Which van??? Help!!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adventureisoutthere

Reaction score
So, here is my dilemna... I have been looking at several different vans for traveling in. I want something already set up as I don't really want to spend time doing a conversion myself. I have an opportunity to buy from a friend a 1983 VW Westfalia which my friend has had for many years. He drove it around the States a few years ago and that was the last time he used it. It needs some work, but is basically in good shape. Then, I've been looking at a couple of Dodge campervans (Frontier) from 81 and 83. My mechanic friend suggests going with the Dodge as they are cheaper to maintain. Any one have any thoughts, suggestions? The

Not gonna lie, I agree with your friend! I've watched many a video of those Westfalia's being pushed and then hauled away!!

But they're so cool, cute even!

One stage of my life I had a rolling-over collection of '61-63 Beetles I was picking up for $100-250, so I always had parts to keep one good one on the go.

Got to the point I could swap out the whole engine in 20 minutes, hanging the bumper off a tree limb, log and plank "jack", only four big bolts and a few connections. Those were good times. . .

These new-fangled 80's models wouldn't be so easy to work on. :cool:

John Muir's "How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive" stopped a few years before that. . .

If you have the coin, a VW van is insta cred! But if you don't... In the end, hope you find your gas guzzlin' partner!

What Wabbit said seemed to be you will need lots of cash to deal with the very well documented Westfalia issues, unless it already has the Subie engine transplant. Even then...

If you don't have a lot of cash and time and tools then follow your mechanic's advice.  Sorry to say it but the cult status of a Westy is for people with means...

Latest posts