns?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

free2bee

Reaction score
Hi Ladies -

Just wondering if having a gun is recommended/necessary/required as a solo female nomad.  I hate guns, never had one and really don't want one.  What are your thoughts and advice regarding this issue?  I would feel more comfortable with bear spray, knives, etc. Plus I'm just not a fearful person in general, I can handle myself in most situations.  Is it naïve to think I don't need a gun? Thank you for your thoughts!

My late husband always carried one when we traveled, but never had to even threaten anyone with it.

I’ve been traveling as a widow 5+ years, and have never felt threatened nor in need of any protection other than good common sense and my dog.

No.

Be aware that guns are a very divisive conversation, on the forum. We normally don't allow it. I will allow this thread to stand as long as no one gets into the issue of gun control.

When I was working long late hours in my store, lots of people told me I was nuts not to have a gun. My biggest fear in having one is that, not being fully comfortable, I would end up having it used against me by someone who's skilled at taking it away from me, instead of it protecting me. If I were well-trained and had been raised around guns it might be different, but for me, suddenly adopting a gun seems like it might be a fatal error.

you answered your own question in a way about guns.....you do not want one :)
you don't like them, you never had one, you don't want one.....done deal!

I have one. I love guns. We are a hunting family, target shooting type family....so it fits us. A gun would not suit you unless you go to a range and LEARN ALL there is about it but it sounds like ya ain't gonna go there.

Knives are great to have on trails while hiking. I got monster knives but they aren't intended for killing but could LOL but having one when needed for any emergency etc is great. I have big bear spray hanging from my belt cause we hike areas where a bear is likely and good for humans and more if required...…….

but it boils down to what type of traveling ya doing? Are ya talking people defense only or are ya taking out in the middle of no where when a predator animal could happen and other bad situations could leave ya needing equipment handy to carry?

over 25 yrs traveling, never needed our guns. Never needed bear spray or knives. On critters or humans :)

Ha - figures my first thread and I had to pick a subject that is divisive and not allowed, I am sorry about that. To be sure, it was not a political statement, just a personal inquiry. Thank you for your answers everyone, and I think all the responses point to no, especially if you have no experience and no desire for one like me. As far as for what I would use it for, in case of human threat, not animal. I would like to camp on BLM land, 14 day camping, driving cross country, etc. I wanted to put it out of my thought process if it's not considered a definite need. Which I now have :)

I am a solo female camper....as much as a gun can be seen as a negative by many....there are crazy people in some places that you would never expect....what about that former military guy that was killed hiking the Appalachian trail recently....he did numerous tours in Iraq....and was killed by an unbalanced individual with a knife...I believe we should be prepared for anything- I carry a concealed weapon when I go anywhere in the wilderness....I am trained and have a concealed carry permit- better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it- don't be a victim.

A gun is a tool. Before you make a decision, find a shooting range that has women classes. For a small fee they will provide you with everything you need from safety equipment, training, ammo and targets. The local classes get rave reviews from everyone that has taken them.

After you have completed the class and put a box of ammo down range you will know whether or not this kind of tool is something you want to have around.

Here is a link to a local gun shop that has ladies night. There is a video to watch that explains the class. It is a youtube video embedded in the website.

https://www.atpguns.com/ladies-night

My husband, brother, sister, and many female cousins carry. I do not. I took the class and realized I could not kill anyone. I camp by myself, and ride my road bike and mountain bike hundreds of miles, and deep into the forest. I get scared, sometimes by people, sometimes by animals, but mostly the fear of the unknown. I feel that if I carried a gun, I would become lax on keeping alert in my environment. I feel I would not be able to respond quickly enough to use the weapon. I do carry bear spray when in the woods and I did have to use it last year when I dropped my bike on a bridge and the handlebar fell unto a bee/hornets nest. I was bitten about 8 times. I used the bear spray to attack the bees so I could retrieve my $2,000 bicycle. The bees came after me in a swarm. I have bells on my bicycle and on that same day, I deer came tearing across the path in front of me. I had been warned by a local that there was a mother bear and her cubs in the area so that is why I had the bear spray with me. It had been in my car for over a year since I was in Baniff with my daughter and they had signs everywhere about carrying bear spray.

Because I have stealth camped in the woods in northern Michigan, I am aware of the wolf packs and have thought about carrying. My husband will have his gun when we go out west this summer/fall. I want to have a gun for the bobcats that have been a problem on some of the mountain bike trails. Mostly I wear bells, and make a lot of noise to warn the animals and snakes when I am biking or hiking.

If you are a truly fearful and timid woman you will suffer more harm with that than you are ever likely to encounter on the road.

The only way to gain confidence is to get out there and do things. It does not require a gun to do so.

I taught a ladies self-defense class many years ago. I asked "who carries a firearm" at the beginning of the class. I picked several of the students and for my own safety, handed them a rubber training gun (used in training martial artists to disarm, not used in training how to shoot, obviously) and told them to put it where they normally carry their own gun. I then stood twenty feet away. I told them I was going to count to three, then attack them, and that they should get the rubber gun out and "shoot me".

Even with twenty feet between us and a three-second warning, in two years of teaching that class four times a year, not one single person could get that rubber pistol out of their purse (that is where every one of them carried their personal weapon, apparently) before I reached them. Not one. It is not enough to just have a gun.

If you choose to carry, please
a) use a holster you are comfortable and familiar with,
b) practice accessing the weapon quickly (unloaded and safety on while practicing, even trigger-locked) until you can do it without looking away from the person who is the threat, and
c) Always pay attention to your surroundings (gun or no gun).

I’m alone 99.9 percent of the time so I always carry... always and everywhere allowed by law. The world seriously has some crazy people out there anymore.

Trained by my father then the military.

I have a concealed carry permit so I only travel to states that honor my permit.

When I’m in the woods I have a big can of bear spray. As trained as I am, and as comfortable I am shooting, I would never attempt to shoot a charging bear... odds are better they are stopped with bear spray.

I’m sure bear spray would work on anything, and would rather try to stop an animal or human by a non lethal method anyway.

But I have a strong sense of self preservation; If having no other choice, it would be the only time I would draw any kind of weapon.

The question to ask yourself is, when in dire circumstances and you are about to lose your life to an attacker, do you want to save your life? Do you want to be rescued and be alive? If you answer yes, then you should participate in training that will save your life on that worst day of your life. 

If you answered no, then there is no need to train for self defense.
   -crofter

I always carry Bear Mace with me. Never had to use it.

The only time I have ever had a gun pulled on me was twice while working at Subway.... for sandwiches!

The two times I have used a gun in defense was to fire two warning shots each. This was from my sticks and bricks home in Spokane, county... to get rid of intruders on our property. One was a heavily armed mental institute escapee, not in his right mind. The other was an armed criminal escaped from jail rummaging through the neighborhood for sellable things. We called the sheriff. They never came the one time. The second time they came two hours later... they said we did a good job defending ourselves and sorry they couldn't get their earlier.

For perspective, I have been threatened more at work and in my own home. The unique safety feature of a vehicle is that you can put your key in the ignition and drive away with everything you own.

A downside to carrying guns from state to state is that many states have laws you have to be registered in each state to own one (Oregon, for example). Some states have rules that work together with the rules of your own state...but either way it's more complication than I care to get involved with. Laws are changing almost constantly. If you get searched for some reason or use the gun in self defense, YOU will be the one in trouble - not the criminal. Which is ass backwards. If you hate guns and don't want to own one, don't! Bear Spray does the job, and you don't have to be a good shot - it's a spraying mist/fogger. I'm not a lousy shot but I wouldn't bank my life on it.

A couple thoughts, its been mostly good info responding to the question. Its a personal choice. if you choose yes, please get decent training in the use, and avoidance of use in various situations. You may find useful info in Kathy Jacksons site cornered cat. What many dont understand is, having a firearm doesnt make you more careless or reckless, it should make you more careful. Avoiding foolish interactions such as road rage, and other unthinking human activities. if your training doesnt stress how to avoid and de-escalate problems, you should look elsewhere. If you cant ignore someones rage and insults, you may be best without a firearm.

Legality and travel. Theres much misunderstanding of the subject. Theres no requirement to register a gun in another state. Be aware that some states have stricter laws, and restrict or prohibit some types of guns, certain magazines, and in the case of New jersey, what type of ammo. You also dont want to cross the Canadian border with a handgun, but a long gun, meaning a rifle or shotgun, is OK to travel in Canada with so long as its reported to the border people and all paperwork is done beforehand. If one wishes to travel in Canada, do some research as to correct procedures to do so, and what types of guns are allowed, and its otherwise fairly painless. One note about Canada, its allowed there to have a firearm for protection from wild animals, its NOT allowed to have a firearm for protection from people, so dont even mention it in a joking way. They have a notoriously poor sense of humor about such things, but the Canadian border people Ive dealt with have been very nice, polite and professional when traveling through with firearms.

There are federal laws meant to protect travelers with firearms that travel to various states. In general the most restrictive states require the gun to be unloaded and cased when traveling through their state. With the history of being difficult for non-residents to posses firearms in some states, some people prefer to drive straight through those states when possible and not stop overnight. Observe any restrictions regarding where you can or cannot have or carry one, and you should be fine. Its mostly common sense. There are websites that specialize in the details of state by state laws, and which honor other states carry permits. Just to have one unloaded in a vehicle doesnt usually require a permit, for the most part, but to carry one on you concealed usually does. Some states have no concealed carry permit requirement.

HotSpringsCyclist said:
I always carry Bear Mace ...I'm not a lousy shot but I wouldn't bank my life on it.
Thanks for the real world advice. True advice: to practice what you are most comfortable with. My fave self defense film is the "Home Alone" movies. The defender does more with paint cans and marbles than anything most of us think of as lethal.  -crofter

A big question to ask yourself, if you are thinking of having a gun, is proper mindset. If my life is being threatened , do I have the mindset to take out that attacker before he takes out me?

This is the first question to ask yourself. When most think, “it will be taken away from me and used against me”, that’s because the gun owner doesn’t have the proper mindset. If you believe your life is in imminent danger, you have to be able to pull the trigger.

crofter said:
My fave self defense film is the "Home Alone" movies. The defender does more with paint cans and marbles than anything most of us think of as lethal.  -crofter

Hopefully that was in jest. Theres little in films thats realistic, particularly comedy films like Home Alone, certainly not in the expectation of saving ones life. Firearms handling and use is one of the more dismal aspects of film and TV, most is dangerously poor handling habits, and doesnt represent real life uses or effects well. Unfortunately, its all the exposure many have and far too many believe what they see is good methods or realistic.

As a retired solider, I would have to concur with Walenbound. I have carried a firearm from time to time over the years. My military training taught me that a gun is a weapon used for dispatching the enemy (or assailant). When deciding on whether to carry a weapon, you must be of the mind set to use it. You must not hesitate and be willing. I have found that far too many people are willing to carry a weapon but seldom are they really set to use it. It was more of a show piece with the idea it will deter crime in itself. As stated above several times.....first decide if you could and would use it. If the answer is yes, then the decision to carry is already made.