When computer is necessary Vs IOS ?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
maybe it's just me but I can't seem to give up my 27 inch monitor. I want to switch to just a cell phone and tablet. what I need is a phone that has built in projection so the screen is larger. yes I'm dreaming of the day. and I do not want to loose the thousands of text files i have and need, I have stored.

I only trust myself to back up my data. so I do not use cloud storage. over the last 20 plus years I have only lost 2 files that I know of and 1 link to to some pictures I wanted.

I keep both... my smartphone (no tablet) and my laptop. I tried to do the either/or and failed miserably.

First off, security. On a phone or tablet the majority of the screen is hidden from us by design. These areas that I can see clearly on a laptop screen are how I see clearly the clues that some website or email might be suspicious. On a phone/tablet, there's no real un-awkward, un-clumsy way to check URLs to know they are safe. So there's that. The process on a phone/tablet is very clumsy and time-consuming, if possible at all.

Second, logistics. While I CAN (my devices have the ability) to do everything on each device... I just cannot do everything at the same time. If I am doing some work on my laptop, I cannot simultaneously watch a movie on the same device, or sit through a webinar, etc. If I have a client on the phone, I cannot simultaneously check information, or access their files, on that same phone.

Aside from that I second, third, etc. other issues to consider that others have brought up... 3) what do YOU need to do on your devices, 4) how much power does it consume.

I have a 2021 iPad Pro and a 2021 Samsung Galaxy Tab 7. I edit videos, create art, surf the net, watch videos, and read books on my tablets. The only thing I need my laptop for is to watch DVD movies (which I don't do) and to complete 2 art courses I purchased on DVD. Other than that, I can't imagine ever needing an actual computer.

pretty good thread (except for annoying **!?, strange sentence construction and verbiage use that make what people are trying to say difficult to ascertain!)
and i guess its mostly what your use too. i have an android tablet that was gifted to me and i've never learned how to use as i've always had iphones. getting
to finally get an ipad after reading this thread. i will say that if you are "forced" into van life then yes i'd say you are close to being homeless, and if said van
breaks down you will be. i'm "hoping" to get into van life some day but the way things are going i'm just struggling to keep from being homeless! good luck
to the OP and thanks for the discussion.
jim

Sovryn said;
You and I are NOT homeless. That word is your enemy, NOT the world. The world IS our home, capiche?

not sure whats so wrong about stating things as they are? choice is the key to the definition. the world may be the home of our
species but its not very accurate to think of it in personal terms as you will quickly be reminded of such if you try and cross one of
the hundreds of national borders that exist. i do agree the world isn't our enemy but not sure its really my friend either...
jim

I have a 2021 iPad Pro and a 2021 Samsung Galaxy Tab 7. I edit videos, create art, surf the net, watch videos, and read books on my tablets. The only thing I need my laptop for is to watch DVD movies (which I don't do) and to complete 2 art courses I purchased on DVD. Other than that, I can't imagine ever needing an actual computer.
An iPad Pro model with a keyboard are really all the "laptop" 90+% of people need in general. Same can be said of a Chromebook, if you live in the Google ecosystem vs. Apple. I've used and own both, but I recommend the Apple ecosystem for almost all "regular folks."

I spent 33 years in the Corporate IT business. I am 100% a computer geek. I have been using a desktop computer or dumb terminal since 1982.
I currently have a desktop with Windows 10 that I am using to access this forum. I'm just used to doing it. TO BE FAIR, I am stationary in a 30 ft RV in an RV park. And for now, I have no plans to downsize further. or to go back on the road.

That being said, a laptop with a mouse and keyboard, or even an iPad with mouse and keyboard would suffice; I'm sure. I would have a real problem giving up the mouse.

Hope this helps,

Pat