what is your first step on a vehicle build

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dennys Adventures

Reaction score
this is my very 1st step I have planed, Doing the Big 3 or 4 wiring upgrade for high power radios on vehicles. Then adding a NoCo 130 amp 12-48 v dc Battery isolater. or a solenoid, then a battery disconnect switch, A Minn kota Circuit Breaker 12-24-36 v dc 60 amp for the battery going from isolater or solenoid to a house battery. Add a 2nd battery (house battery) that charges from the vehicle. Then add a 12v volt plug in and an a Microwave capeable inverter. The inverter this size will allow you to run what ever you want to run. Note if large current draws are needed also run the vehicle motor during and for at least 10 min, after the large amp draw has finished. No solar power needed at this time. but the inverter will allow the build to continue using power tools. if living in also add a usb light.

Last edited:
My first step was the floor. Then insulation then walls, (with wires for lights and fan).
One can sleep on a cot if the floor is flat and they are not freezing or sweating.
My next step was a bed with storage. I have a Youtube channel, (not monitized), where I documented the build if you are interested
DannyB1954 look for van build playlist. I talk slow, so you may wish to increase the play back speed. Lol

Agree with flooring first.....but I think Denny has the right idea. Nice to have power situation sorted out in the beginning. Depending on inverter load, a string of batteries may be in order. Depends on your load numbers. Wish you the best on your build Denny.

First thing I did before installing anything was making sure I didn't have any water leaks. Then I guess the first thing to put in would be the floor.

A lot depends upon time, budget, and what you hope for the build to be able to work for. I started with the floor, used closed cell foam in between the ribs, a layer over that and sheets of marine grade plywood with vinyl flooring over that. Then I put in vent fans in the roof. next was insulation. At this point I realized I needed to have a plan for wiring as I needed to weave that through and underneath wall coverings. Somewhat the same things for other systems you might want such as propane and water. Of course these systems can be simple as you might use on camping trips such as a portable propane stove and water jugs that operate by gravity (pouring) all the way to pressurized systems with electric pumps and plumbing.

Is it a vehicle that will last a long time? or something you may end up wanting to replace? If the former you could go to town or plan ahead for where wiring and plumbing would be routed to make improvements over time. If the latter you could potentially make any built ins modular for transferring to a new vehicle at some point.

I probably would have benefitted from a little more planning at the beginning, certainly as to where the electronics would need to be located and wires routed. So the electric is one of the first things to figure out, at least location of components and wiring routes and how you might be able to access them after the build is finished should you need to. Or where things might be located if you plan on adding things later.

I got carried away and built a tiny house on wheels that is pretty posh. But I realize I could have built something just as functional and more simply for a lot less by sticking to the idea of what the essentials are I would need for an extended camping trip. Consider what structure will help keep things organized so you can find what you need when you need it, bed platform, cooking area, water storage, ices chest or fridge, storage, etc. and how that may compromise access to systems you may need to service or upgrade later. So not only building components but taking apart later if needed. I found the van I used had a number of threaded holes in the frame I could find bolts to fit and also unthreaded holes I could insert plus nuts into securing all of the things I built out of wood into the frame with bolts to minimize things coming loose or moving due to vibration while driving while minimizing drilling or cutting holes in the metal that could promote rust.

Hope you find what works best for you. I can't speak to the specifics of your electrics. I used a plan from a couple of Canadians who were engineers who had outfitted a van with everything I would want ( faroutride.com ) My knowledge of electronics was limited but greatly increased through the process. There are many ways to construct an electric system and charge house batteries, alternator, AC and solar. I used dc power everywhere I could, lights, charge ports, fans, compressor fridge, etc. but will at some point add an inverter so I can use a few AC appliances.

in my post for my first step i want to make sure its known. I want the vehicle to be able to charge its battery and a house battery. this first step has the ability two charge battery powered tools or run AC powered tools. for the build out. plus this vehicle has the ability of being used in a grid down situation. and can be used to power some small devices in a house during power outages, if or when they happen. I would rather not drop small metal shavings from any roof installs like vent fans or led lights on to a new floor or my bed. my bed will be my last build out. but changes to the roof will be my second build area including solar, vent fan, insulation, wiring and led lights, and inside roof material or finish. plus with the power I can use a microwave or induction plate and sleep on the floor or in a tent. I can look for used wood for my build if I want to use it. but my vehicle will give me the ability to live in, as I travel and build it out.

What is this about ? What is the ride ?
the ride could be a vehicle of your choice. it works for any vehicle not all vehicles have room for beds until a platform is built. any thing that needs to be cut requires some type of power, unless you want to use hand saws. but the power drains on a normal vehicle will be pushed to supply extra power. that is why I want the extra large wires for supplying power. it's called safety.

Hmm. First thing would be decide on a vehicle, but I appreciate the focus on power. For power there are different things you can do depending on vehicle, like a diesel vs gas vs....

Gong to need a generator or one heck of a power alternator to charge all that.

Hmm. First thing would be decide on a vehicle, but I appreciate the focus on power. For power there are different things you can do depending on vehicle, like a diesel vs gas vs....

Gong to need a generator or one heck of a power alternator to charge all that.
yes a need for a generator is correct. that is what a vehicle can be used for. remember this is just to get started on a build. I would run the vehicle during big power draws. my using a AC power tool should not take me but about 10 min's at most. it will not run all day to make a few cuts. even a microwave can be ran with the vehicle running. I belive that millions of dollars have been spent on development of alternators for vehicles. I do use my vehicle as its built from the factory. the extra gas or diesel will not be much at idle please look into it. some where between 1 quart and 1/2 gallon for most vehicles for 1 hour of running. yes that is extra ware and tare but worth it for the amount of time to build my dream. this is only for short term use. I do use my vehicle as a short term generator and will continue to do so. it's the most expensive generator we all have so why not use it.

Will your vehicle go where you want to go? You don't want to be that guy slowly creeping sideways up shallow driveways on those mere inch thick tires out in the mountains and BLM land. Road proof your chosen vehicle. Extra leaf springs, new shocks, heavy duty tires. I've seen a lot of people in factory RVS say there were places they couldn't go, or the black and grey water pipes got damaged so they were leaking.
A non RV specific vehical, where do you want to go? Do you need to raise it? 4 w drive, easy access to snow chains or digging out of sand or mud? Then consider your living needs.

Digression: for folks in the dreaming/planing stage I'll suggest a full size mock-up as the first step. Can save a lot of rework and unnecessary purchases. Works a treat even before one has bought the van.
this sounds great to do. I think I now know how much space I will have or need for my comfort level. I currently use my 96 Subaru Outback wagon. yes I can live in it but my comfort level is not even close to my needs. it can and will hold everything I require to live a good life. I have had it in many places on back roads it works real good for that. I am currently looking for my next Vehicle no matter what I decide to do as my choice. a 8x 16 foot cargo trailer will require a pull vehicle. and I am not sure I want to pull a trailer, a stepvan also has the room, a truck with camper will also do. a box truck will be higher to step into but would have the room. as I am getting older I really don't want to step up more then a foot or 2 to get into it. low but have good ground clerance for dirt roads. still looking but still interested in first steps to build a home, not vehicle maintenance or up grade's to it. I already have my own list of where to start, but was wondering if I maybe missed something. I don't have water leeks but mother nature this winter has caused all 4 door seals to leek air, they all now need to be replaced before my next trip out. they were frozen to the door frames and have pulled away from where they sit. it has 280,000 miles and still does not use oil.

I asked myself: What is the MINIMUM I can put in here (2006 Jeep GC) and be happy? That turned out to be (basically): An SUV tent, a cot, a sleeping bag, a Wynter 45 qt refer, a case of beer, 1 ea Wagan 1200 and GOLAB solar batteries, 2 Renogy 100 W solar briefcases, a DOKIO 100 W flex panel, a camp table, a folding chair, a two burner camp stove, a propane hot water heater/ shower, a 40 pound propane tank, a phased array laser rifle in the 50 Ohm range, and assorted kitchen, hygienic,and clothing items. Oh, and the dog and his stuff... It's plenty.

Cheers!

I asked myself: What is the MINIMUM I can put in here (2006 Jeep GC) and be happy? That turned out to be (basically): An SUV tent, a cot, a sleeping bag, a Wynter 45 qt refer, a case of beer, 1 ea Wagan 1200 and GOLAB solar batteries, 2 Renogy 100 W solar briefcases, a DOKIO 100 W flex panel, a camp table, a folding chair, a two burner camp stove, a propane hot water heater/ shower, a 40 pound propane tank, a phased array laser rifle in the 50 Ohm range, and assorted kitchen, hygienic,and clothing items. Oh, and the dog and his stuff... It's plenty.

Cheers!
JDub I saw what you did there lol have a good day

I always do floor first. I hate walking on the corrugated metal floors of cargo van.
Heel roll!
I see a lot of folks in YT vids do the full insulation first. Which must be nice to be able to stick the van in one place and work on it for a few months.
But I usually have had to be working with my van right away. Or presently living in it as I work on it. So floor first (which includes floor insulation)

this is my very 1st step I have planed, Doing the Big 3 or 4 wiring upgrade for high power radios on vehicles. Then adding a NoCo 130 amp 12-48 v dc Battery isolater. or a solenoid, then a battery disconnect switch, A Minn kota Circuit Breaker 12-24-36 v dc 60 amp for the battery going from isolater or solenoid to a house battery. Add a 2nd battery (house battery) that charges from the vehicle. Then add a 12v volt plug in and an a Microwave capeable inverter. The inverter this size will allow you to run what ever you want to run. Note if large current draws are needed also run the vehicle motor during and for at least 10 min, after the large amp draw has finished. No solar power needed at this time. but the inverter will allow the build to continue using power tools. if living in also add a usb light.
The first thing (in retrospect...) would be check for leaks. Then, before putting in insulation or flooring, (or for Heaven's sake walls!) make sure you have the wiring and/or plumbing planned. It's kinda hard to hide things later.

Also, I'm a strong proponent of going with the very basics, and then living in the van for a week or so. If you haven't done it, you don't really know what you need or want......

My design was guided by three principles: simplicity (I have no skills, no tools and little time), reversibility (since I didn’t know what I was doing I didn’t want to make permanent changes), and comfort (the amenities of a home). I’m not a camper, I don’t like “roughing it”. Summed up: I wanted to have my home with me every time I left the house.

My first decisions were: something reliable enough to serve as my daily transportation, that I could stand up in (comfort), and a passenger vehicle (simplicity of having finished flooring/ceiling/walls, HVAC, windows). My first step was the list of essential amenities: real bed, additional seating, galley (sink, running water, microwave, fridge), toilet, and power. This took me 40 hours to assemble (to say build would be an overstatement). Excluding cost of the vehicle, it could easily be done for less than $2k, though I spent a little more.

Since I wasn't sure about what I wanted and how I would use it, my philosophy was to hit the road, and address any pain points as they arose. There were a few simple ones (window covers, Lagun table) and a big one that I'm still contemplating (diesel heater).