Women Only - fever or hot flash???

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maki2

Reaction score
as if getting older and having hormone changes creating hot flashes for years was not already annoying...
Now every time  we get a hot flash some of us will be waiting it out wondering if it is a Covid 19 fever or just another hot flash???

Fortunately it will won't take too long to get a yes or no answer to that.

I am parked next to a blossoming creosote bush. Now I LOVE the scent of creosote. But there's no denying that sleeping next to one causes me to be congested and coughing in the morning. So here I was this morning, half-asleep, congested, coughing, with a sore neck from sleeping wrong...

It took me a good 15 minutes to calm down.  :p

My first thought was that I've never had chills with a hot flash, and with fever, that has definitely happened.  On second thought, I have been drenched in sweat following a hot flash, then "froze" as a result.  Still...  It feels quite different, IMO.

You can get cold flashes from menopause, not as common as the hot variety but they are for real. I did not know it was a real thing until someone recently mentioned having them and of course being curious about lots of stuff I simply had to research it.

But hot or cold they don't last as long as one would get when ill.

My hot flashes are fast. I’ve been getting them forever and my gynecologist said I will forever (I researched she is correct) They are quite different from a fever. What’s confusing to me is fibromyalgia v. body aches from flu/virus. It took me a year to realize I had gone to the doctor every 6 weeks only to be told I had a virus which I didn’t. Anyway I had a mild version of the virus (according to my doctor) followed by a stomach bug after 25 years of no flu or colds. The media is terrifying people. Many people get a mild form and most survive. I was very careful but neglected to wipe down food packaging. That’s the only thing I can think of it could be as I followed all the rules and am a borderline OCD neat freak.

Fibro won't create an elevated body temperature. So that makes it pretty easy to tell the difference. But if you are taking a NSAID for fibro pain then that can reduce the temperature you would have if it was the flu. I have had fibro since 1983 and I have never mistaken it for the flu or a cold virus or any other type of virus. That is because it does not make me congested or feverish and it does not give me an upset stomach, diarrhea, chills, etc.

I have IBS so I usually have an upset stomach, cramps, stomach pain etc. I also found out my Sjögrens causes stomach pain. I suffer from severe acid reflux, nausea and vomiting. I also have either RA or Lupus so I often feel achy and hot ( supposed to be my joints but it all runs together) I have permanent hot flashes and am always hot (never was prior, never even sweated in the desert in 120+ in the summer as a teen.)
I have no idea what fibro is since I read different symptoms and people describe different symptoms but I’ve been diagnosed twice by different rheumatologists. I know I feel ill and achy and in pain a lot and I used to get “viruses” constantly (impossible to get that many in a year) So in my case I can’t tell the difference. I have so many things wrong with me and so much pain and aches I can’t differentiate. I’m pretty sure I had a mild Covid but my lungs are damaged from a fire so I sometimes get lung congestion and trouble breathing plus the aches so God knows. These are only a few of my health problems.
I also look totally normal. Which makes it look like I’m malingering. Got my handicapped placard changed to plates yesterday-yay. So I no longer need to worry about losing it or having it stolen.
My body temp usually runs 99 and over. Even higher when I was in my 30’s. With this stupid virus I’ve had to explain this constantly. So I don’t use temperature as a gauge.

I have begun to use those occassional daily hot flashes as a reminder that I should be checking my temperature once a day or so. They might as well be good for something besides warming me up on cold days.

I always get hot flashes before my migraines. When I first started getting them, I was pretty young and I thought I was getting early menopause. Lol

Then years later, I started getting hot flashes along with fever, and severe pain. And then I got diagnosed with fibromyalgia. (Yes, you can get hot flashes and fever with fibromyalgia. Everyone is different.)

Luckily, I also have epilepsy and the new epilepsy medicine that I just started a couple weeks ago got rid of my severe migraines and fibro as well as my partial seizures. (Thank God, because the migraines and fibromyalgia was much worse than the seizures!)

But...for years before I started taking this new epilepsy medicine, I would sometimes treat my hot flashes and migraines with a homeopathic remedy called lachesis muta. (Usually just called lachesis.) Lachesis is actually the most common homeopathic remedy for hot flashes associated with menopause, but it also worked quite well for me even though mine were due to migraines.

You just dissolve 3-4 pellets on your tongue whenever a hot flash hits, and it usually goes away within a few minutes. The remedy is pretty cheap, too....it costs about 8.50 for a bottle of 100 pellets in most health food stores.

I have never onc eseen any reliablle medical source asociate fibro with fever as one of the symptoms. However people with underlying chronic infections, whichnwill often produce fevers are prone to developing fibromyalgia. Sounds to me that you might want to have a few more test run to find out what is causing your fevers because it quite likely has nothing to do with the fibro other than having made you more likely to develope it. A lot of cellular damage can happen from chronic infections.

My 92 year old mother still gets major hot flashes. Awful for her really. Lately she has been using black cohosh with good results.

maki2 said:
I have never onc eseen any reliablle medical source asociate fibro with fever as one of the symptoms. However people with underlying chronic infections, whichnwill often produce fevers are prone to developing fibromyalgia. Sounds to me that you might want to have a few more test run to find out what is causing your fevers because it quite likely has nothing to do with the fibro other than having made you more likely to develope it. A lot of cellular damage can happen from chronic infections.

Um....the rheumatologist who diagnosed me with fibromyalgia told me himself that people often get low grade fevers and also temperature fluctuations of fibromyalgia.

maki2 said:
Now every time  we get a hot flash some of us will be waiting it out wondering if it is a Covid 19 fever or just another hot flash???

I came to the conclusion a while ago, that if it lasts under 90 seconds, it's a hot flash.

When my Dr prescribed vitamin D3 because I was severely deficient, I noticed the hot flashes all but stopped. I told that the Dr, and he said "Yes, vitamin D helps with that."

I ran a high temperature for years and years sometimes borderline fever and there was nothing wrong with me. My fibromyalgia feels like a fever and the flu but no fever. I no longer run a high temp. Since I’ve suffered from a variety of conditions and illnesses some serious, since my 20’s and 30’s I have learned that they rarely follow the textbooks. Each person’s body is different and acts different. I’ve had doctors tell me really stupid things. I have lost all respect for the profession.
If a particular drug or supplement works for you, take it.
My gynecologist told me the hot flashes are adrenal and will stay with me forever.

I had pretty amazing hot flashes for a good number of years. I also just abounever fel[size=small]t[/size] cold, until temps started dropping in[size=small]to [size=small]the 30s.[/size][/size]

then the in[size=small]ternal fires s[size=small]tar[size=small]ted dying down, and I s[size=small]tar[size=small]ted [size=small]to ge[size=small]t chilly once i[size=small]t go[size=small]t in[size=small]to [size=small]the 50s.

And now, af[size=small]ter a good decade - I'm s[size=small]tar[size=small]ting [size=small]to ge[size=small]t ho[size=small]t flashes again. 70+ years of living in [size=small]this body, and i[size=small]t s[size=small]till surprises me!
[/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size]

Don't forget inflammation, signs and symptoms are: 
Redness, swelling, heat, pain, loss of function.

Minimize: smoking, alcohol, overweight, high stress, fried food, artificial food additives.

Include: 20 min exercise, sleep, tumeric & black pepper spice, green tea, fasting, gut care like probiotics & kimchi etc., walking and calm times.

Golden Milk for sleep
8 oz milk or natural non dairy milk
1 teaspoon ground tumeric
1/4 teaspoon fine black pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Heat the milk and whisk in spices, enjoy warm.

I make this in a glass jar set in water I am heating for washing up (anyone remember heating those baby bottles?). Just warm to nice drinking temperature.
-crofter

Link to the best tumeric.
https://www.diasporaco.com/

Here is another nice drink, a non alcohol Dark & Stormy
1 teaspoon ground tumeric
2 teaspoons sugar or equivalent sweetener
2 tablespoons lime juice
8 ounces cold water or soda water

I am drinking one right now, really tasty way to get your lime juice.
-crofter