Winter boondock CA&NM?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goshawk

Reaction score
Okay have read numerous discussions about boondocking baha California, Arizona, Florida, Texas. Seems everyone concentrates in these three states in winter.

But have not read anything about Southern California, or New Mexico in winter. Nothing about the cities. Nothing about the state lands, or private trust lands.

Are folks avoiding those areas purposely ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's lots of BLM land you can camp on in southeastern CA. (Imperial County, El Centro and Yuma are among the places to shop.) Anza-Borego (SP?) State park allows free boondocking in some places. Look at http://freecampsites.net/

Goshawk said:
Are folks avoiding those areas purposely ?

What we are avoiding is the  higher elevations. It gets cold up there!!

The areas where we tend to winter are at sea level up to about 500 ' above. Hence, Ehrenberg, Quartzite, Yuma and places like slab city and Holtville CA hold our attention.

When it gets too warm there, like the middle of March, we start drifting upwards in elevation. By the end of April it can be comfortable at the Grand Canyon where it's 8000'.

Most of New Mexico is at higher elevations.

So NM is more mountainous winter temperatures. And needs to be avoided until spring. Okay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

California has the highest costs of living of all states, New Mexico is too cold, Florida is much too limited in camping--Arizona is best for most people. You left out the gulf coast of Texas, not my cup of tea but many people love it.

akrvbob said:
California has the highest costs of living of all states
My guess is housing (does not apply to boondockers) and income tax (does not apply if little or no income) are major contributers to this. I spend a couple of months each winter in CA close enough to the border that most of my shopping is in Yuma, AZ. akrvbob spends time boondocking in AZ, shopping in Blythe CA.

I spend my winter time boondocking in SE Calif desert. I park my trailer at the Holtville LTVA and use that as a 'base camp'. This LTVA has no water no dump - you're on your own.

The seasonal sticker is 180$ good for basically 8 months. This LTVA is bisected by I-8 so you have great access. El Centro, Calexico & Holtville are all within 15 miles. San Diego is 100 minutes West, Yuma is 40minutes East & Salton Sea is 1 hour North. Mexico 10 miles South.

Cell reception is 5 bars as the cell tower is about a half mile away.

Doesn't really get busy at all on the South part and the North part gets busy kinda for about 3 weex after Jan. Quartzsite bs winds down. most peeps here are from Canada - probably 80%.

I use this for a base camp and then branch out to wherever and camp/sleep/stealth out of my truck.

it worx for me..............INTJohn