Where

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

owl

Reaction score
Don't tell me how educated you are, tell me where you traveled .

A quote, I thought it made sense here. maybe not

Hither, thither and yon! Where the winds have blown me, the waves have washed me and the flood has dropped me.

Corky

jean, the quote is from Mohammed. Not your brother in law, Muhammed.

Depending on whether you are Jewish or not.

The point is educated, so what, where have you traveled? Tell us where you have traveled. Impress elsewhere with your bonifides.

owl said:
Don't tell me how educated you are.........

There's more than a little irony in some of the response to this thread so far, heh.

~I'm an air conditioned gypsy, watch the police and taxman miss me~

Right Alt, the weird desire to appear on every thread by some here is bizzare. Don't contribute something worthy, just post, post, post. 60 to 70% of the posts here are by 2% of the members. Take over the thread and conduct cutesy conversations between 3 or 4 folks entirely ignoring the original point. There is a thread on here about Quartzsite, pages and pages of stuff, 70% posted by the same poster. I guess to see how long it can be drug out. No offense to anyone in particular intended.

Well, I'm sure many would prefer "cutesy" over "snarky".

owl said:
Right Alt, the weird desire to appear on every thread by some here is bizzare. Don't contribute something worthy, just post, post, post. 60 to 70% of the posts here are by 2% of the members. Take over the thread and conduct cutesy conversations between 3 or 4 folks entirely ignoring the original point. There is a thread on here about Quartzsite, pages and pages of stuff, 70% posted by the same poster. I guess to see how long it can be drug out. No offense to anyone in particular intended.

What's your problem?? Isn't this a social site??
If I want to post a Quartzsite thread, or any subject, and post to it often why should you object?? Don't like my posts....don't read the damn things.

And yes, I do find your snide comments offensive.
Perhaps you should take advantage of the "Ignore" feature so you don't have to put up with my participation on this site.
Better yet....maybe start your own site so you can control who posts and how much.

We've missed the mark here on this thread and gone off track.

Unfortunately this is happening too often and the reason is generally the same. One member of the forum decides he needs to correct another member of the forum. For whatever reason (real or imagined) their posts are not living up to his standard.

Here is the solution:

If you are NOT a moderator, you are NOT allowed to pass judgment on other peoples posts. You are NOT allowed to correct them, or point out their errors.

Of course, you are welcomed to disagree with peoples opinions and ideas, and to make your counter-point with kindness and respect. BUT you don't get to pass any judgement on them or how often they post or why they post or the quality of their posts. That is a personal attack that will not be tolerated.

If you think someones posts are doing harm to the forum community as a whole, we have a method in place for you to communicate that to the moderators. There is a "Report" Button at the bottom of the posts and if you don't like the attitude of a post or see a problem with a post, click it and bring it to the attention of the Moderators. DO NOT TAKE ACTIONS YOURSELF. DO NOT CORRECT OTHER MEMBERS DIRECTLY. That inevitably leads to problems just like this one.

I owe you all an apology, I allowed a post to go uncorrected that attacked another member and of course the other member didn't like being attacked. I apologize. My primary job is to make this a safe place for everyone, and I failed you.

In my defense, it is not an easy job. If we are too strict, people get upset and start screaming about "censorship". If we are too lax, the place to goes to hell. But I clearly failed this time and I do sincerely apologize.

So we are all going to learn from this and move on. I've laid down a flat law of the Forum and I will be more decisive in enforcing it in the future.

NO MEMBER EXCEPT A MODERATOR IS ALLOWED TO CORRECT THE QUALITY OR QUANTITY OF ANOTHER MEMBERS POSTS IN ANY WAY. if you think something needs to be done, hit the "Report Button" or email myself or another moderator to make your case.
Bob

Okay. I see 16 posts here and not a single one answered the OP's question. How bout I begin?

In the two plus years that I have had my van, I have been in almost every state in the Lower 48 (missed CT, FL and CA), BC, Yukon Territory, and AK (yep, the Haul Road). All in this van, an E-150 conversion, not a high-top, which contains a bed mounted on top of three two-drawer nightstands, a couple of small ottomans, a small bench, an ice chest, a Coleman stove, a Mr. Heater Buddy heater, a couple of battery powered fans. No plumbing, no solar or alternate power source. I boondocked, dispersed, campgrounded (National, State and County Parks), truck stopped, rest area-ed, WalMarted, and a couple of times stayed in private RV parks (showers and laundromats). Each place I visited did not meet my NatGeo-inspired expectations; yet, each place I visited showed me something so unexpected as to make it memorable and yes, life changing over time.

Other places I have seen, some obviously not in the van, include northern Mexico, Hawaii, Guatemala, Southern Europe (coastal Mediterranean), and Tunisia.

My most cherished memories involve people I met along the way, who had most interesting stories to tell. Seemingly ordinary people who have lived or are living extraordinary lives. A chance remark here or there from a total stranger can set in motion a completely unforeseen chain of events.

I full-time now, in a 15 ft TT parked in an RV park as a home base. When I travel, it's in the van -- the TT stays behind (pun intended).

Funny thing...while chasing happiness, I stumbled upon peace.

Ahh, the joys of internet communications. It is pointed out to me that Owl was not actually asking where we have traveled, rather he was making the point that travel can educate one more so than formal education. I must have missed his point. Where, oh where, did I get the idea he wanted to know:

"where have you traveled? Tell us where you have traveled." Owl's post #11.

Some days, innocence and naivety are my closest companions.

Please don't appologise for post #17 Star!

Road reports are one of my favorite things to read, as they give me travel fodder ideas!! :D

Looks like you've gotten a few miles under your vans wheels!!

I must admit there are several threads going right now that the Original Post didn't seem clear to me so if the thread wanders around i think there is no real harm done. The great majority of times people are genuinely trying to be as helpful as they can and that's all you can ask or hope for.

A good heart is more important than clear writing (although clear writing is extremely helpful as well!).
Bob