What kind of cleaning wipes do you use?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dutch Marc

Reaction score
Hey there guys, just wondering what kind of cleaning tissues you guys use out there. I've been trying to find cleaning at this at Walmart or Target or Costco that have some alcohol in it. Looks to me that most of these are alcohol-free these days. Not sure if you guys have any brand that you prefer

Thanks for all feedback ...
9e06ad625e867e040bccbb6dae11ab8f.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Any baby wipes for personal cleaning.

If you are talking counter or dish cleaning, I use 91% rubbing alcohol in a spritzer spray bottle and a paper towel.

Do the contain alcohol?

You want something like Purell Sanitizing Hand Wipe, or Zeiss Lens Cleaning Wipe, or others like Wet Ones or Wet-nap contain alcohol with other stuff.

Yes. Just wondering if the alcohol containing wipes do a better job since it's not for a baby bottoms but for a grown man's face and hand etc
Weight said:
You want something like Purell Sanitizing Hand Wipe, or Zeiss Lens Cleaning Wipe, or others like Wet Ones or Wet-nap contain alcohol with other stuff.

Wet Wipes, they have a higher moisture content than others.

Makeup removing wipeys come in a two pack at Walmart. Wipe all you want with the others and you’ll be very surprised when you run one of these over your face and look at it. It will take all the dirt off you missed with the other type wipeys.

You will also use three of the others for one of these. They are GREAT!

Are those removers the ones with witch hazel? I used those to remove gasoline smell from my hands when in the backward states. I found PreparationH Wipes to be the same stuff, but larger size towel and cheaper cost. No alcohol. Alcohol is irritating to some places.

We use "Parents Choice" brand from Walmart for body wipe downs. We buy them in 3 packs to bring the cost down to about 2¢ per wipe and to have enough on hand to not run out. They don't state alcohol free, but might be. They do have a cleaning agent in them, good enough to wipe a babies poo bottom. Never had eye irritation when wiping face and are thick enough to not fall apart. If I found something else that worked as good but was cheaper, I'd use that. Haven't found those yet.

Weight , I dunno if they have witch hazel or not but they get you so much cleaner than any of the other wipes and they stay wet a lot longer also.

At my last Walmart I found Seventh Generation Free & Clear Wipes. I like them much better than Parent's Choice. No alcohol. My bottom is too special.

^^I miss the THANKS button for easy thanking!

Thanks, will check them out next time I do a Walmart run.

Same here. Thanks button would be great. Lots of new stuff on my shipping list to test
Wabbit said:
^^I miss the THANKS button for easy thanking!

Thanks, will check them out next time I do a Walmart run.

I like using the ones with alcohol.  Why not kill two birds with one stone and get drunk while wiping?  It's time to celebrate!

I found alcohol wipes too intense only when I had hemorrhoids.  I'd be cautious then but not worry otherwise ... maybe if you've had particularly acidic or constant diarrhea and the area is already very sensitive.

I go to the local Big Lots store, where I can get a pack of 100 baby wipes for two bucks, or sometimes use the packs I get at the dollar store.  For a penny or two a sheet, I can use as many as I like, and I don't like to feel intimidated or second-guess myself in real time about doing absolutely everything necessary to get clean down there.  At that price, I can wipe my butt like a king.

I open the rectangular package on the vertical end, so there's less air exposure, because I find there is nothing you can do to keep them from drying out eventually.  Alcohol evaporates very quickly and it takes a fair amount of liquid to keep a pack of 100 wipes very moist.  Anyway, when done, I stand the package of wipes up vertically in a gallon ziplock bag with the open end toward the top, roll the bag to get most of the air out, then unroll it carefully and close the ziplock.  I then stand the bag up vertically in an over-the-door shoe hanger.  I figure that way, I have the least chance of liquid escaping and drying out the tissues.  Every so often I add some water or alcohol to the remaining block of tissues to keep them moist.

P.S.:  I also like to have a decent amount of alcohol in the tissues to help clean my hands afterwards.  I don't trust the alcohol gels alone, as I have read that the claims for their killing germs are exaggerated.   And I think wiping with a cloth is better for getting rid of any smell.  

I also use the same kind of tissues to clean my eyes, face, neck, and behind the ears on waking, and need the rubbing alcohol to cut through body oils ... otherwise I'll just be smearing them around and scenting them, which is not what I'm after.

I bought a large plastic tub of Huggies unscented wipes. After using them all I got a 3-pack of some brand "X" unscented baby wipes at a dollar store. I cut a pack open and put them in the empty Huggies tub. If I want them wetter, I pour some water on. The tub keeps them nice and moist, and the "pop-up" function means they're easy to take one when I need to clean pretty much anything. Makes keeping clean much easier. And the plastic tub will probably outlast me....maybe I should put it in my will [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I'm new, so please forgive my ignorance. I was looking around on Amazon for flushable/biodegradable wipes. Wouldn't those be more desirable for folks like us? How are you disposing them? Can you just drop them in a composting toilet?

According to the British sewer workers who are currently campaigning to outlaw wet wipes of all kinds (oh noooooo!), even the "flushable" ones don't really ever go away.

What I've learned to do is to either drop wipes into my bucket toilet along with the poo, or if I'm using my RV toilet, place everything that is not poo (that means TP, wipes, and anything else that isn't poo) into a plastic grocery bag. This all goes into the dumpster when I get to town.

In my three years of living in the forest and desert, I've happened upon thousands of other people's wipes that they either tried to bury (animals dig them up, spring flood waters wash them out of the ground) or just left lying there.....It seems they are not as biodegradable as we are led to believe.

They're definitely extremely excited about the non-biodegradability over at The Guardian. I understand the concern, but reading the comments, I was waiting for someone to call someone else the H word.

I was waiting for someone to call someone else the H word.
[/quote]

Well you know they're Brits....they might THINK things, but they show restraint...?