Where

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought the original post was a very intelegent way of making the statement that the education of life traveled far surpasses the book stuff, thus the only thing left to do is what I did, did I make a mistake?

Papas,

No, I made the mistake of taking Owl's words literally, at face value. At least it made me laugh when it was brought to my attention. A real forehead slapper.

Btw, the name "Del" is quite dear to me. The first time you posted it, I had quite a start!

Best wishes to all, and to all a good night.

What does Del mean to you Stargazer?
In my case it is short for DelMont son Of Delbert who's brother was LaMont....I tried to mane my 1st son Sean LaMont, but got overruled by in-laws who were in the hospital room when the nurse came by to ask what name we had chosen.

But I did get to name my daughter Randi Joe

You can learn stuff while traveling?! Who knew! Lol. I've learned to slow down and not be in a big hurry, I'll eventually get where I'm going, but I might as well enjoy the journey there. I also learned to always have extra water, so now I consider having only having 5 gallons left as empty, and wander off in search of water. The more literal, I've only been up and down the west coast so far with Ferdy. The east coast scares me a little, and haven't gotten that brave yet.

I posted this question a few moons back, I believe that a formal education does much less for you than travel. Now before you get your butt on your shoulders to defend your education let me explain. Education, as most experience it, is folks telling you about others experiences. I believe the best education is travel, opens you up to different worlds. Expands your mind, allows you to decide life's mysteries. Care to share?

Traveling is great for homeschooling & both :) contribute to meaningful & valuable education
let's see:
> Germany (Hohndorf, Oelsnitz, Stollberg, Zwickau, etc)
> Prague, Czechoslovakia
> south of NY, all of the Atlantic coast states down to Fla. St. Petersburg)
> Disney World
> the gulf states
> New Mexico (Alamogordo, Albuquerque, etc.)
> Canada, Quebec
> Utah (SLC, Provo, Orem, etc)
> U.S. Route 101 (US 101) in California
> Disney land
> the World's Fair Expo '86 in Vancouver BC.
> WA-state (7 cities), & the State Fair, &  
> best yet in Wa. its magnificent forests...

Okay, I'll add mine!

Not in my van until November, and even then, I'll be sticking to Colorado and west.

My lifetime travels?

In no particular order....
Prague, Czechia (lived there total of 1 year)
Split, Croatia (lived there 6 months)
Budapest, Hungary
London/Brentwood, UK
Fort Leonard Wood, MO (Summer of 1987)
Boca Raton, FL
Portland, OR (lived there 7 years)
Medford, OR (lived there 2 years)
Parker, AZ
I-15 north to Salt Lake City, then east on I-80 to Laramie, WY (3 months)
Airports in Copenhagen, Paris and Moscow

[font=Raleway, Helvetica, Arial, Lucida, sans-serif]“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.” – Mark Twain[/font]

owl said:
Don't tell me how educated you are, tell me where you traveled .

"There are 3 virtues to man: that he has traveled far - for travel brings wisdom; that he speak well - that s/he may tell others of what they have seen; and that one can fight - to whip the man who doesn't believe them!"
- Louis L'Amour, The Walking Drum

Well, when I was young I traveled rather extensively - through the books I read. Took some combination of time and money to move myself through the physical realm that I just didn't possess at the time. But I did dream of sailing away.

I'm a sailor now, and when I'm not on a ship I live on wheels, except for those times I hop on a jet plane. Can't seem to ever stop moving - certainly have no wish to do so. But the places, they're just a blur mostly. The people, those I DO remember, mostly anyways.

And so another quote comes to mind... "Distances are meaningless, like the hands that wind around the clock."

But I've picked up some stories along the way, sea stories and otherwise :) Like this one here...

What's the difference between a sea story and a fairy tale? The fairy tale starts out "Once upon a time..." The sea story starts out "This ain't no s**t..."

MaTaLa said:
[font=Raleway, Helvetica, Arial, Lucida, sans-serif]“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.” – Mark Twain[/font]

This is so right on, and it's not such a wonder since it's from Mark Twain.  This hits the nail on the head for me, and just maybe the most important reason I want to travel and meet people, face to face.

This last year especially, I've found myself taking "sides" in this whole political upheaval.  What I realized was what a difference it is to meet, maybe someone you thought would be your enemy, face to face.  I want to get out and meet people of every kind.  I am grateful for the internet being developed, but the worst thing about it, to me, is misunderstanding people, or, how easy it is for me to blurt out things I'd never say to someone's face.  At least I sure hope not.

For me it is very easy to love people and accept their ways in person.  I can get a whole picture of what someone is like, in my head, and meeting them in person is always so very different.  I'm not saying I haven't met some real pukes, but ya know, they may think the same of me. I sure doubt the latter because I'm so perfect :angel: Angel crashing now :D All those preconceived ideas of what people are like go down the drain, most times, to heck with stereotyping;)

Excellent post MaTaLa

I'm the OP. Last days of 2013. That the question is still getting hits is not due to me but to you. The intent was to get an interchange that would help folks understand who we are and how incredibly diverse this tribe is.

Make the most of where you are, see everything you can. Experience what's available. You may never pass this way again.

That is us. We are closer to total freedom now and when that does happen, we will never pass this way again. We are moving and moving and exploring and exploring. Canada, Mexico and USA. We can hit all that in our limited lifetime now due to age and we are thrilled with this monster opportunity we can handle and at this point it is what we want. Freedom to move forward all the time as we see fit.

Travels are Canada, Puetro Rico, USA are all the east coast states and into the middle like TN, AL and TX and haven't hit west but it is sure in our sites. Some limited travel to NV and CA for skiing etc. but those were 'shortie' trips and destinations, not our wanderings. We travel a lot. It is our goal. Our goal is not to sit at home, our goal has always been to move move move somewhere new, change of scenery, new experiences when we could set our life aside. I get it, we are those who want to see it all now on what time we have left but in our own personal way, never will anyone else have a say on how we explore life.

Roamer, I think that was very well said.

Thanks owl.
for us I think when the moment truly clicks, ya get the big picture of what one wants to do vs. what one has been programmed to do in their lives :) We dropped out of the program LOL

Unless I'm engaging someone to accomplish a goal that requires a certain knowledge base why would I want to know how educated someone is, rhetorical question.

While I'd rather discuss travels, what's really of value to me is you sharing some of your soul with me as I do with you, with genuineness, authenticity and with as little judgement as we can. What we talk about then is immaterial.

When the heart speaks it says much more than words.

I get that MaTaLa, life is not black and white, this or that, the soul which can not be counted on paper and character of a human is not tangible, but it shows depth when one sees the truth of a person thru experience with that individual.