What is the coldest it's been while in your van?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scout

Reaction score
Last night it was -8 and felt like -27 with the wind chill. I got it to 38 in my van with the wave 3. That was also from driving I got it to 70 with the dash heater then turned the wave 3 on right after i shut the van down.
I would like to know others temperature so I can compare how im doing. I feel like I have a lot of insulation and I have the windows covered but not the cab area. I have a doubled up wool blanket for a partition.

-35 Celsius.

We've been at about -20 for over a week and I'm doing all right with a kerosene heater. Would really like to get the woodstove in but it's just too cold to do the install.

I snowbird to avoid cold weather. So my sleeping bags (I have several that I can layer together) are good down to about zero, and the coldest I've actually been in in the van has been the upper teens (though I will only tolerate that for a night or two, and if it is regularly below freezing I will pack up and head south).

But I used to live in Pennsylvania as a kid and did a lot of backpacking on the Appalachian trail, including winter camping. The lowest temps I'd voluntarily go out in were about minus 10. I had an Army-surplus sleeping bag to handle that. I could have survived a bit colder than that, but I wouldn't voluntarily subject myself to it.

Homeless in Canada said:
-35 Celsius.

We've been at about -20 for over a week and I'm doing all right with a kerosene heater. Would really like to get the woodstove in but it's just too cold to do the install.

Wow that's cold. What temperature are you able to get it inside?

lenny flank said:
I snowbird to avoid cold weather. So my sleeping bags (I have several that I can layer together) are good down to about zero, and the coldest I've actually been in in the van has been the upper teens (though I will only tolerate that for a night or two, and if it is regularly below freezing I will pack up and head south).

But I used to live in Pennsylvania as a kid and did a lot of backpacking on the Appalachian trail, including winter camping. The lowest temps I'd voluntarily go out in were about minus 10. I had an Army-surplus sleeping bag to handle that. I could have survived a bit colder than that, but I wouldn't voluntarily subject myself to it.

I wish I could snowbird but my job keeps me here for now.
I have a military sleep system but I didn't use it the other night. My goal was to test my wave 3 and it was ok but my feet were freezing. Next time ill use the bag.

I survived a single night at +5 F in Flagstaff. It wasn't comfy at all, but I had a good sleeping bag to keep my warm enough (until I got out of bed the next morning). I moved on quickly that morning.

Mostly, I do not see below freezing temps very often. Since my water tank is external, I move on within a day or two of below freezing temps. Although, I've spent a few nights in the 20's in the recent year quite comfortable with the new insulation. So much so, that I left behind the Mr Buddy heater in early 2018 as I found it easier to just crank up the motor for 5 minutes and run the heater. It would warm the van faster than the Buddy heater and I freed up some space since I no longer have to store it when not in use.

10 to 15 degrees F at night is common in Oregon where I am.

Although the wave 3 was OK for California, I find the wave 6 ideal for 60 degree inside temps during those cold nights.

I run it on low all night and stay comfy in my Dodge high top van.

It sounds like I should have got a wave 6. The cold we got the other night is not normal but I had my wave 3 cranked after warming the van up while driving. I still have a sleeping bag I didn't use and I found some down socks I'm going to try.

On a ski trip to Thunder Bay, Ontario; went to bed at +28ºF and woke up at 3 AM at -23ºF, chilled to the bone.  Spent the rest of the night until the ski hill opened at a Denny's taking turns ordering.  '64 Chevy 'campervan'.  I was young enough then that skiing in below 0º temps was an adventure, with enough youthful energy to drive back to Duluth, MN at the end of the day.

Scout said:
Wow that's cold. What temperature are you able to get it inside?

I can get it as warm as I like. My trailer is insulated and the kerosene heater is 23,500 BTU so it heats up pretty fast.

In my 2004 Transit in Poland -10 Celcius

In the states 0 F in my 2016 with a wesbasto fuel fired diesel heater

its been a mild winter for me, so far inside the back of my van it hasn't got below 55 degrees, the lowest outside temperature I recorded on my outside thermometer was 32 degrees.

Right now its 52 degrees outside, inside my van its 82 degrees, I have my swampcooler running to keep cool. The rear of my van is heavily insulated, havent used a heater or sleeping bag in 2 years. 

temp cold.jpg

Attachments

• temp cold.jpg
    temp cold.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 8
Started my van life 10 days ago. It was 60 in CT when I left which is warm for February. Overnight in a truck stop it was 30 inside van in Ohio. Next night it was -11 in Iowa and a blizzard so i stayed in a motel. Next night I was in Gooseneck State park in Utah and it was 18 outside and windy ad heck on the cliffs but it was 30 inside. Ran the Mr Buddy every 3 hours and with my 2wool blankets it was still an uncomfortable night. I do have a sleeping bag that I bought days before leaving. It was suppose to be a 30degree (never opened it) but i opened it the day after Goosenecks and its actually a Teton 5degree. IvI' been in AZ for a week now with it being in the 30s inside some nights and I just use the sleeping bag, no heater, no wool blankets and not cold once. Stupid of me not to check before I left. I would have actually stayed in southern Utah if I knew the sleeping bag would have been good for 18degrees.

The weekend before this year's Polar Vortex in NE Wisconsin, according to my min-max thermometer it was -10F inside, -24F outside. Only heat sources were one chemical hand warmer & body heat.

I only spent the nights in my van, and spent the days in a local cafe.
Not recommended, but in my personal case, better than the homeless shelter. :)

Last week we experienced low temps of -31 F overnight. It lasted for about 3 nights and daytime temps were only marginally warmer.
I kept the inside of my cube van at around 70 F, so I stayed inside lots!