When was the forum sold?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WVWildflower

Reaction score
I joined when this was cheaprvliving, because of Bob. I love Bob.

Anyway, is this now primarily a vandwellers forum like the Instagram 20 year olds are doing (vanlife)? I'm a little confused since I haven't been active since the change. It doesn't seem that way. This used to be the nomad forum.

Thanks

It seems totally different, I can't place it though. It seems quieter here now, at least.

It wasn't even that long ago!

This entire post is just my opinion, and not based on any cold hard facts. But here it is:

We used to field a lot more nuts-n-bolts type questions from newbies....how to wire up batteries and solar panels and charge controllers, what gauge wire to use, fridge questions, etc. Also, questions about how to downsize and minimize, change residency, and where to go, when to go there, and who to camp with....etc.

This was primarily due, I think, to the fact that most of the new and incoming people knew they could come on board here and ask those questions and we had a lot of members who would step up and try to help. We also had a lot of Bob's fans and of course, we have lost some of those. And the RTR just hit a peak of attendance a few years ago and then POOF...government regs and POOF...covid.

And now, a lot of this type of nomad/vanlife content for newbies is splashed all over youtube and other places....its not a narrow fringe of people doing the nomad thing, its now a much larger and broader percent of the population...what with digital nomads, caravans, a zillion youtube channels, and of course, other forums and vanlife social networks and websites...and dont forget all the nomad and vanlife rallies and van builds and such. So...if you are new and have questions....youtube is your friend.

Now it seems to me that our little corner of the nomad universe is mainly a group of us old-timers with a lifetime of knowledge and experience and we are standing in line to jump on any topic that will keep us occupied. I'm guilty of that one for sure.

I'd love to see some 'new blood' in here...and especially those who are out there successfully 'living the dream'...its just that many of those nomads and RVers are actually 'living the dream'...and are not on this forum seeking answers. Or so it seems to me.

So....we will ride the wave as long as we can and who knows what the future has in store.

I didn't think there were other Nomad forums. There are some sub Reddit type things, that's all I have seen.

I joined when this was cheaprvliving, because of Bob. I love Bob.

Anyway, is this now primarily a vandwellers forum like the Instagram 20 year olds are doing (vanlife)? I'm a little confused since I haven't been active since the change. It doesn't seem that way. This used to be the nomad forum.

Thanks

Bob was great, but he moved on and sold out.

20 year old's can be nomads too and live in a Van or RV by choice or not. The forum is really dead and the new management has not done much to enhance the forum. Just seeking donations relentlessly.

Bob was great, but he moved on and sold out.

20 year old's can be nomads too and live in a Van or RV by choice or not. The forum is really dead and the new management has not done much to enhance the forum. Just seeking donations relentlessly.
I have gotten multiple emails already and am not a heavy user.

Bob was great, but he moved on and sold out. ... The forum is really dead and the new management has not done much to enhance the forum. Just seeking donations relentlessly.
Well "sold out" is a bit harsh isn't it? And I don't know about dead, we've been either partying or beating the tar out of each other pretty regularly as far as I can see. I mean they just had to call in Batman earlier today. Except SOMEBODY misplaced the Batphone.

And OK this isn't an argument just wondering. I don't get all these relentless requests for donations. And I'm not all that computer savvy, I just have the usual basic ad-blocking stuff. Aren't there settings you can set to avoid the worst of that stuff? Or do "they" just know I'm cheap?

And OK this isn't an argument just wondering. I don't get all these relentless requests for donations. And I'm not all that computer savvy, I just have the usual basic ad-blocking stuff. Aren't there settings you can set to avoid the worst of that stuff? Or do "they" just know I'm cheap?
Agree. I only got one request so far and it was pleasant enough. The forum is quieter than 2+ years ago, but many things changed in the past two years. It is not dead, though.

This entire post is just my opinion, and not based on any cold hard facts. But here it is:

We used to field a lot more nuts-n-bolts type questions from newbies....how to wire up batteries and solar panels and charge controllers, what gauge wire to use, fridge questions, etc. Also, questions about how to downsize and minimize, change residency, and where to go, when to go there, and who to camp with....etc.

This was primarily due, I think, to the fact that most of the new and incoming people knew they could come on board here and ask those questions and we had a lot of members who would step up and try to help. We also had a lot of Bob's fans and of course, we have lost some of those. And the RTR just hit a peak of attendance a few years ago and then POOF...government regs and POOF...covid.

And now, a lot of this type of nomad/vanlife content for newbies is splashed all over youtube and other places....its not a narrow fringe of people doing the nomad thing, its now a much larger and broader percent of the population...what with digital nomads, caravans, a zillion youtube channels, and of course, other forums and vanlife social networks and websites...and dont forget all the nomad and vanlife rallies and van builds and such. So...if you are new and have questions....youtube is your friend.

Now it seems to me that our little corner of the nomad universe is mainly a group of us old-timers with a lifetime of knowledge and experience and we are standing in line to jump on any topic that will keep us occupied. I'm guilty of that one for sure.

I'd love to see some 'new blood' in here...and especially those who are out there successfully 'living the dream'...its just that many of those nomads and RVers are actually 'living the dream'...and are not on this forum seeking answers. Or so it seems to me.

So....we will ride the wave as long as we can and who knows what the future has in store.
I agree. When I first joined in 2019 I really enjoyed the posts and at times found it hard to keep up with all the postings. I loved the new people questions, even if they were repeats, it showed the people still had concerns and questions. Now I log in and there are only about a dozen new posts and some of them have been running for a very long time (some with over a thousand responses???). I have to admit that I now search YouTube for many of my questions because there are so many people out there posting their stories. I follow over a dozen of them as they talk about their van conversions or travels. I have listened to some of their special places they visited and add them to my trips.