Women Only: Completely Clueless Question about Trailers

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emelep

Reaction score
Hi, all.  I am just dreaming, not actually wandering, yet.

I have been making plans in my head that started with Tiny Houses, Moved to RV, then Teardrop/small trailer, then Van, Then Prius, Up to Truck Bed, and currently I am on SUV.  So, it's lucky this is all just dreams... otherwise I would be in trouble. :)

I have no experience but am extremely curious about the whole "Trailer Thing" -- What in the world do you do with it when you are in a city? Where do you park?  Obviously it is not STEALTH... but possibly it is if you decouple and stay in it at the back of a chain mall?  

Are there any good videos that talk people through what to DO with the trailer when you aren't boondocking?  It seems confusing and difficult to me... so I am currently at "SUV" because it's all one piece and I would know how to be sneaky... I think.

This is obviously low priority since these are just my daydreams for now.  Thanks to anyone who takes the time to look at this!

E

There are lots of videos from youtubers who have oversized RVs and trailers where they go and visit in a city for the day.

As to your question about decoupling a trailer and leaving it behind a mall. Those malls hire security firms to patrol at night time. There is no stealthy hiding out from them.

Welcome to the CRVL forums emelep! A small RV or van is better than a trailer if you're planning on visiting or staying overnight in cities. However if you do decide to go with a trailer the easiest places to park overnight are at Walmarts and other big box stores that have large parking lots. Uncoupling is not a good idea. You want to look like you are just passing through.

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

Hello!

You're in the dreaming stage of a life change, the great thing about it is that anything goes! 

Something that might be helpful is to ask yourself "why" you want to do this. Travel? Freedom? Save money? Do you need to be employed in a city type area? 

Another helpful exercise is to take a few minutes to imagine your "ideal day." This is a directed daydream. Imagine you're in your new life. Take some time to really get into the daydream. Start with imagining waking up in the morning ... let your mind just relax and wander and look around ... what do you see? What does your bed look like? Who is with you? What does your living space look like? Etc etc ... go through an entire day in your imagination ... relax and let your mind create the pictures if you can ... you might get a clue as to what you REALLY want to do!

On a practical side finances play into this ... I'm in a mini-van and I feel like I can go anywhere free most of the time ... if I was in a travel trailer I might have to suck it up and pay for camping at times. I don't want to do that! 

When I was in the dreaming stage I was looking at Class C's and then cargo vans ... but when I saw the mini-van I knew that was the one! I love my mini-van, been full-time for 2 years. Down side is lack of space, up side I love the freedom of minimalism and the ease of moving around. 

Good luck!

Mary Ellen ~