What do you wish you had more of & less of?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRVBoondocker

Reaction score
Ok hopefully this is in the right place to post... let me know if there is a similar thread elsewhere. 

Aside from money, what is the one thing in your travels that you wish you had more and less of. It could be anything like more LTVA areas, more lithium batteries or less stigma with full-timers....Everyone experiences this so differently it might be great to and hear from all different perspectives. At least so far what seems to emerge for me is;

More of: cooking space

Less of: accumulated junk i dont use

Have a great day  :D

Hi and Welcome DRVBoondocker!  I did start a similar thread recently where you can get more information.  Hindsight:  If I knew then what I know now.   

I'm new to choosing the van life and am only in the planning and pre-buying stage, but I eagerly intend on going full-time and long-term.  Unfortunately, the only answers I can give you right now, for myself, are:

1.  Money.  I'm debt free and intend on staying that way, so when I buy, it will be cash on the barrelhead.
2.  Skills, or friends with skills (electrical, plumbing, carpentry, etc.,) for the build.

Aside from money, the answer is even "more" money.

Unfortunately, it takes lots of money if you want to travel, just for gas alone, rather than parking your vehicle somewheres and sitting. Bob Wells constantly gets questions from people who say they have no money whatsoever, and ask how they can get into this lifestyle. He always responds that ... he can't "work magic".

So one has to work out a realistic budget for the long-term ahead of time, and everything else is pudding and ice cream after that, in a relative sense. Probably the best way to reduce costs, however, is to do like BW does - stay in places for weeks at a time, then gas costs are minimal. So it's a relative tradeoff between: traveling and squatting.

As you go along, you learn what stuff you need along the way. It's really pretty simple.

More: fuel mileage

Less: miles on my van and on my body

More: Time - lots more time! I'm always finding new things to do and see and figure I will have to live to be 150 to even come close to seeing it all!

Less: miles on my body!!... :D  the van is doing okay, me, not so much!!

I don't know anyone, no matter how well of, that would not want more money!

Hmm.

More:

Space

Versatility or multi-taskable items and areas in my wagon.

Better organization - always work in progress

More friends and associates who are ft dwellers, especially in hybrids that have a home base but travel in various ways and means. Most of the local ft dwellers don’t travel at all, so they can’t fathom how i travel especially on disability income.

More solar panels - even just one at this point would be awesome to go with my Kodiak Inergy generator.

Another battery to hook up to my generator- after I have more space after digitizing stuff.

More knowledge and understanding on all this energy and power stuff.

Padding on my seats to include on the back of my backseats

More stealth options where I can still see out but others not see in while not appearing to have up even a front visor.

More easier ways of cleaning harder areas where every crumb tends to go.

Less:

Bills

Mileage on my wagon - already at 84,000 miles, which just doesn’t seem possible yet to me.

Lower interest rate on my car loan (coming soon I hope) and credit cards.

Less stigma and discrimination from various viewpoints and parts of society.

Less need to clean as often.

Less fill ups at the gas station.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

More: Time
Less:   Time wasters

More: Energy
Less:   Body aches and pains

More: Sunny days
Less:   Dingy days

More: Open spaces
Less:   Forest fires

Almost There said:
More: Time - lots more time! I'm always finding new things to do and see and figure I will have to live to be 150 to even come close to seeing it all!
I remember reading an article about David Cassidy's last words before he passed away:  "So much wasted time..."

Sadly, he's far from the only person who has said that on their death bed.

Jack said:
I remember reading an article about David Cassidy's last words before he passed away:  "So much wasted time..."

Sadly, he's far from the only person who has said that on their death bed.

I read some good articles about him at the time of his passing.  Some very touching.  I used to love that show, and he was very good in it.  Had some of their and his albums when I was a kid too.  

He had a tough time and a difficult time with his dad, who always coldly resented his success.  His typecasting was near absolute, too, making it very tough for him to move on from short-term immense to success to ... anything else at all.  Like his dad, he wound up with alcohol problems.  Eventually, early dementia too.

Very interesting guy.  Wish things has worked out a bit better for him.