what is your first step on a vehicle build

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I watched every youtube video I could find about other people's builds. Everything from a couple in a giant Sprinter with a tiled shower to a woman living fulltime in a Prius in the desert. There were so many good ideas, or ideas that sparked me to think of what I did and didn't need or want.

I then did as much camping in my vehicle as possible without any big modifications. I discovered some really important things: a 22" wide bench 3" longer than I was tall was utterly miserable to sleep on, I sleep like a starfish. In no conceivable universe did I want to shower a. inside my smaller vehicle or b. with a tarp flapping around me while standing naked outside. Most days I was happier eating food that didn't require refrigeration or cooking - canned tuna, oranges, nuts, and so on. I brought all sorts of cooler and cooking equipment and practically never used it. The unprepared vehicle was uncomfortably hot to "hang out in", which forced me to ask myself would I rather put a lot of effort and money into climate control, or live mainly outside the vehicle and just sleep in it. I watched lovely videos of vans with massive windows and then discovered that, at least for me, almost nowhere I went felt private enough to forego curtains even in the daytime.

Spending a few months at this dreamer / baseline level was so helpful in informing the choices I made. Understanding how I actually functioned in the space, what looked and sounded cool but turned out to be a no-go for me, gave me a whole lot of info about the general layout, how much power I was going to need, and what I did or didn't want to splurge on. Form follows function, so figure out those functions first!

Spending a few months at this dreamer / baseline level was so helpful in informing the choices I made. Understanding how I actually functioned in the space, what looked and sounded cool but turned out to be a no-go for me, gave me a whole lot of info about the general layout, how much power I was going to need, and what I did or didn't want to splurge on. Form follows function, so figure out those functions first!
You did it exactly right! We see so many newbies here who clearly have little or no camping experience, and are going off some fantasy they've seen on youtube.

Start with the vehicle you have and the stuff you have and try stuff out. Because ultimately - it isn't about the vehicle.If you actually like the life, you can make it work in anything.

this is my very 1st step I have planed, Doing the Big 3 or 4 wiring upgrade for high power radios on vehicles. Then adding a NoCo 130 amp 12-48 v dc Battery isolater. or a solenoid, then a battery disconnect switch, A Minn kota Circuit Breaker 12-24-36 v dc 60 amp for the battery going from isolater or solenoid to a house battery. Add a 2nd battery (house battery) that charges from the vehicle. Then add a 12v volt plug in and an a Microwave capeable inverter. The inverter this size will allow you to run what ever you want to run. Note if large current draws are needed also run the vehicle motor during and for at least 10 min, after the large amp draw has finished. No solar power needed at this time. but the inverter will allow the build to continue using power tools. if living in also add a usb light.
Empty the thing.
Toss in some car-camping gear, go have fun.
Allow the conversion to evolve organically.
You may realize you need much less than you think.
And avoid thinking 'this rig is my forever rig'.
You grow, your travel needs change.

My first step was actually sleeping in my car with some blankets to figure out what I needed.