Winter camping suggestions?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rriverstone

Reaction score
Winter camping suggestions?
I'm a disabled elder, New Mexico resident, so would like to winter here.
Issue is avoiding mountain roads, passed until i can replace transmission.
There's nothing exactly wrong with it ATM, but my mechanic is sure that's my weakest asset.
Just opening it to inspect could cause damage. Basically, it's only the grime in all the seals that's holding it together.
I'm at apx. 6,000' right now.
There are state parks near Mexican border for winter, but i'd Fry in summer.

What vehicle do you have and where are you located? I would also check with our Homes On Wheels Association (HOWA) and see about getting that vehicle fixed before winter. Living in a vehicle requires following the seasons or having more than one vehicle in two or more places, one for winter and one for summer and a way to get between.

How old is your vehicle and how many miles? I ask because there's always a chance the mechanic is wrong.

I'm spending this year in NM State Parks. In December, I'll prob head to Imperial Dam LTVA near Yuma. Was there last winter. Windy and dusty, but temps were OK. The previous winter, I went back and forth from Roswell (Bottomless Lakes SP) to Carlsbad (Brantley Lake SP). Too cold for me, though. I'm wondering, though, what the temps are in the SW corner of NM from Dec-Feb.

Fewer elevation change concerns as you get south of I-40.

justanothermaroon said:
The previous winter, I went back and forth from Roswell (Bottomless Lakes SP) to Carlsbad (Brantley Lake SP). Too cold for me, though. I'm wondering, though, what the temps are in the SW corner of NM from Dec-Feb.

At TorC (Caballo Lake SP) you're still at 4200' and it gets plenty cold in the winter. It warms up most days pretty nicely though. Pancho Villa SP (west of El Paso) is further south quite a ways and it's 4100'.

I'm in S.E. AZ near Bisbee at 4200' and it can get down in the 20's although this past winter wasn't so bad. Tucson is at 2400' and runs about 8-10 degrees warmer. Quartzsite is at 900'.

bullfrog said:
What vehicle do you have and where are you located? I would also check with our Homes On Wheels Association (HOWA) and see about getting that vehicle fixed before winter. Living in a vehicle requires following the seasons or having more than one vehicle in two or more places, one for winter and one for summer and a way to get between.

TT Bumper pull. Very old. I was robbed, they trashed it. Am rebuilding. Not yet roadworthy. Can't go anywhere.Been living in it 15 yrs. in NM

slow2day said:
At TorC (Caballo Lake SP) you're still at 4200' and it gets plenty cold in the winter. It warms up most days pretty nicely though. Pancho Villa SP (west of El Paso) is further south quite a ways and it's 4100'.

I'm in S.E. AZ near Bisbee at 4200' and it can get down in the 20's although this past winter wasn't so bad. Tucson is at 2400' and runs about 8-10 degrees warmer. Quartzsite is at 900'.
Sounds like I'll be going back to Imperial Dam!