Windows vs no windows

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ganchan

Reaction score
Are you in the "My cargo van must have windows so I can get some sunlight and see what's going on out there" camp, or the "No windows please, I gotta insulate this thing and I must have maximum stealth" camp?

If I had a choice I would want windows just on the side and rear doors. I have full windows and have all of them blocked out with reflectix, I do peal back the reflectix and peek out of those door windows before I exit the back. My situational awareness would be extremely compromised if I couldn't peek out.

ganchan said:
Are you in the "My cargo van must have windows so I can get some sunlight and see what's going on out there" camp, or the "No windows please, I gotta insulate this thing and I must have maximum stealth" camp?

Windows please...mine is the cargo version with fixed windows in the barn doors on the side and the back doors.

I've priced replacing them with the tilt out windows that the passenger vans came with but the Canadian price tag is enough to make me puke (again...sigh). I'm reserving judgement on whether I have to bite the bullet or whether I can get away without them.

But then I have no reason to ever do the stealth thing.

Windows.... I'm not a stealth camper.  My van began as a 15 passenger E350.  It has deeply tinted windows throughout.  I will be blacking out the windows around the toilet but otherwise I will use curtains so I can have daylight as much as I want, whenever I want it.  Plus two of the side windows open for additional ventilation.

Gregg

My van is a Conversion type with windows. "Stealth" is not a big concern, especially as I expect to often be towing a utility trailer with my bike and other gear stowed in it. Windows aren't hard t cover temporarily with foamboard, as needed. I will likely have the bottom half of the side windows covered permanently anyways - they are too low for the bed and cabinets I have planned.

Having had both, and being mainly a city dweller, I will choose a fully windowed van of one sort or another because they don't draw the negative attention that cargo vans seem to draw.

When I had a cargo van, stealth city camping was all but impossible in any area of cities, and I was perceived as either homeless or a criminal. With window vans, I really don't even worry too much about stealth anymore, since the perception seems to be more along the lines that I'm just another full time RVer or traveler, possibly visiting friends or family in the area.

I've also come to the conclusion that the ventilation available with a window van is very preferable for keeping me comfortable in either hot or cold situations, since you need that ventilation even in the cold to run your heat. In the summer it's easy enough to block the sun in the hot weather, and with the added ventilation keep your interior cooler.

When I was looking for a van about 6 years ago, I really wanted no windows.  I found a 2002 springer 2500 high roof ext wheelbase, but it had rear windows and a side door window, spray painted black.  I bought it, and I'm so glad it has windows.

1) Having windows is safer.  I can drive without seeing out the back, but its harder and I don't think it's as safe.  The side door window I can use when changing lanes.  Sure, I can use the outside passenger side mirror, but I like using it and looking out the side door.

2) When sleeping in the van, I like being able to peek out without opening the doors.

When I ordered my new van, I got the rear door windows and the side door window.  I have curtains made form trash bags, and I can cut some polyiso to fit the windows should I need.  

I have a panel van with rear barn door windows and two vintage style bubble windows i.e. diamonds, bubbles, teardrops, etc. I HATE the bubble windows, they leaked for years before I fixed them, let tons of cold in int the winter, sun in the summer, I hate them. They are plastic and I wish they were gone. The rear windows however are very important for tight city driving like SF and Seattle. I have limo tint so you can't see in but you can see out, this is the best part. I get to see tons of "action" out those limo windows, people think you're not there or that you cant see and you get a birds eye view of the happenings on the street of which I have seen many. I do gotta say that I would not wont my whole van to be windowed out but I think a few well placed and well tinted windows with winter and summer coverings for too much cold or sun are paramount for staying sane, but up here in the northwest the like to let the light in whenever possible.

One question, though: Does having side windows make insulating the walls more difficult? Or do you just put up the foamboard and cut window-shaped holes in it?

I'm thinking windows on only the side and back doors (both barn-style). I want as much wall space for cabinets or wall-racks as I can get. The doors aren't going to have cabinets (at least not on the top parts) so they might as well have windows. As I plan to have my desk at the back (I will sit on the end of my bed and face towards the passenger side) it will be nice to be able to have a window open beside me to let in light for reading. However, all the windows will likely be blocked up and well insulated most of the time. 

Believe it or not, I hope to be able to use the large, smooth, unwindowed sides of my van as a whiteboard for either thinking or teaching lessons on.

ganchan said:
One question, though: Does having side windows make insulating the walls more difficult? Or do you just put up the foamboard and cut window-shaped holes in it?

It depends on whether you want a professional, custom-built look or if you are satisfied with looking at the edge of the insulation all the time. If the latter, then what you suggested is fine. However, if you want it to look nice, then a window is definitely going to add to the work involved. However, I have seen pictures of windows that were trimmed out simply by tucking felt around the insulation. You just tuck it between the insulation and the van wall, wrap it over the edge of the insulation, then tuck it between the insulation and the paneling. The post I read, said it stayed in just fine, though you could enhance that with some double-stick tape or glue.

Of course, too much sunlight can also be a bad thing, as far as skin cancer/cataracts are concerned....

I love windows, at least one each side as well as front and back, preferably opening windows so I can get a draught going, ventilate, It is easy to block off windows when you want to with blinds, curtains, insulated pads or all three, I have blinds and curtains on my Kurbmaster and plan on building insulated panels that can be popped over the windows for cold climates. I have one opening window on each side, an opening panel and a door in the bulkhead and I had 4 fixed windows in the back barn doors but I removed the two lower ones and installed exterior lockers instead and am looking for openers to replace the two remaining fixed ones.

ganchan said:

Most passenger vans come with a finished interior, which is just about as easy as it gets in my opinion.  Take out the seats, move your furniture in, and go.

Having spent time on both ends of temperature extremes, I think insulation is over rated.  Blocking the sun from entering windows in the summer can help, but simply parking in the shade works better than anything else I've seen short of using A/C.

Staying warm is much easier than staying cool, so if you can travel to where temperatures are more agreeable, that's preferable.

Windows are my pref. Limo tint although the last owner hauled lumber and scratched the tint which is driving me crazy. Cabinets make it difficult. The long windows on each side will get inserts and the door windows most open are a great fresh air inlet. The most important thing in my opinion is appearance keep it clean , windows washed and not smelling bad. I sleep at lower window level too high for some but extra storage helps.

Off Grid 24/7 said:
Most passenger vans come with a finished interior, which is just about as easy as it gets in my opinion.  Take out the seats, move your furniture in, and go.

Having spent time on both ends of temperature extremes, I think insulation is over rated.  Blocking the sun from entering windows in the summer can help, but simply parking in the shade works better than anything else I've seen short of using A/C.

Staying warm is much easier than staying cool, so if you can travel to where temperatures are more agreeable, that's preferable.

Do you also have to cut out the shoulder harness straps? Or might those serve some other handy purpose, such as clipping LED lamps to them?

ganchan said:
Do you also have to cut out the shoulder harness straps? Or might those serve some other handy purpose, such as clipping LED lamps to them?

That would depend on whether you ever envision returning the van to its' former state.

The mounting brackets for the shoulder harnesses and the seat belts can all be undone rather than 'cutting' the straps.

Some of us take a van back to the absolute bare walls and start from there, others are okay with improvising.

I'll probably go with the best-maintained, lowest-mileage van I can get when I'm ready to buy, whether it's a cargo van or a passenger van. So that may answer the windows vs. no windows question for me. And as a snowbird, I'm a little less worried about insulation that I might otherwise be -- especially if I can get a light-colored vehicle, cover the windows as needed, and carry a warm sleeping bag for winter and a tent for summertime ventilation.

ganchan said:

None of mine ever had shoulder straps in the back, too old maybe.

If they did, I'm sure you could just remove a bolt up top if you didn't want to keep them.

But like you say, they might come in handy, add curtain hooks to have lots of places to hang things.

I like windows.
I'd rather cover up a window than wish I could see through sheet metal.
Just my hang up. YMMV