What? You're gonna live in a van? Weirdo.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deaffy

Reaction score
56, male, ambidextrous and likes mango sorbet.

In the very early stages of making the change to nomad.

But first, a question: I'm 6'6. What are some solutions for the taller human? Big RVs, cargo trailers are all no-gos. Odd solutions welcome. Thanks.

Cargo Trailers are available in custom heights. Buy a utility trailer and build your box to what ever height you want. I built a truck topper for someone 6' tall another 6" inches wouldn't be much more difficult but you definitely won't be going thru any low clearance areas. Semi trailer build out. Work seasonal jobs with housing. Hammock tent maybe or just a tarp. Rolling stool that way you don't have to stand up! Learn to walk on your knees maybe. Live out doors except to sleep. Really many people can't stand up straight in a regular van. Put an emergency escape hatch from a school bus in the roof where you will want to stand. There are pop top canvas camper kits for vans but I'm not sure of interior heights. Put a sky light or dome in the roof like most RV showers use.

Welcome Deaffy to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

I had my cargo trailer built at 8' tall walls on the inside. If I remember right standard height was 7'.

Highdesertranger

Welcome.

As far as solutions for tall people, you could consider a pop-up truck camper. I believe the the Four Wheel campers are about 6' 8" inside when they are popped up. You could also consider an A-Frame trailer, such as an A-Liner. The peak of an A-Liner is about 8'.

Welcome to CRVL!
My preference turned out to be a UHaul box van.
Look at the 12-14' length box with single rear wheel. Dual rears have some disadvantage.
Easy to biuld out the interior with all square corners.
Second choice is a step van. All aluminum typically but engine's may be a bit used up. So mechanically gifted helps.

Both available with head room for the tall.

Welcome to the CRVL Forums :)

If I were 6'6" in height,  I'd be looking for a Step Van like Matlock mentions. All aluminum with automatic trans.  As these are usually fleet vehicles they are built such that they can be worked on more easily than a Van or other vehicles.

There is a large commercial bakery near me where their surplus/discount bakery shop is next to their garage.   I buy the bakery items there  and often talk with a couple of the mechanics I know who work in the garage.  They fleet the Triton V 10 engines in those big Step Vans and pull them at 300K  to sway new engines & transmissions into them.  They tell me they could go 400K at the most but to assure dependability they swap at 300K.  Some of their Step Vans are over 30 ft in length and you could build a partition wall behind the rear wheel wells to have what some call a garage space.(for tools, equipment, and storage space. Then build out the rest of your space to suit yourself.

There will be numerous solutions to A/C & Heat as well as insulation for you to consider.  But the nice thing about the Step Vans are the vertical walls that make wiring and building to them much simpler.