Why I live on the Road

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't give up. Make the appointment you will need more help in two months, this isn't going to be a short term thing. Go see the veterans advocate. Maintain as much contact as possible with your children, maybe through your wife or her family if nothing else maybe they can let the children know you tried. Seek help through a church for maybe monitored visits. Send the cards. This isn't going to be easy, you need help and will need help. Borrow the money if possible from friends, family, anywhere you can and hire a lawyer. See if there is a single/divorced parents group that offers advice or support.

You don’t need a lawyer to see your children as their legal parent, unless your wife is refusing to allow you to do so.

Make contact with your wife, go see your children and do so regularly.

If she doesn’t want you in her home, or you don’t want to be there, meet at a park, McDonalds, etc.

But see them, as the longer you stay away the harder it will be on them.

Depression is a monster that feeds on itself and thrives best on those who are isolated even if that isolation is self imposed.  It is best to get professional help the sooner the better before it gets worse.  This does not cure itself in time and the more you retreat into yourself the worse it may get.

Counseling can teach you how to better handle situations & people who may have influence on your becoming depressed.  Further how to deal with your fears of addressing those issues that may have
likely led to your depression.

I can only tell you about this in a few lines of typing.  But the first step is the hardest to take in seeking help.  It will begin to get easier after that.  Having someone like a counselor that you can discuss your issues with will break the isolation and be a comfort to help you pull out of this.  Whatever you do, stay with the counseling and don't be tempted to quit when you begin to "just feel better".

All the best and Good Luck

mdoverl said:
Went to the VA for help, even called the Veteran Crisis Hotline, no one is available to talk to me for two months at the VA Hospital.

I told them not to bother scheduling an appointment.

Called different services for support for a lawyer, I make to much money to qualify for assistance. I don’t have enough money to hire my own lawyer.

Past two days I have made no progress.
i would make that VA appt as they always take a long time, probably more so these days. my youngest son, the one i still 
can communicate with, goes to the Houston, Tx VA center [Army] and they are treating him and he gets good care, if he
only could do a better job sticking to his meds. I took my father to that same VA for many years and they kept him alive for 
more years than most. the one up here in Minneapolis is good too. again, good luck and safe travels.

Nothing has happened yet.

Suppose to do intake over the phone tomorrow at 7:30 am.

I’ve been having a hard time waking up lately. Even with all my alarms set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A lot of veterans have been reaching out to me, I’ve been to afraid to respond to them. I locked myself away in a hotel this weekend and just worked on technology related items I have, and watched some shows and movies.

There are a lot of veterans out there that have had to deal with depression and lots of other things, be careful but respond to those that seem to truly want to help you especially if they are with a veterans help organization. It is time to make friends. Do what is needed to get your VA appointment it matters.

Tens of millions are suffering from depression today.
You're not alone and it can be excruciatingly difficult to get motivated to get help.
A few people I know started taking Lexapro and it changed them from manic depressed people into normal, fully functioning people who were able to cope and laugh again.
The hardest thing you might face is taking the first step.
Force yourself to do something because it's a spiral that can get out of control.

No one here knows your true situation, but dealing with anything being depressed is 1000 times worse.
Good luck and try to force yourself to just do it.

This is not really a joke, although some of you might think it is, but I treat my bipolar with a wonderful medicine called Marzipan. (Or any other kind of junk food or candy there is)

I was just thinking of how this all must look from the children's perspective. Most children are aware of a mom discarding Dad for another guy and they won't like it especially if the other guy is now living with them. (not sure if that's what's happening in your situation) . . . but with Mom inflicting this other guy on them (and many if not most stepfather figures are not loving toward the children) they would really need their real father to help them cope with their emotional distress and make sense of all the changes. They need to know you're okay and not abandoning them to some father figure who doesn't even like them.

I called the VA back and complained about have to wait two months to see someone.

What’s the point of the crisis helpline if you have to wait two months for help.

I have an appointment on the 27th of this month, just under two weeks away.

Most VA hospitals have a person to help you complain referred to as a VA advocate or advisor. Keeping close with them helps, good news and keep up the good work!