Which battery terminal to use?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scout

Reaction score
I have 2 12 volt agm batteries wired in parallel . To prevent having so many connections on one terminal is it possible to hook my fuse block to one positive and negative and my charge controller to the other two?
I've also read to use the postive on one battery and the negative on the other to balance the discharged between the batteries.
I really shouldn't have many connections. I have the wires to parallel them, the +/- fuse block, and the charge controller. Im using a MRBF with double studs one for my fuse block and an extra for an inverter in the future.

How to inter-connect multiple batteries and why. http://www.smartgauge.co.uk/batt_con.html Use method #2. You can have two connections to one terminal. I suggest you use a bus bar if you have many connections. With charge controller, the battery should stay balanced with neg on one and pos on other. The same with discharge even if opposite posts. neg on other and pos on one.

Yes method 2 is want i would use. Loads are on the top right and bottom left. Then I was thinking about the charge controller going to the top left and bottom right.
I don't think I have a lot of connections to use a bus bar but if i do, I just hook it to the positive and negative (separately) with a bigger wire and put all my connections on the extra screws right?

I have my two 12V batteries hooked up with the charge controller going to the positive post on one battery and the negative post on the other. Outgoing current uses the remaining posts. (Of course, the two batteries are connected to each other, positive to positive, negative to negative.)

Always hook up your charging wires to the same terminals that you use to draw a load from. Without exception. As has been already stated, bus bars are your friend.