What I've learned about small container sewage management

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoulRaven

Reaction score
Having had yet another disaster last night, I figured it was high time I begin a thread like this so hopefully others can learn from my mistakes...and successes. My system for nearly a year now has been the Piddle Pail with a Nalgene bladder as backup/overflow. I'm female-bodied, I stay in the city and use available restrooms when possible but have had to handle emergency #2 with no restroom available a couple dozen times.

Things I've Learned:

• Pooping in a 2.75" diameter opening can be done. Steps: 1) Deplete bladder 2) Position appropriately 3) Hold tissue against self to catch bladder leakage while pooing.
  • Once you poop in a container the smell never leaves no matter what you do to it.
  • Isopropryl alcohol in a fine mist sprayer works swell as a sanitizer, for hands and other surfaces.
  • Adding baking soda to a sewage container does wonders for the smell.
  • Adding isopropryl alochol and baking soda to an empty, sealed sewage container creates a science experiment volcano. A well sanitized one. May ruin container.
  • Adding baking soda to an empty container that isn't fully dry creates caked-on baking soda residue that's impossible to remove without a brush.
  • A partially full Nalgene bladder can get run over by a van and still not leak or burst.
  • Kleenex works just as well as toilet paper, and can be more convenient if living space is extremely small.
  • Tissue used for #1 can be discarded in trash without smell.
I'll add to this thread when I have more! Anyone else, feel free to contribute. :)

OK

...well there's a few of those from that list, that Frankly, I'm not so sure I wanna know how you learned the lesson!! :huh:
SCAREY!!!!

Glad to know you're moving forward with this! :)

Bitty,
Suanne has a system I think might work better for you -- she camps for months in her Prius. For #2, she uses a two-and-a-half gallon bucket (not tall like the 5-gal) that still allows a Luggable Loo seat to go on top. Her bag system is interesting, too.

There is a YouTube video of her set-up in the Enigmatic/Bob Wells video series at:

And Suanne's blog is: www.suanneonline.blogspot.com

Suanne's blog is a fantastic resource I've come back to again and again, but there is currently no space I could sit on even a 1 gallon bucket, let alone anything larger.

A lot of people I've run into using mini vans or cars use bedpans but line them with a plastic bag first. They are short but hold quite a lot. With the addition of the plastic bag, they would be easy to keep clean, seal, and empty.

I guess it comes down to how you prioritize what takes up space in your van.

My thought was Suanne finds space in a Prius which is considerable smaller than any van. But then she may not have many other things you keep as a higher priority. Glad you know about her site already.

Suzanne's Prius allows her to turn her passenger seat into a bed. She does not have to keep it empty and upright nor does her bed and living space need to accommodate more than one person. If you notice, she uses a seat in the back as the platform  to place the bucket on. I have no seats in the back, nor is there any privacy in the front seats. Plus there's the whole thing of needing a fridge, house battery and associated electric setup inside the living space as well.

I know she's awesome in what she does, but please don't turn this thread or forum into a "comparing who's better" type of vibe. I created this thread to discuss options, ideas, and anecdotes regarding small container sewage, not to debate space usage.

Sounds like it does come down to space since you haven't got the space "to do it". If you can't " do it" you don't need to worry about getting rid of "it”.

Not trying to be snarky but we have no idea of the details of your space. We have no idea of how much other stuff takes importance in your space.
People are trying to make their best suggestions by guessing what might help you.

If being able to have a place " to go" is important it might be time to reconsider what is less important to make a bit of room.

Thank you, Bitty. It is all a matter of priorities and available space. I once traveled in a pick up cab, but all others were vans. Having had lower bowel emergency, bad water, bad food, bad booze, I was very glad to have a 5 gallon bucket. I hope I can always make room for one.

bindi&us said:
People are trying to make their best suggestions by guessing what might help you.

...If being able to have a place " to go" is important it might be time to reconsider what is less important to make a bit of room.

I'm actually quite happy with my current bathroom setup. This wasn't a "I need to reevaluate please help" post, this was "I've been doing things differently for a while now, here's what has/hasn't worked, here's what's possible, here are some downsides."

I thought it was useful info to share. Lots of people here feel pretty strongly about the luggable loo type setup, and since I've been using and refining an alternative system for a while I thought it worthwhile to open up the floor to talking about such things. I never imagined the result would be urging me to reevaluate space priorities.

Every person's setup is a unique, personal conglomeration of solutions that fit their particular situation. Just because I'm not following conventional van dwelling approaches to sewage doesn't mean I'm not thinking things through. I'm actually really excited to share pictures of how my entire bathroom setup is contained in a soft sided lunchbox, stored hanging. But I might never do so because of responses like these.

ccbreder said:
Thank you, Bitty. It is all a matter of priorities and available space. I once traveled in a pick up cab, but all others were vans. Having had lower bowel emergency, bad water, bad food, bad booze, I was very glad to have a 5 gallon bucket. I hope I can always make room for one.

And I once lived in (not out of) a 2 door vintage Corolla.

Having had many severe lower vowel emergencies due to chronic illnesses, I'm grateful my solution isn't limited to sitting upright in one specific spot. For me, severe lower bowel issues involve extreme pain, lots of flinging my body around and complete inability to sit up. I'm glad your bowel emergencies are less severe that a 'toilet' to sit on works for you. For me, I started out using disposable construction plastic as a tarp to contain the mess, and now I find diapers a much better solution for containing emergency situations. I prefer the things I keep on hand solely for dire emergencies take up minimal space. But as you point out, everyone has different priorities.

If I may interject my Cottonelle® moment into this thread I call my potty a huggable Loo much like myself. It has a small waste tank so it needs to be dumped often, which is a good thing IMHO. I never fill the upper fresh tank but instead use my pressurized 2.5-gallon can sprayer/personal shower, which is located right next to Loo’s loo.

The Century Portable Passport Potty 8L is a dream product for my camping convenience and incontinence.

41BMR8PX4EL.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Sanitation-Eq...p/B0007L9J3Q/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

I for one am glad you found a portable solution. Otherwise, Too much information.

Bitty said:
Having had yet another disaster last night, I figured it was high time I begin a thread like this so hopefully others can learn from my mistakes...and successes. 

It's nearly impossible to give too much information on this site, nearly all is welcome.

Giving a  report on what works for you is not an invitation for criticism, corrections or suggestions for improvement. Knowing what works for others is always good information.

However, Bitty you have to understand that the way you started your post could be easily taken as you were having trouble and were looking for a solution. 

When we hear you had a disaster, we automatically want to offer a solution, it's kind of what we do here, offer solutions so people can avoid problems.

I can see how you could take it the wrong way, like a criticism: "You're ways wrong, here's the right way" but I honestly believe no one intended that, we just want to be helpful and sometimes that can feel overwhelming.

I hope you can forgive us.
Bob

Agreed...It sounds like you have a pretty good kit going for yourself.
Perhaps you should show pics of your softside unit in the interest of education for others.

Sorry, did sorta look like you wanted more solutions.

Ah, yes I see how starting out with mentioning a disaster could indicate looking for solutions. That was just the baking soda and alcohol mixture exploding everywhere after sitting a few days. This also answered the question as to why my piddle pail had been leaking, which had been a bunch of mini disasters in and of itself. The solution is pretty simple: buy a new one and don't seal it up with volcano-inducing ingredients. ;) It was user error, rather than a fault with the system.

The old one has been super glued,  not sure if that will hold but its been passed along to my boyfriend, who's just begun his own van dwelling adventure and is well familiar with its use. :)

You're not supposed to be doing chemistry experiments in a vehicle :D

I know it certainly was not funny at the time.

I think there's an old saying...we live and learn.

Just a side note...we went to Bodaga Bay today. That's where they filmed the movie, The Birds. Beautiful drive and Bay.

Bitty said:
I'm actually quite happy with my current bathroom setup. This wasn't a "I need to reevaluate please help" post, this was "I've been doing things differently for a while now, here's what has/hasn't worked, here's what's possible, here are some downsides."

I thought it was useful info to share. Lots of people here feel pretty strongly about the luggable loo type setup, and since I've been using and refining an alternative system for a while I thought it worthwhile to open up the floor to talking about such things. I never imagined the result would be urging me to reevaluate space priorities.

Every person's setup is a unique, personal conglomeration of solutions that fit their particular situation. Just because I'm not following conventional van dwelling approaches to sewage doesn't mean I'm not thinking things through. I'm actually really excited to share pictures of how my entire bathroom setup is contained in a soft sided lunchbox, stored hanging. But I might never do so because of responses like these.

My vote is you post pictures.   I did a lot of research as I created my car setup, and without people like you sharing what worked for them I wouldn't have the great setup I have now.  I am sure others will benefit from your learning! Even those who now have more space than you, may one day find they need a new more compact setup and will come here looking for ideas!

I also enjoy your posts, Bitty.  As another for whom the 'normal convention' often is not useable or practical, I like to see other's options and setups.  Your posts are always very informative.  Thankyou.

Anyone used an automotive funnel with a fuel line clamped on it leading down through a hole in the floor? Then follow the #1 with a chaser of bleach water? I've wondered about that in lieu of the Gatorade or OJ type wide mouth bottles... Doesn't help for #2 or the runs though.

Latest posts