Women Only For Women in Cars, Truck Campers, and SUVs - What Does Your Wardrobe Entail?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scaredycat72

Reaction score
Hi y'all, I've searched for this topic and I can't find anything. I'm leaving out next week in a small SUV with the seats folded down - and still not flat - and I'm trying to decide what clothes to bring with me. I'm hoping to be on the road for at least the next 4 to 6 months, just going wherever the wind blows me, but my first stop is the RTR.

I saw one video where the woman said only bring one of anything, except underwear and socks, but that seems extreme. For other women in small vehicles like cars and SUVs, what does your wardrobe entail?

I am in a 16’ fiberglass trailer, about the same sq ft as a good size modern camper van. Here’s what I do for clothes, but then everybody has to do what is right for them…

I try to stay away from cotton t-shirts. I prefer the active wear stuff that wicks moisture away, is super lightweight and layer-able, easily hand washed and dried if needed, and if not, dries super quick at the laundromat. They also roll up smaller than bulky cotton t-shirts.

For pants, up until recently, I was mostly wearing leggings. A lot of the qualities extolled above apply to these, too. For shorts, active wear. Same as the other stuff. One pair of boots, one pair of closed shoes, one pair of slippahs (Hawaiian pidgin for flip-flops), and one pair of wool felt slippers. Lots of lightweight not-cotton tank tops to wear under other stuff. The other stuff is the above mentioned t-shirts, and at least a couple chiffon tops. They also hand wash and dry super easy. They roll up super tiny. Lots of not-cotton undies, and two bras when I’m being reasonable. Socks. Just enough, not too much. One hoodie jacket. No actual coat. Two or three cheap comfy dresses that can take being rolled up. Pareos — Very versatile things! I also have the luxury of having three real sets of PJs.

Right now, for reasons I can’t quite understand myself, I have two pair of jeans. I love them when on me, and really dislike washing and drying and storing them.

As I’ve said on this forum before, I don’t carry towels. They’re too big and bulky and make no sense, even in a stick and brick house. I use pareos for towels (and dresses and skirts and shade and privacy screens and beach blanket and nap covers and market bag and table cloth and even curtains in my little camper house).

I have a few more items, but they need to go. Because the jeans take up too much space!

If I had to cut my clothing amount in half, I’d still be fine. It’s just nice to have some variety since I can. When I boondock out on my own in warm weather, I practically live in pareos and slippahs. My weekly wash pile is negligible.

Just think of the through-hikers on those famous long trails. They carry everything with them. More than 1 full change of clothing would be a burden. So take what you have room for, but choose each piece carefully. Good luck!

I also like active wear and leggings, for all the reasons cited above.

Having apparently become an old, cold person in recent years, I am addicted to microfleece for warmth, and always keep a few tops and leggings particularly for sleeping in when it is really cold.

CuddlDuds are inexpensive at WalMart.

I am getting ready to go out for the first time in almost 2 years. I am in a minivan and space is precious as all of you know. I only want to do laundry every 2 weeks when out so I used that as a guide to gather my clothing.

Undies and 2 bras ( can hand wash if needed)
Long nightgowns (4)
6 leggings
4 shorts
14 various tee shirts
4 sets of sweats ( also bedtime if needed)
1 pair of jeans
Socks
Insulated hoodie
2 beanies
2 different kinds of gloves
One rain coat
2 pairs of shoes ( one tennis and one boots)
1 pair flip flops
1 shower shoes

This all takes up a duffel bag I can put in tight places and I have a bag for the dirty laundry

Years ago I had a system and I want to get that system back lol of course I will switch out when weather gets a bit warmer.

TexasTripper (Lissa)

I am getting ready to go out for the first time in almost 2 years. I am in a minivan and space is precious as all of you know. I only want to do laundry every 2 weeks when out so I used that as a guide to gather my clothing.

Undies and 2 bras ( can hand wash if needed)
Long nightgowns (4)
6 leggings
4 shorts
14 various tee shirts
4 sets of sweats ( also bedtime if needed)
1 pair of jeans
Socks
Insulated hoodie
2 beanies
2 different kinds of gloves
One rain coat
2 pairs of shoes ( one tennis and one boots)
1 pair flip flops
1 shower shoes

This all takes up a duffel bag I can put in tight places and I have a bag for the dirty laundry

Years ago I had a system and I want to get that system back lol of course I will switch out when weather gets a bit warmer.

TexasTripper (Lissa)
Thanks Lissa!!!

Changing the mindset is one of the biggest issues with going small. Think like the French, and all you’ll need is a small carry-on or backpack.

That said…do you have a place for the rest of your stuff (like a rental or storage unit?) so that you can go back to get other clothing or stuff?

If no, read below.
If yes, then take what you need for the season and place you are going to.

No, what is in the vehicle is everything then:
Look through your stuff/clothing:
Pick out your best T-shirts in black, off-white, and white.
Pick out your most comfortable and least worn jeans. Preferably in black or dark blue.
Pick out your least-worn, dark colored leggings.
Pick one or two long sleeve shirts.
Pick out a cardigan or zippered sweatshirt that in great shape. Darker colors are best.
Pick one skirt that is long enough to cover your legs. Dark color is best. If it has an elastic band, great, you could use it as a dress.
Choose a lightweight, rain-resistant coat that can go well below your waist.
These are your core pieces. Use scarves, hats, gloves/mittens to keep you warm and out of sun, and to have variety with outfits.
Choose shoes that last long and have a good fit.
Choose undergarments as you see fit, possibly a bikini for swimming and bathing.

THEN
Sell all the rest of the clothes. Use that money when you need flip flop or a t-shirt bought at a thrift store.

I used to be a clothing fiend, but when I went small in 2005, I got rid of so much clothing that I never wore. Still going strong with less clothing, even though I live in a house now.

In my earlier days when I began long-term travels, I used to do it on a motorcycle. The rule of thumb was two of everything. That is still the rule that I live with. Except undies! Although, admittedly, with my extra space it has become more like three, but I have no need to go above that.

Another thing I do is when I buy something new then I throw one out, for instance t-shirts.

what does your wardrobe entail?
As I dont like doing laundry often and live in a small space, priorities matter. My priority is wearing pjs. I have enough sets for over two weeks. They are rolled up and stuffed into two large bags. Which is ok because I dont go into businesses. I have a dress to wear if i have to enter a gov building. After living outdoors for 12 years I dont tolerate being inside buildings. Im setting up a basecamp at this time. Not much information is posted about the basecamp.

Hi y'all, I've searched for this topic and I can't find anything. I'm leaving out next week in a small SUV with the seats folded down - and still not flat - and I'm trying to decide what clothes to bring with me. I'm hoping to be on the road for at least the next 4 to 6 months, just going wherever the wind blows me, but my first stop is the RTR.

I saw one video where the woman said only bring one of anything, except underwear and socks, but that seems extreme. For other women in small vehicles like cars and SUVs, what does your wardrobe entail?
I have a 1 gal ziplock bag for socks, another for underware. A 2 to 2 1/2 gal for shirts and 2 of them for pants. Just fold everything small and put in the appropriate bag. It cuts down on the room you need and keeps eveything well organized. All the ziplocks go in a lrg fabric bag. Easy Peasy. As far as how many of each ? Abt 1 doz of each, that way l can easily do laundry just once a week - 10 days.

I think comfortable and warm clothes are necessary. And then some underwear.

I've been living out of this duffel for nearly a year now, both in my car and while staying with my parents.

Lots of undies
Lots of socks
3 bras
2 sports bras
Bathing suit
2 long pants
2 leggings
4 shorts (but I only wear one of them!)
6 T-shirts
6 long-sleeve shirts (could have fewer)
1 PJ T-shirt
1 pair long-sleeve legging-style PJs
1 fleece pants*
1 long underwear top
1 long underwear bottom
1 warm fleece top*
1 lighter zip fleece top
1 pair lined jeans
1 beanie
2 pairs gloves
1 rain jacket
1 down jacket
1 windbreaker
1 pair hiking boots
1 pair sneakers
1 pair winter boots
1 pair Tevas (have yet to wear them but missed them when I didn't have them!)
1 pair flip flops (which are my shower shoes)

My "nice" clothes are 1 jersey sundress and a sash and 1 white button down shirt.

*This fleece pair was my go-to pre-bedtime and middle-of-the-night pull-over-my-PJs ensemble. Also great to sleep in when the nighttimes got cold!

I started off with easily twice as many items of clothing than I needed and could stand to lose a few things.