What's the cleanest, cheapest, most minimal eating I can do?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Clean and cheap...
As someone else mentioned, if you don't consider boiling water to be "cooking", then adding some diced, then boiled potatoes will go a LONG way and are both healthy and filling.

Also in that same vein, frozen vegetables are not only very healthy, but also very affordable, even when buying smaller packages. The variety makes it nearly impossible to get boring. Then for breakfast or even for a snack, plain, uncooked old fashioned oats, with "silk almond milk" and a chopped up apple, raisins or mixed fruit... very quick, simple, healthy and delicious.
frozen vegetables, canned both have most nutrients redacted

It's a little hard to keep frozen food out in the the desert.

. . . Buying salad ingredients, for example, one has to buy a huge packet which lasts a day, maybe two, before it has to be thrown out. This becomes extremely expensive, never mind the continual shopping . . .
Leafy greens don't last. I'm not that fond of them anyway, so I don't care. ;) Carrots last and I like the taste! Bananas, oranges, apples all last.
My experience:
I buy head lettuce; will keep almost 3 weeks refrigerated.
- I only cut off what I need.
Cut leaf lettuce; lasts 2 weeks refrigerated.
Chopped lettuce; lasts about 3-4 days refrigerated.
Spinach; keeps about 10 days refrigerated, repackaged.
Cabbage; a head keeps long, never thrown one out.

Root vegetables; last long if not peeled.
Peeled carrots (baby carrots, matchsticks); last about 3 weeks.
Cucumbers, zucchini; only last about 4-5 days before getting soft and mushy.
Tomatoes; will last 2 weeks, last 2-3 days after being cut, refrigerated.
Cauliflower, broccoli; last 3 weeks.
Mushrooms; stored in paper bag, last 4 days tops.

Bananas; don't travel well, don't last for more than 5 days without getting brown and mushy.
Apples, oranges, peaches, pears, plums, lemons, limes, grapes, dates, . . . travel well and last. Don't last once cut.

I'm thinking if I'm going to be vehicle-dwelling, I want to do it so that during the week, I don't have to cook anything, and on the weekends, I have the option of cooking full meals.
Cooking is very dependent on your location and your vehicle. Are you in areas where it is appropriate and climatically suitable to cook outdoors or does it have to be done from inside the vehicle most of the time? What are the characteristics of the vehicle with regard to space, appliances, and power? In a car with no fridge, no running water, and no countertop, cooking with only a camp stove is going to be a hassle. The setup is only conducive to making basic meals. At the other end of the spectrum, there are vehicles with complete kitchens including an oven. Meals are only limited by your culinary skills

I like traveling, but I want the conveniences of home, I do not like camping. My haunts are small towns, cities, and suburban areas. All of my cooking on the road is done from inside my van. Though I like to eat outside and take in scenic views...

My build is very basic, but I can stand up and move around, have a couple of feet of countertop space, a sink with running water readily available for meal prep (and washing dishes). My most used appliances are my convection microwave and Instant Pot. Everything is powered by a mid sized power station.

On road trips, I like to pull over around 4 pm and do meal prep. I throw everything into the Instant Pot and turn it on. Then I hit the road again and drive (generating power) for another hour or so while it cooks. When I stop for the evening, the meal is ready to eat.

Buy some wheat berries, rye, corn, any kind of grain. Get a hand grain grinder, or electric. Make flat bread in a pan on the stove. Healthy whole grain, high in fiber. Wheat and rye berries keep a long time and if you grind them just before use the germ doesn't have time to go rancid like it does in preground flour. Taste much better.

they all depend on having a refrigerator.

Buying salad ingredients, for example, one has to buy a huge packet which lasts a day, maybe two, before it has to be thrown out. This becomes extremely expensive, never mind the continual shopping.

Can someone please point to the answer? I have been struggling with this for years.
It's difficult to eat healthy without a fridge. If you don't already have a fridge, buy one:
12V FRIDGE OPTIONS by CheapRVliving

Keep the most perishable foods in the front of fridge.
I eat a head of lettuce in 3 or 4 days.
After the lettuce is gone, I eat the cabbage which is will hold two weeks.
The following items will hold for two weeks or more.

Vegetables:
  • cruciferous vegetables (e.g. broccoli, Kale, Cauliflower, cabbage)
  • roots (e.g. potato, carrot, onion, beets, radish)
  • squash

Fruits:
  • dried fruit
  • apples
  • citric fruit

Source: Google search: shelf-stable vegetables

Good article here on vegetables and other foods that last without refrigeration.
https://www.greenvango.com/van-life-without-fridge/
Onions. Eat them raw, grill or sautee them.
Tomatoes. Cherry, heirloom, on the vine or roma tomatoes can all be left at room temperature.
Carrots. While you can use baby carrots, they may dry out faster than fulls-size carrots because they’ve already been peeled and moistened.
Potatoes. Potatoes keep for ages–this includes all kinds, such as sweet potato and golden potato.
Avocados. They can bruise easily but don’t need refrigeration. Try wrapping them in a fabric or paper towel to minimize bruising.
Bell peppers. Red, yellow or green bell peppers will all keep for at least 5-7 days without refrigeration.
Broccoli and asparagus can last 2-4 days without refrigeration. I recommend wrapping them in tin foil but leaving the ends open to help prevent bruising but release moisture (so they don’t rot).
Cucumber and zucchini can also last about 2-4 days without refrigeration. I recommend the same process as broccoli and asparagus.
Root vegetables are great because they can easily last a week or more without refrigeration. These include potatoes, sweet potatoes, turnips, kale, beets, radishes and onions.
Canned vegetables are always available and will last just about forever. Personally, the only canned vegetables I like are beets. But if you’re looking to add some health perks to an otherwise bland meal of rice or pasta, throwing in a canned veggie is a great option.

I would strongly suggest learning about nutrition and related concepts, so you could have an informed idea of what healthy really is (said respectfully).
For eating healthy, a fundamental understanding of the following is needed.

Nutrition basics; macronutrients and micronutrients:
The three calorie sources; Protein, fat, and carbs
Vitamins and minerals

Water
Fiber

Nutrition principles:
Calorie intake/burned ratio
Calorie density
Glycemic index
Food groups
Supplements
Stimulants
Processed food
Eating for flavor vs for nutrition
Shopping the perimeter
Eating guidelines
Reading critics for advice
Whole and raw food

Other principles for being healthy:
Anabolic vs catabolic states
Anaerobic vs aerobic
Exercise
Metabolism
Stress
Mental focus
Knowing personal potential and limitations
Avoiding being sedentary
Keeping a schedule of being healthy
Breaking rules, unless breaking them, leads to being the rule
Keeping good company
Fulfilling the genetic fallacy

Eating healthy is not a diet; it is a way of life.

Then taking things to the extreme in mental exercises will help you figure out where you sit for how healthy you wish to eat.

On one extreme end, you can eat purely for nutrition with no consideration to flavor (seasoning for the most part has negligible nutritional input while making overconsumption easier.)

On the other end, you can eat purely for flavor with no consideration to nutrition.

Examples of purely nutritional are: rice and beans (vegan), ahi tuna (pescatarian), a mix of the two (omnivore/pesc)
Examples of low nutrition high flavor and calories: milk chocolate bars, lasagna, pizza

Eating strictly for nutrition can be boring and or mentally not satisfying, but that has to be measured against one's goals. Eating strictly for flavor has a far higher chance of gaining weight and plugging arteries. Learning about nutrition and the concepts around it, then figuring out where you are on that scale will be a good way of determining what "healthy" is for you.

Cheap eating: The cheapest way I have seen anyone eat is for free, which homeless shelters and homeless encampments (particularly if there are vehicles) have an overabundance of food. Not all of it is healthy, most is not, but there is the satiation factor there.

The minimalist: Christian Bale in preparation for the movie "The Machinist" came up with the "Black Coffee Fast", which consisted of black coffee, a solitary apple, and a can of tuna every day. I employed this diet and lost 50lb in two months, so I know it works like that, plus is minimal as you asked for.

I'm thinking if I'm going to be vehicle-dwelling, I want to do it so that during the week, I don't have to cook anything, and on the weekends, I have the option of cooking full meals.

I'm going to start trying salads. Maybe eat a fat and protein-rich meal for lunch, and then eat a big salad for dinner.

I was thinking for lunch, carry a jar of plain Greek yogurt with nuts, berries, maybe a dark chocolate morsels, and a nut butter mixed in it, and for dinner, either a nut butter sandwich with sprouted bread, or a salad.

I don't know much about nutrition, but I've realized just how much my poor diet has impacted my mental health and energy levels, and am trying to change to a more paleo and more vegan diet, revolving around raw, mostly green vegetables, some fruit, and nuts. Maybe boil up some hard-boiled eggs on the weekend and add them to the salad or have them for lunch.

Does anyone have an tips or recommendations on this?
Also, how much should I be expecting to spend trying to eat healthy out of a vehicle on two meals a day?
Eating 2 meals/day works very well for me. 16/8 dietary lifestyle, i.e. 16 hrs fasting, 8 hrs eating period. Varied plantbased (vegan for 18 yrs) food sources. 6 yrs fulltime vandweller, septuagenarian, long distance runner. Very frugal. Don't try it - just do it. 😁

di·et
noun
  • 1. the kinds of food that a person, animal, or community habitually eats:

I'm going to start trying salads. Maybe eat a fat and protein-rich meal for lunch, and then eat a big salad for dinner.

I was thinking for lunch, carry a jar of plain Greek yogurt with nuts, berries, maybe a dark chocolate morsels, and a nut butter mixed in it, and for dinner, either a nut butter sandwich with sprouted bread, or a salad.

I don't know much about nutrition, but I've realized just how much my poor diet has impacted my mental health and energy levels, and am trying to change to a more paleo and more vegan diet, revolving around raw, mostly green vegetables, some fruit, and nuts. Maybe boil up some hard-boiled eggs on the weekend and add them to the salad or have them for lunch.

Does anyone have an tips or recommendations on this?
Also, how much should I be expecting to spend trying to eat healthy out of a vehicle on two meals a day?

Have you tried sprouting? It’s very inexpensive and highly nutritious. You can sprout any kind of seed, vegetable, grain, bean and even nuts. They’re stored dry and you simply grow them for a couple of days and have fresh living food!

Have you tried sprouting? It’s very inexpensive and highly nutritious. You can sprout any kind of seed, vegetable, grain, bean and even nuts. They’re stored dry and you simply grow them for a couple of days and have fresh living food!
It's a great and easy way to go for ridiculously nutritious fresh veggies in the winter too. I'm sprouting broccoli right now. I also have a hot radish mix, mung beans, and alfalfa. A 1 pound bag of each will last me a couple years.

https://www.backdoorsurvival.com/how-to-grow-sprouts-in-a-jar/
Cheers!

Lentils. You can buy them dried but they’re also available already cooked in cans and pouches. They are cheap, highly versatile, nutritious, and cook quickly. Use in soups and stews; as a ground meat substitute in tacos, nachos, veg burgers, shepherds pie; in salads and wraps; mixed with brown rice for a complete protein. Lots of great ideas here. https://www.self.com/gallery/lentil-recipes

Lettuce doesn’t last long but if you’re thinking of a salad to get veggies into your daily diet try a salad of veggies that last: shredded carrots, red cabbage, chopped cucumber or zucchini, cherry tomatoes, a boiled egg, maybe some brown rice.. drizzled with a tahini dressing for healthy fat (tahini, mustard, lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper).

If you want to eat healthier but don’t know much about nutrition, start with ‘eating the rainbow’. Get as many different colored veggies into your diet as possible.

This is always one of those topics that's just a free-for-all answer-wise because everyone has different tastes, limits and tolerance for preparation times.
What is a great suggestion for one person would never work for another.

Since the OP wanted to have minimal prep during the week, I'd suggest cook big Saturday and Sunday then portion into containers for the week.
We do that now at home and it's worked well on longer van trips.
By making two big meals Saturday AND Sunday you can at least alternate them so it's not the same thing every night.
You get the rewards of a "home cooked" meal for several days without having to do any prep.
Just heat and serve.

Getting enough vegetables for me is hard on the road because I like them fresh and ripe. (If their around I'll pop cherry tomatoes like tic-tacs.)
On long van trips it's much harder and I find myself craving vegetables after a day.
The problem with fresh produce at home or in a van is that it doesn't last long, with the exception of potatoes/onions/carrots, most of it needs to be eaten within the week and that can be hard when it's only 1-2 people.
That requires at a minimum a weekly trip to the store, sometimes twice a week.

Canned vegetables are horrible from a texture, taste and sodium perspective but if you can tolerate it they are always at the ready to add some vegetables to the menu.

Freeze-dried vegetables are also an option for adding to things like soups, but they are expensive.
I use to get a freeze-dried carrot, pea, corn, onion, celery medley that was awesome for adding some texture and flavor to soups on the road, but it was pricey.

Frozen vegetables can work, but require freezer space OR a plan to use them productively.
For example on long trips I might use a couple of bags of frozen mixed vegetables in the cooler and as they thaw, consume them.

Beans, rice, potatoes, lentils, dried peas are all good and can be made in bulk.
Google "pulses" and "daal," there are literally more recipes than you can try in your lifetime.
The only downside to these is the longish cook times for the dried goods to hydrate and soften.
This can be shortened by pre-soaking or a small, old-school pressure cooker.
In fact a pressure cooker is a must-have if you want to cook big hearty meals based on dried goods/grains in the van because it can cut cook times dramatically.
NOT a Miracle Pot, the electric draw is atrocious, but an old-school pressure cooker you can put on a burner.

Eggs, eggs eggs.
They are a great source of protein and with a small non-stick pan you can crack two directly into the pan, chop a little with a silicone spatula and have quick hot meal.

Have you considered a protein shake for a quick breakfast or lunch?
You can buy protein shake powder or chocolate whey concentrate, just add water in a shaker cup with mixing spring and have a healthy meal.
You can tailor the quantity of powder to hit your protein/calorie requirement for the meal.
It's also quick. If we have a big day ahead of us and are trying to get out of the van as early as possible to hike/ride, we'll do protein shakes for breakfast.
I'll even make my shake with my cold brew coffee so I'm killing two birds with one stone; nourishment and caffeination.

Lentils. You can buy them dried but they’re also available already cooked in cans and pouches. They are cheap, highly versatile, nutritious, and cook quickly. Use in soups and stews; as a ground meat substitute in tacos, nachos, veg burgers, shepherds pie; in salads and wraps; mixed with brown rice for a complete protein. Lots of great ideas here. https://www.self.com/gallery/lentil-recipes

Lettuce doesn’t last long but if you’re thinking of a salad to get veggies into your daily diet try a salad of veggies that last: shredded carrots, red cabbage, chopped cucumber or zucchini, cherry tomatoes, a boiled egg, maybe some brown rice.. drizzled with a tahini dressing for healthy fat (tahini, mustard, lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper).

If you want to eat healthier but don’t know much about nutrition, start with ‘eating the rainbow’. Get as many different colored veggies into your diet as possible.
As far as your salad recipe, I think I already figured out the carrots, red cabbage, cherry tomatoes and boiled egg on my own! I'll have to give lentils a try, I keep thinking they're too much work because I'd have to boil them or something. But maybe I'm just lazy.

@BinDerSmokDat I'll have to give lintels and rice a try. With a bit of cheese and some spice, I love them and will eat them all week.

As a matter as fact, I'd be perfectly happy eating rice and lentils with cheese and seasoning all week with fresh raw vegetables and hard-boiled eggs on the side. I'll give it a shot.

Is it possible to eat the rainbow in bean/legume form?

I will add this: I would like to NOT have to grocery shop every weekend just to stay healthy. The only place to buy food where I am now is WalMart and I fuckin hate going in there. The last thing I want to do every Saturday is spend four hours inside a WalMart.

I can handle cooking every weekend but grocery shopping every weekend? Nah.

Okay after giving it some more rational thought, I realy don't have an issue with, every weekend, going to a WalMart or SOME grocery store, making a b-line for the fresh produce section, and quickly grabbing up some greens, potatoes, fruits and vegetables, and some nuts and spices for the salad.

I don't mind cooking every weekend, but I do wonder how practical is cooking rice and lentils is and carrying it with me in an SUV. Whereas right now, I'm seeing how I could easily whip up a salad in the morning or at night out of my vehicle if need be, and love the idea of carrying a jar of nuts with other goodies mixed inside as a snack/desert.

And I've been chowing down on greens and salads and eggs for the last few days, and I'm surprised by how tasteful, convenient, and filling they can be. I was even going to make a nut butter sandwich tonight with sprouted bread, but opted for a sweet potato with carrots and grape tomatoes, and you know what? It tasted better than any crap I recently got from McDonald's or Dairy Queen!

Idk. I wanna say I hate cooking, but I really don't. I love cooking, but at the same time, it feels like a chore best left for the weekends, and only if a place is suitable for it. I feel like I could live off vegetables and nuts and eggs forever. Maybe I'm more paleo.

But I'll look into a pressure cooker. Is something like the HAWKIN Pressure Cooker good? It looks compact and efficient.

Used to do the dry ice thing with a "5 day" cooler gosh, like 20 years ago.
It was kind of expensive back then, and you had to find a fish bait store or food service place that sold dry ice. It's not common.
However, it did work in 110 degree heat on California BLM land in August.
Me and my friend Steve loved waiting until the 5th or 6th day of a campout in scorching heat to break out a couple gallons of ice cream.
Conpletely astonishing people.
Car fridges have gotten cheaper and smaller lately. There are even dinky little coolers with a tiny cooling element that are less than $100 last I checked.