Which Size Mr Buddy?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do ya'll think maybe just cracking one of the front windows like half an inch would be good enough ventilation for use with the small mr buddy heater? Or do you think it should be more than that?

IIRC the Wave 6 Manual said something about 24 Square inches part high part low.

waverider1987 said:
Do ya'll think maybe just cracking one of the front windows like half an inch would be good enough ventilation for use with the small mr buddy heater?  Or do you think it should be more than that?

Think about what you've just written, you are betting your life on the opinions of a bunch of strangers. Every fuel burning appliance in every home of any size is potentially deadly and so it comes with a manual that gives very exact details about safe installation and use. Never use a fuel burning appliance inside any structure without knowing for a fact you are following the manuals instructions. All portable heaters come with one telling you how much ventilation you must give them.

If you've lost the manual, you can download it from the manufacturer as a .pdf.

Don't guess with your life, get the manual and follow it exactly.
Bob

I will read the manual..I just haven't received the product yet. I think it should come today though. Don't worry, I only take with a grain of salt people's "expert advice", i've done more research on my own than i've done of asking questions. But I do believe most people on here have more EXPERIENCE with these things than I do, but yes, I can read a manual, I just like getting people's advice, too.

so the product you buy will have a minimum fresh air ventilation requirement. so lets use the 24 square inches as an example. if you cracked your front window 1 inch you would need that crack to be 24 inches long. that would give you your 24"sq. now you can have any combination to get to the final 24"sq, like multiple windows opened a crack, just as long as you meet the minimum requirements. hope this helps without being confusing. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
so the product you buy will have a minimum fresh air ventilation requirement.   so lets use the 24 square inches as an example.  if you cracked your front window 1 inch you would need that crack to be 24 inches long.  that would give you your 24"sq.  now you can have any combination to get to the final 24"sq,  like multiple windows opened a crack,  just as long as you meet the minimum requirements.  hope this helps without being confusing.  highdesertranger

Yes, it does, thank you

My buddy heater came with instructions that said how to set up proper ventilation. I have a vent on the roof and added a low point vent for a fresh air intake. Basically, there needs to be a fresh air intake and an exhaust.

To add to what HDR just said.

The part about high and low.
If you open a vent up high and another down low that would set up an airflow through the rig . Warm "polluted" air exiting up high and cool fresh entering through the low.

The 24 sq in was in the Wave 6 manual. That is 6000btu .
It would be a good idea to proportionally increase the opening for more btu.
I used that as an example to give an idea of someplace to start.

As Bob mentioned , reading the manual for your heater would probably yield more specific numbers.

(I have weep holes built into my many windows and a bad gasket seal around my entry door , the fridge box doesn't seal around the non original fridge ,my dash vents don't seal when not in use, etc etc. so always have lots of "uncounted" venting going on too. )

I use a Mr Buddy, 4000-9000 btu, in a 112 sq-ft space and it does a decent job. On low, don't expect to get a full night's worth of heat out of a 1lb propane cylinder. I use it to supplement an electric ceramic heater. Mr Buddy heaters are either 'On' or 'Off' where as the ceramic heater cycles as the space heats up and cools off.

Depending how well the space is insulated, you may have condensation. You'll need to monitor the inside and outside temperatures and humidity. If you keep the inside dew point temperature less than the outside temperature, condensation shouldn't be an issue.

Get a Carbon Monoxide Detector for additional safety. I would recommend one with a meter that has a digital display.

Finally got it! Says 4 square inches...should be easy enough to do.

Sorry for this off topic post!

Good luck on your spring break travels. I subscribed to your YouTube channel for updates.

You don't need to wait to try out some of your gear and processes. Roll out the sleeping bag and mattress on the floor and start using them. Now is the time to get your morning routine sorted out. Roll out of the sleeping bag, do your morning tasks and head to school. On your trip it'll be like waking up, sorting out your kit and hitting the road.

Sounds strange, but tape off a small section of a kitchen counter that's sized for the space you have to prepare your meals in your vehicle and work within that space. Fire up your cook stove and start preparing meals with the pots and pans you intend to take.

By all means take your cat and keep a journal. It doesn't have to be paragraph after paragraph of text, small bullet points work for me.

I've been your age once, in college, living at my parents house, little or no privacy and money, often retreating to a local library or county park for solitude and piece of mind. There was no internet at that time. I had loving parents that always cared. Both wanted me to go to school, mom wanted college, but dad wanted me in the trades. There was always some tension there, but it all worked out. Just before mom's passing she told me I was her hero, and just before dad passed in July last year, he said he very proud of me. I miss them both.

Give it some time, focus and finish school. Wither it be joining the military, going to college or getting into the trades, the best investment you'll ever make is in yourself.

LoupGarou