Why do solo female Nomads have an easier time attracting non-nomads than solo males?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChileSauceCritic

Reaction score
[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]As I'm getting to know vanDwelling and fulltime RV couples, I'm noticing though most were either both nomads before getting together or together before becoming nomads, But among the minority where one was a nomad and their partner was not at the time when they met, it seems overwhelmingly more common that it was the woman who was the vandweller.[/font]

[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Basically meaning a woman is more likely to find a guy who is willing to chuck everything and move into her van and see the country, than the other way around.[/font]

[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]personally I see a few reasons this may be.[/font]

[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]1. women in that life have less of a stigma than the men "The creepy guy who lives in a van down by the river".[/font]

[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]2. there is a higher percentage of men who actually enjoy "roughing it" go to any sporting goods store and you will see way more single men than single women in the hunting or camping section(though the gap is shrinking I here).[/font]

[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]3. a woman happy with the bare basics in life is more appealing to a wider range of men, than a man happy with the bare basics is to all but a slight minority of women.[/font][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,](women often complain about their cheap boyfriend or husband, while men often speak with pride when they find a woman who does not have expensive tastes using phases like "low maintenance" or "down to earth" )[/font]

[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]4. men tend to be more focused on looks, and because many nomads are into rock climbing and hiking a higher percentage of vandweller's tend to be more physically fit for longer than in the general population especially those in the life since they were young.[/font]

[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]But what other reasons do you guys think there are?[/font]

van-life-couple-travel-in-a-van.jpg

It's simple. The women meet the men at Home Depot. And they're buying power tools.
-crofter

crofter said:
It's simple. The women meet the men at Home Depot. And they're buying power tools.
-crofter

I know you were joking but you still may be on to something  :-/

A person living in a van or RV is going to have to be more self reliant and so fixing little things before they become big things becomes a way of life, so a woman living fulltime in a converted van or RV is going to be spending more time in places mostly men congregate such as hardware stores, auto parts stores and sporting goods shops than the average woman. :D
girl-mechanics-500-4018080408_319dbd44c7wtmk.jpg

True story, I spent a solid month on my build and was always approached by men at Home Depot. I'm sure it was the power tools.
-crofter

women are more nesters.
want fixed known daily security.
all of this is instinctual. built into the DNA by mother nature. need known security to raise young and all that jazz.

but now more women are falling into the category of 'I don't require XYZ for a lifestyle' and are more on the go and fly by the seat of our pants at a younger age and don't put even child raising as 'fixed in school' and with home school and more it is a changing minset with women....but alot of us still want known fixed security LOL

A good looking woman running a forklift does it for me!

:D

RoamerRV428 said:
women are more nesters.
want fixed known daily security.
all of this is instinctual.  built into the DNA by mother nature.  need known security to raise young and all that jazz.

but now more women are falling into the category of 'I don't require XYZ for a lifestyle' and are more on the go and fly by the seat of our pants at a younger age and don't put even child raising as 'fixed in school' and with home school and more it is a changing minset with women....but alot of us still want known fixed security LOL

I don't think it's female instinct to be S&B, humans have been on earth 3.5 million years, maybe 140,000 years in something close to our current form, but civilization in a form we can recognize has only been around about 7,000 years so for most of human existence we were nomads following our food over regions of hundreds of miles.

get it but female vs male, female was weaker and had to protect young'ins for future life and nest and rely on male to provide......thru life a few minute times this does not come into play but if you don't see alpha beta from life as it evolved I can't help ya on chat about it LOL

females wanna nest
security in future of that nest/family

what truly is SO off you don't see this? just curious

nomads mean move, relocate, follow the food herd or seasons of harvest like berries etc but it never was about following 'a non provider' male ya know..............don't put a season of life on who provided it. males did for security. provision etc while the females produced young, females did their part totally! from early on but don't this males didn't have the evolution under their belt to move it forward as natural scary death life evolution required.

SO??? chat on it is cool, love this chat

I think societal conditioning still runs much deeper than most of us give it credit for.

Without meaning anything to sound "sexist".

Young girls learn while growing up the skills of "attraction".  It's one of their primary social skills deemed necessary to their coming life as an adult.  Other skills may include "flirtation", and "conversation & listening skills".  With these, females will make connections with eligible men which could lead to a relationship.  Relationships could lead to a marriage, family, and children.  (a traditional aim of most females)

Guys on the other hand are learning "skills" not so much related to socializing until mid teens.  This before they want to be active with girls.  But these are the things that may gain the interest of girls. Still he will have to show some understanding of normal social interactions to have any success with the girls. 

So if a guy is doing fairly well in his working life and has some of the requisites such as a car, money, his own place, he keeps himself well groomed, then the girls may take him serious enough to give him some signals that she is interested.

I've always found it interesting the magazine shelves at places like WalMart.  The sheer numbers of women's magazines compared to men's and the nature of the two may offer some validation of this.
Guys are generally running with larger numbers of other guys and playing sports when younger.  Girls are generally with a smaller number (a circle) of friends and learn the social protocols I spoke of above.  When girls begin to be interested in boys they are often inclined to look to those guys who are somewhat older than themselves.

All of this stuff starts early.  I've also noticed a lot of the guys who grow up around older sisters seem to, owing to exposure,  understand these dynamics better than those who were only kids or only had brothers.  They seem to have the "knack" for dating by dating age.

In essence,  the girls may be educated to be the better more skillful hunters  and in that they realize
the limit that so many guys have.  Thus by working at grooming themselves to be attractive and managing their social skills towards what they sense as "worthwhile" they will have the advantage.

I'm only stating this as my view of the question.

I will just have to say you have not met me if you think that. 

Most people of both genders in our micro community have basic survival skills as their primary. Yes I am a good hunter and can bag game. I have yet to shoot a bear or an elk so not a "big game" hunter. I prefer fishing over all other hunting.

Hunting people?? I do not think of relationships that way. I hang out with friends and avoid those who are not friends. That leaves me with a small circle.

The people who spend a lot of time preening their feathers will not last long as nomads. Cologne just attracts mosquitoes after all and stiletto heels are unsuitable for clambering into a van and avoiding scorpion stings in the desert.

A warning for females, face creams and cosmetics often contain carcinogens that cause breast cancer. That would be a pretty nasty detour if you survived it. IMHO, not worth the risk. There are non toxic solutions like being a natural beauty, & staying out of the sun with hats and facial covering.

My 2 cents.
-crofter

"Cologne just attracts mosquitoes after all and stiletto heels are unsuitable for clambering into a van and avoiding scorpion stings in the desert."

Yeah, but they look pretty good in a LOT of other places... :) JJ. A touch of cologne doesn't hurt either. It's all in the setting and context. I met my first wife back at Little Rock AFB in 1990. I was the jumpmaster for an upcoming training jump and was setting up a C 130 for it. The aircraft still had a 2.5 ton concrete block onboard that had been used to simulate a parachute drop cargo the night before and it needed to come off. Along came an enormous forklift operated by the aerial port squadron (women and forklifts!) and driven by the cutest "Airman" I'd ever seen. She pulled up to the back ramp, I looked at her and said "HI"! She looked at me and said "You'd better get the hell outa the way or you're gonna get hurt". True love in combat boots and fatigues. But she also looked fine in heels and cologne. Just SAYIN...

:D Cheers!

You have discounted percentages.

First of all there are more men in the Home Depot (and elsewhere) who are not van dwellers than there are van dwellers.

Second a lot of men who are van dwellers are coming out of relationships where being on their own is a lot more important to them than getting into a long term relationship.

@ maki
So true. The dwellers tend to be in the parking lot and not in the store. 
-crofter

Of course it us easier for women. ....wow at last a woman who likes adventure!

Not that all women who travel solo are looking for a romantic type of relationship. Many are not.

Speaking for myself - it would be nice if it happened, but the days when a romantic or sexual relationship was a priority are long gone. Not waiting on anyone, of any gender, to have a good time.

jacqueg said:
Speaking for myself - it would be nice if it happened, but the days when a romantic or sexual relationship was a priority are long gone. Not waiting on anyone, of any gender, to have a good time.

I understand that not all seek relationships or prioritize them(I do because nothing else gives me the same rush) And I want to go full time on the road and I'm really enjoying my test run so far, but yes my odd's of finding a "life long" road partner will factor in my choice of going full time
 So I've been talking to fulltime vandwelling couples with 2 or more years under their belt together. So far I'm learning good things that it surprisingly it seems easier than in the S&B world I've already met a few women at a meetup who seem interested one has been texting nightly she may be a bit too young for me though(I'm 50 she is 32), I look younger than my age so that happens sometimes.
but looking at her I know if she was in the S&B world I would not have a shot with her lol as the criteria seems to be different(many women have said as much talking about how most of their pre vandwelling ex's would be useless in this life lol).

Intergenerational dating, you be brave CSC. You could wind up on the baby track there with a 30 YO and that biological clock ticking.

I tend to stick within 5 years of my own age:

40's you are still in the Empire Builder phase and part of the rat race, yet you begin to face ageism socially.

50's is the best decade, you are free and physically fit. 

60's is much harder with more losses and grief, plus you have to deal with Social Security & fixed income.

70's is where the rubber hits the road. If you still have your health there is lots of fun stuff to do.

80's are the truly tough RVers and have it figured out.

90's & independent you should be in close community or extended family to avoid being vulnerable.
-crofter YMMV

That why I prefer dating within 10 years either direction  :D    I have an acquaintance who it 69 who has a 4 year old daughter from a former bootie call, he got custody because the mother(36) has a drug problem (basically he was a sugar daddee) He rolled the dice and got snake eyes lol. he will be 83 when that girl turns 18 lol.

For some there is intrigue for dating much older partner  Women who are thru the changes don't have to worry about unwanted pregnancy or birth control.  Women who are into their later 30's are beginning to get their "teen age boy" hormones. (but they have to be careful)  Cougars are becoming more accepted today.

A lot of younger women find older men quite exciting.

Since most men are visual and women's appearance is natively attractive to them the females have this working for them. (and against them too)

A male nomad in a rig may not be what she's always been taught to consider when qualifying  a man as
a prospect.  Still the girls who are looking for some thrills may want to meet some male van nomads as they know that after the fun is over he will move on. (you know....passing stranger)

One website I'll mention for those looking for younger & older is:

Ageless Love Forum