Women Only -- AZ & Covid19

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NomadicFoodie

Reaction score
Please be super-extra careful dear ones! I'm relatively new here but feel very connected to you already. It would totally, but totally bum me out if I didn't get to meet some of you next year. :(

This is not meant to be alarmist, The cold, hard fact is AZ will soon be triaging their hospitals. I worry more about all the retirement communities in sticks and bricks than I do you but having had relatives triaged in Brooklyn NY earlier in this pandemic, dying alone, I never want to even hear about that happening to anyone ever again. One of my oldest friends who was a health nut, very fit and only 62 with NO underlying conditions died. Here in Pennsylvania where I have been isolating, 50% or more of the deaths were in "community settings" residential homes, prisons, places with a clubhouse and common dining facilities. It looks like Florida will be the next most hard hit.

Yesterday I joined the HOWA "Keeping Safe" MeetUp, it was so well done. Joni was the speaker. She covered a lot about Covid19 and it should be posted there soon. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCi2WjYQPAEdDw-eEGgtni5A

May you all stay safe and may you ride this out with smoothness and Grace.

I will second that.

I moved from NY to AZ in December, went to the RTR and PARTR in January and had a blast and learrned so much and met many new friends and like-minded people.

I got a great job at a popular resort in Sedona in late February, just before everything blew up. We didn't close down as we were offering free rooms to first responders, but occupancy was about 20%. The governor shut down relatively early. Case count was low.

Then came Memorial Day, combined with reopening of everything at full bore. Occupancy went to 100% and stayed there. Less than 50% mask use by visitors, employees 100% use in public areas but not in employee only areas. Very little social distancing despite signage or furniture grouping at 6ft intervals.

Now AZ is one of the hotspots, surprise surprise. And people are still acting like nothing is happening. Maybe it's disaster fatigue, but it feels more like willful ignorance.

So I decided that my life was more important than their vacations. I resigned my job that that I loved, sold the home (at a financial loss) that I had finally moved into after renting it to others for 12 years, and drove 3 days from AZ to Long Island, NY.
I'm currently quarantining in my apartment-ette at mom's house.

I made that decision with a heavy heart. I gave up a dream of living and working in Sedona that I've been working towards for years. But my dream will not come at the price of my life. AZ will still be there after Covid. I'm doing my best to be there too.

I feel like my chances of getting Covid-19 are significantly less in NY at this point, and my chances of survival much better in NY should I get infected. And I feel that Gov Cuomo in NY will take any surge in cases much more seriously than Gov Deucy in AZ has.

It doesn't matter where you are, be careful.

Hope to see you ALL at a future RTR or WRTR or PARTR or all of the above.

~Kris