• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Van Living Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Where to start?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenee

Reaction score
Looking to build/buy/trade/beg/borrow/steal a skoolie.  I am planning to not renew my lease next spring - lease is up June 1.  I would consider paying for the school bus to be a basic build-out (insulation, electric, and plumbing), and slowly work on the rest as I go.  But, I don't know which bus builder to use.  How do I know which one will give me a good deal?

Hi Jenee,

Your plans sound wonderful and it is nice to meet you! I am new too, but want to welcome you. I'm just doing a camper-build, and been dreaming, probably a few years if I look back ;) Lots of help here for you, and great people, you'll be getting more replies for sure, and welcomes, Denise!

Welcome Jenee to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

Highdesertranger

There's a skoolie project down the road from me that I've seen no activity on for more than five years now. It just sits there in the driveway. I know it started to be a skoolie because he got as far as raising the roof and putting the windows back in. I've thought about stopping to ask about it, but my wife would kill me if I'd picked up a project that big...and if I had it, I'm sure that I couldn't afford to actually use it.

Earlier this year I saw a bunch of skoolies short and long for sale in my state on the .gov auction site.

Let me try to get the exact link

Your first step could be joining one of the numerous skoolie forums on the internet including one on facebook. Also hgo pn youtube whete you will find many videos that have links to other skoolie organizations. you might even consider going to a skoolie rally or two.

In the future you will have more success by being specific in the thread subject. Rather that "Where to Start?" that could be anything, try something like"Want to Buy Schoolie". And as jacqueg brought up, give your area of the country that you would consider traveling to inspect/purchase a bus.

Tried Craig's List? Here are two from my area of NW Florida.
https://panamacity.craigslist.org/hvo/d/wewahitchka-02-school-bus/7355118282.html
https://panamacity.craigslist.org/hvo/d/panama-city-school-bus-1995/7345920789.html

Welcome to the forum.

Guy