What SUVs do you recommend?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wanderlyst

Reaction score
I've been looking into different vehicles to go mobile in, and I've come to the conclusion that a SUV is my best option.

It will not be pulling a trailer(usually), and I would like decent mileage. 
What SUV's do y'all lovely folks recommend? 

Thank you in advance

That depends a lot upon budget. I'm in a '98 diesel Suburban, but i tow. Without towing, I've gotten max 22mpg, usually about 18-20 though.

I’ve not had a Chevy Suburban but that’s what I’d go for too. IMO should be as strong and long lasting as a Chevy van and guessing MPG will be about the same as a van. My ‘98 gas Chevy van get 15-16 MPG on xcountry trips over the Rockies. 5.7L engine.

Maybe not what you would think of as an SUV but they are solid tanks and should tow safely. Much more safely than other SUVs.
Because of the increased interest in Vans for camping and living, the Suburban similar age and miles might be cheaper?

I have a 2002 Suburban and I love it. Lots of extra space in the back. I'm able to fit my bike in the back without putting the 2nd row of seats down (plus other stuff including 2 big dogs!). I have 4wd, but not a lot of clearance underneath. So maybe that's a consideration if you want to go off-road a lot? Common vehicle that most any mechanic should be able to work on and parts should be easy to find. I do tow a small camper with mine.

Thanks for your advice guys!
It will just be me and my small (14lb/7kg) dog.
I will not likely be doing much towing, but I can't safely say as of now.
I will also probably be doing some off roading, I don't know how much.
And I don't need anything very big

SUV, offroad, room enough for you and a dog to sleep and decent gas mileage. My wife really likes her 2002 Toyota Sequoia. It has an actual transfer case but repair costs would ruin your day if you broke something. That is the way it is with most SUV's and good gas mileage is not usually associated with vehicles like SUV's. I believe you will have a hard time finding something to do all this without a lot of compromise. What do you drive now, what is your camping experience and how simply can you live?

I run a 2004 Ford Excursion Limited with a 6.0L diesel that has been bulletproofed. Fully loaded with passengers, luggage, a roof cargo box, and 2 bicycle on the back, we averaged 18.5 MPG on a 1000 mile round trip.

If you really want to stretch your mind look into a Prius. Great mileage. You and your small dog should work. Likely go as far off-road as you want.

I don’t have one but several do full time, many more part time.
What I find so attractive is how you can set the temp and the car will keep that temp all night. You can use to run your electronics and the car will keep its battery charged.

Checkout the videos and blogs about Prius living

Maybe a Prius and a good set of hiking boots !

I have a 2001 Chevy Suburban 4x4 3/4 ton.
It goes everywhere I need it to and more.
Unless you are going to go out rock crawling in the desert with it it is a great vehicle.
Extremely dependable
Best riding full size SUV by far
You never have to say "that won't fit in there"