what's the futur for gasoline van/RV/camper

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frenchie

Reaction score
On this new year's day, I was wondering if any vandwellers out there, think about what will happen in a few years, when electric automotive will take the place of gasoline vehicules ? Here in Canada, it's already known, that 2035 is the year where no more gasoline cars will be sold (truck and commercial vehicules are exclude) Right now I could sell my old 1990 class B RV 3 times the price I paid 3 years ago... what will happen in 10 years ???? Will our old rigs value will go down to nothing ??? Will they come out with ''gasoline/electric'' kits ??
Just worried a bit about it !

In ten years some believe that it will be too late. I'm not suggesting they are right or wrong. But I bet there will be an acceptable solution to large vehicles like RV's. I think it will be carbon credits on steroids. It could be retro fitted electric motors at each wheel and no more transmissions where a smaller gas motor is used to generate electricity, charge batteries, and run the motors, like a modern locomotive. Wouldn't that be nice? All the power you could ever want at your campsite. In fact it could be done now. All I need is an Acme locomotive kit and some more Lifepo4 batteries.

Reactions: Sky
A lot can happen in 10 years....and a lot of politicians and law-makers have NO idea how much damage is done to the earth from mining all the chemicals needed for millions of the large lithium batteries used in electric vehicles. Not to mention the added strain on the electrical grid, which is already strained, and all the additional coal we will have to mine, haul, and burn to make all this additional electricity.

Plus, available supplies of everything electronic is going to get tighter as time goes on.

Dont get in a hurry to sell out.

Last edited:
On this new year's day, I was wondering if any vandwellers out there, think about what will happen in a few years, when electric automotive will take the place of gasoline vehicules ? Here in Canada, it's already known, that 2035 is the year where no more gasoline cars will be sold (truck and commercial vehicules are exclude) Right now I could sell my old 1990 class B RV 3 times the price I paid 3 years ago... what will happen in 10 years ???? Will our old rigs value will go down to nothing ??? Will they come out with ''gasoline/electric'' kits ??

Well an electric Van that can charge wirelessly and run AC/Heat off grid for serval days would be incredibly awesome. But even by 2040 gas cars will still be around and used. I don't think these country's with there deadlines understand what is really needed to go full electric.

Gas vehicles values will rise and fall but they will still have value in 2035, they may even become more valuble.

What can also affect the trend in 10 years will be gaz pricing... if the demand for gasoline drop drastictically because of electric cars, then it would encourage us to keep our old rigs !

I for one think this is a very good question and you are right to ask it.

Realistically, I don't see a way to replace fossil fuels. If anything we'll become MORE dependent on fossil fuels as the demand for more electric energy to power millions of eCars comes about.

I'm keeping my truck until they come out with an anti-grav hydrogen fuel cell vehicle.

When I read about brown outs across the US, I wonder how the grid will handle rapid charging cars and other vehicles. Charging takes time and someone must be producing a lot more electricity then they are right now.
All of that, AND, what to do with used up batteries? Have these "electric vehicle" advocates thought about how they intend to dispose of used batteries used by the vehicles?

As with any technology in its early stages of development we haven't seen the best nor the final version. I'd bet lithium, by its rarity will be replaced with a new and better chemistry tomorrow. As to the gas guzzler, it wasn't all that long ago folks were talking about this back yard carburetor design that would get you 35mpg. Supposedly It was bought up by BIG business and buried forever. Well, now really, Toyota called it a Prius. How about computer controlled engines and self driving vehicles, you don't have to like them or drive them but they are here to stay in some version or another.

Given the number of gas/diesel powered vehicles in the world it will most likely be closer to a century before those 1950 Chevy Cuban Taxi's will no longer support a flux capacitor upgrade. :) But who knows, that grandson of the 35mpg carburetor, may be working on something now.

Anyway, I guess my real point is if the sky is actually falling in 10 years I'm not so worried. I'll most likely be dead.

just my ol 2¢

You go to Quartzsite and see who has new vehicles. Not many. Maybe by 2040 it might make a difference.

All of that, AND, what to do with used up batteries? Have these "electric vehicle" advocates thought about how they intend to dispose of used batteries used by the vehicles?
I have. You take them and grind them up mixed with sawdust and copper flakes and you plant banana trees in soil beds rich in these ingredients. The trees give off current. They are what is known as Current Trees. I've seen people looking for them at a few nurseries. It's the secret though. It takes the Lithium enriched soil, infused with copper flakes, and the right banana variety. I say go bananas.

You know? If we do all go to solar / generator powered vehicles in order to save the planet we might just be inviting our doom. There will be all this fossil fuel just waiting for outer space invaders to come and take it from us. It might be the primary reason for coming. But they might also like to breed us like cattle because we might just taste too good to pass up. I mean by leaving the fossil fuel like that we might just be considered dumb animals to them.

When I read about brown outs across the US, I wonder how the grid will handle rapid charging cars and other vehicles. Charging takes time and someone must be producing a lot more electricity then they are right now.
In much of the country putting up your own solar panels is very viable right now (price competitive). Generating enough won't be an issue.

They can be recycled. It's small scale now, it will be very viable once they are more common.

"Lithium Batteries

The contents of the batteries are exposed using a shredder or a high-speed hammer, depending on battery size. The contents are then submerged in caustic water. The caustic solution neutralizes the electrolytes, and ferrous and non-ferrous metals are recovered. The clean scrap metal is then sold to metal recyclers while the solution is then filtered. The carbon is recovered and pressed into moist sheets of carbon cake. Some of the carbon is recycled with cobalt. The lithium in the solution is converted to lithium carbonate. The lithium carbonate is used to make lithium ingot metal and foil for other batteries. It also provides lithium metal for resale and for the manufacture of sulfur dioxide batteries."

We could have huge savings if we'd legislate tiny electric cars for urban areas. Instead of 6,000 lb SUVs commuting and carrying one person (I mean really, something that large should be a home!), we could have < 1,000 lb electric cars. Need to restrict larger vehicles to the right lane only and right turns, and repurpose lanes and parking for tiny cars. There are easy solutions to all our "problems"... but big industries with big lobbies fight hard to make sure none of their profits get cut.

We are going to have ICE vehicles for a long time though. It'll be many decades before they are phased out, and by then there will be plenty of vagabond vehicles using alternative power.

The City Transformer will give you an idea of what I'm talking about:

Well I suppose coal is not the only way to create power but none of us get's out of this alive especially now with the Rona activated.

My sisters family has a hybrid and an electric car.
The hybrid almost never needs to use it's engine since it's a 'plug in hybrid' it can charge up like and all electric.
They have a modest solar array on their ranch style home. Even in the winter it's enough to keep both cars charged and put a serious dent in the power bill.
Judging from what I've seen across the southeast this fall a lot of middle class homeowners are going this route.
Such vehicles are no more expensive than internal combustion engines.
As far as resource extraction, the aluminum and steel for internal combustion engines are mined as well. Whichever way you go your money contributes to strip mining and pollution. And speaking of pollution, there is no reason power MUST use coal, other than tax abatements and other policies which lessen friction in that direction.
If we put as much money into renewable energy as we put into the defense department (3/4 of trillion?!) we would be done switching over by now.

After driving fuel efficient 4 cyl vehicles while commuting 80 miles/day for 18 years I got my job as a firefighter that was a 1 1/4 mile commute. After my 1991 4 cyl Ford Ranger was worn out I ordered a 2004 V10 F350 dually 4x4, The first tank of gas was $1.39/gal. The truck got 10-12 mpg. The fall of 2004 I was given a 4 cyl Chevy Tracker (28 mpg). I was hit by a tractor trailer in the Tracker and it was totaled. June of 2010 I was going to the New England Fire Chief's show in Springfield, MA and realized it was going to cost $60.00 plus in fuel. I decided to purchase a leftover 2010 Toyota Yaris (36+ mpg). I now have 194,000 miles on it and am driving solo at least 75% of the time. I am retired now but still drive quite a bit. I will consider the electric F150 Lightning after it has been out a couple of years { the low cost commercial version). Bill C

Yeah after this van (2017 Ford Transit 150) I'm going to get a Ford E Transit or whatever other Electric Van is available.
I rarely top 200 miles in a day and that is what a lot of these vehicles have for range.
Chargers are more and more plentiful these days.
Apparently you get a card and are billed at the end of the month for your charge ups.
There are also some subscription plans or something for some cars? That could be an interesting reason for an E-Vehicle right there.
If the monthly fee is less than what gas would have cost, win win.

One other thing to consider is horse power. I have seen cars but are their semi-trucks with electricity? Can they make battery operated trucks that will pull tons of weight for 6-10 hours?

One other thing to consider is horse power. I have seen cars but are their semi-trucks with electricity? Can they make battery operated trucks that will pull tons of weight for 6-10 hours?
Not on one charge... but oddly enough some diesel pickups make about the same HP as 18 wheeler, and are close on torque... and the Rivian electric pickup beats big rigs on HP... 835 horsepower and 908 lb-ft of torque!

Yah, it's insane how we are making such big heavy and powerful electric vehicles rather than tiny efficient ones.

Reactions: Sky