Which Size Mr Buddy?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waverider1987

Reaction score
For a toyota 4-runner, I saw this small model for a 100sq ft room, and thought it would do well enough, but it only runs for 5 hours.http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=2079475242&pf_rd_i=desktop

Is that good enough, you think, or better to go with one of the larger ones? http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-F23..._UL160_SR144,160_&refRID=031MYRPPZ6DXQHNBPYPM

Says it runs 48 to 100 hours.  I guess the longer running one would make more sense, but just wondered if anyone uses the smaller version and likes it over the bigger one...

Thanks

The lower the BTU rating the longer a tank of propane will last.
You can adapt to a bigger tank to get longer burn time if you have the space.
If the one you have is the round one , it has the lowest btu and longest burn time.

Buddy.....  by Mr. Heater?

Lately I am finding my three Buddy heaters, two Big Buddies and one Portable Buddy, are not running as long as rated.  I suspect the one pound cartridges are being short changed on filling.  My one-tank Portable Buddy should run seven and a half to eight hours.  Currently it has run no more than five hours on the ladt few tanks.

rvpopeye said:
The lower the BTU rating the longer a tank of propane will last.
You can adapt to a bigger tank to get longer burn time if you have the space.
If the one you have is the round one , it has the lowest btu and longest burn time.

So i could essentially screw the round one onto a larger cylinder and run it for longer, i guess...

You need the proper hose to use a bulk (larger) tank.

My Buddy only gets 5-6 hours on a green tank.
I use a 1 gallon bulk tank, hose, and Buddy filter.

Bob did a video where he used a 5 gallon bucket to secure a little Buddy. A 1 gal bulk tank will fit in a bucket.

Mr Heater has a filter and an  adapter hose to connect to a 20# tank.
Bob used to use this set up , I think I recall there was a video showing it .\
Probably somewhere on this site is the link.

Hi, I had the little one, the first one u gave the link to, and returned it and got the bigger one. In my experience the little one did not work very well at all to heat up a van, had to run a long time, the second one would do it quickly also the first one did not have a stable base. Wishing w well:)

Just reread your post and saw u are in a forerunner, I will be in a truck, the first one could do it, but to me the base is the problem. I like to get me and the dog out of the vehicle, watch from outside, heat everything throughly and then get back in and just run it a bit, less chance of fumes. I didn't feel safe doing this with the first one. Just my expereice, we all have different ones:)

I've had several of those. From various mfg's.
The screens keep burning out and then the flame got real big. :s Nyaaaa- aaaa
Two just stopped working . clogged orfice ??? :huh:

I feel much safer (and warmer) with my Buddy
I feel the extra cost worth it.
When it's burning the pads look a lot like the one on my Wave 6 catalytic did .
I have the Big Buddy 4Kbtu-9Kbtu-18Kbtu and am using it in a 23' class C RV.
1" thick walls and big windows......
Nighttime temps have ranged -20 to +40 (9K will keep it comfy at -20 and 4K will be too much at +40, 18K will warm it up pretty quick at any temp.
Buddy has never set off my CO detector , the others did a time or two even with a vent partly open for ventilation....

Anyone know if those little green ones are refillable at a propane station? I assume not, but just wondering if anyone's done this

That looks cool, never dealt with it before though.

Tryingning to edit! I don't think so on the filling the little green ones. I only read half of the thread, question already answered, learning

when running the heater inside the van at night when sleeping, is it a good idea to crack a window?

Any propane heater (not furnaces) needs to have fresh air (carbon monoxide).  You may also want to get a carbon monoxide detector to go with it, you don't want to wake up dead.  I think they state somewhere how many square inches are required based on the size of the heater.  You also want ventilation to help with the water they produce.

Another reason for ventilation is any combustion uses OXYGEN. Don't run out !