Where to get drinking water

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nomad X

Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed that Walmart has apparently decided there’s more money to be made selling drinking water in $1 jugs as they phase out - or do not include in “rehabs” or new stores - the machines where you fill your own jug for 39 cents@gallon?

The time is coming you won’t be able to fill up your drinking water for cheap at Walmart. I have noticed that some Quiktrip stores are adding water refill stations at their new stores. Are there any other refill options other than the standalone ice/water vendors?

Most of the standalone vendors I've used (FL and TX) are about the same price as Walmart (actually <39¢/gallon). Was there something you especially liked about Walmart / disliked about the others, besides the price?

I have always had good experiences asking at truck/car (big with easy access and lots of pumps) filling stations. I even found free water and dump in Gila Bend. You just need to look and ask.

Check inside... The WalMart where I live in Moreno Valley has the water filling station indoors deep insdide the store actually.... back near the dairy.

Most grocery stores have them. Also pharmacies.

Water machines around Arizona are generally .25/gal or 5 gal./1.00. Some are just a quarter/gal with no dollar deal.

National Parks Pass gets you access to water as well as many other services, just ask.

Yesterday I got my drinking water from the Glacier machine outside of the Safeway in Lake Havasu. Best priced vending machine so far, 15 cents per gallon, 75 cents for 5 gallons. I use 1 gallon jugs that Arizona tea comes in for refilling with drinking water at the vending machines. Very sturdy jugs, never had one leak or get damaged in going on 2 years time!

I am just about to deal with this issue.
Need about 25 gallons a week. @ 40 cents at machines that's $40 month.
But sometimes you have no choice.

The link below is what my local Walmart has and gives you locations and whether they have dispenser in store or outside. Which is a good thing to know.

In desert there is always from what I have seen some entrepreneur who has a water dispenser...

https://primowater.com/find-shop/

You drink 25 gallons/week? Now that's some well flushed out kidneys!

Or is that for several people?

Lol... No I actually only drink the water in coffee and pour it on my head to cool off or wash up. I have 7 pets live with me. Was 8, the 16 yr old heeler passed on. They drink a lot when it's warm. I have gotten free high mountain creek water for 10 years.

I am going by what I used last summer which was about 25 gallons in 10 days.
Moving in 2 days from Pacific Northwest to NM... A bit warmer, much drier.

Life on the road will push you into water conservation unless you plan to stay at full hookup RV parks.
That’s the truth. It does not matter how much water you lug around in your camper, it’s never enough. I pack about 20 gals in 3 5-gal gerry cans and 5 milk jugs. I use a foot pump for the 5-gal cans. But, if I had a 100 gal tank, I doubt it would change my mentality because I would have to haul it around (~850 lbs!) with a behemoth RV and eventually refill that tank…patiently. I’m loath to waste water, and even if I know where to get water, getting it is still a hassle. It’s not like you have a choice.
Which brings us to the original question, you have to have water. That means it is always to a certain extent in the back of your mind, reminding you this is the one part of your beautiful #vanlife that you cannot ignore. It is a prison that you will always be in with this lifestyle. This is not the full hookup RV park lifestyle. This is the I’m-not-breathing-your-campfire-smoke, the I’m-not-listening-to-your-favorite-LedZeplin-song-at-midnight, the I’m-not-pretending-your-generator’s-incessant-hum-does-not-bother-me! lifestyle. It’s the I want to camp/boondock/park-up where I want to lifestyle. Sounds like freedom. It is not! Water is a ball and chain. If you can’t haul it, no one else will. And this lifestyle will wither and die.
As for finding water, after much consternation, you develop eagle eyes and instinct when you get near a water source. For instance, you walk into Safeway just to buy groceries—you’ve got enough water—and as you’re driving away a voice in the back of your head tells whether there was a Glacier/Primo water machine out front. You weren’t looking for water, but you did look for water without thinking about it. You get good at finding it, but it takes awhile.
Yeah, finding water. It sucks! The least amount of time you spend on that the better. Try to economize. Ditto!

Reactions: Sky
But sometimes you have no choice.

The link below is what my local Walmart has and gives you locations and whether they have dispenser in store or outside. Which is a good thing to know.

In desert there is always from what I have seen some entrepreneur who has a water dispenser...

https://primowater.com/find-shop/
My water consumption is based on my dogs too. Fact is they’ve been raised on filtered water & balk at tap/city water. I have found more & more towns are having “water” stores open up. In Kingman there a store @ 5/$1 or .25/ gal. They also have a large hose for .05 of reg city water. Walmart has the .29/gal. Primo water. I’ve just had to make it a priority to shop
Water like other specific needs items. A challenge being raised in ‘water/magic’ world where it miraculously flows from any spigot you find for free!! Lol

Reactions: Sky
Sounds like freedom. It is not! Water is a ball and chain.
That's a bit dramatic... :eek::p

I'd put getting water in the same category as the need to buy food and gas. It's just something I do every week or two. It's cheap and easy. 5 gal for washing, 5 for drinking per week.

That's a bit dramatic... :eek::p

I'd put getting water in the same category as the need to buy food and gas. It's just something I do every week or two. It's cheap and easy. 5 gal for washing, 5 for drinking per week.
I have no problem getting food or gas. Google “grocery store” or Google “gas station” and either deficiency is quickly resolved. If there is some way to find water, as reliably, I’d like to know. Of course, once you’re in an area for awhile, getting water is just a routine. But, traveling, especially in unfamiliar areas, it’s not just a matter of googling “water” to find some. Google is likely to route you to the nearest water utility office. So, you really need to learn where to look for it.
5 gallons drinking water per week? That sounds about right.

I have no problem getting food or gas. Google “grocery store” or Google “gas station” and either deficiency is quickly resolved. If there is some way to find water, as reliably, I’d like to know.
Most gas stations have water taps. Some may be turned off and you need a key-type wrench to turn on. I've asked at several gas stations and convenience stores over the years and have always been able to fill a 7 gallon utility jug or my 10 gallon tank. The fact that I always bought either gas or snacks from them probably helped, I'm sure.

Last edited:
I have no problem getting food or gas. Google “grocery store” or Google “gas station” and either deficiency is quickly resolved. If there is some way to find water, as reliably, I’d like to know.
I did it for many years before google existed. In most towns that have poor tap water, there will be RO vending machines at stores. Not hard to find. For wash water I'd look at parks, gas stations, forest stations, etc. Not hard.

And that is only if I've never been to that town before. If I have, then I know exactly where to go. Even in the boonies in Mexico where I didn't know the language it wasn't hard. Getting food down there was sometimes an ordeal though. I remember regularly going to 3 different groceries in Loreto to survey what they had, then doing the buying round...