What do you think?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GotSmart

Reaction score
As soon as the roads are safe, I am going to look at this.  No pictures yet.  From the description, what do you think?  I do not know Fords. 

[size=large]1997 Ford E350 Hightop 7.3 Diesel - $3200[/size]

Has very desirable 7.3 Diesel that runs great.

I have owned this van for 8 years and have only put only 6000 miles on it. I have $5000 of receipts for misc repairs from previous owner right before I bought it. 
Transmission was replaced at 150k miles. 
Runs great no problems. Could use an alignment.
Hard to find Extended version with High top. 
A/c blows cold. Heater works great. 
One of the batteries is dead and I took it out so it won't kill the other one. 

Wheel chair lift works and is worth $500-1200 if you want to sell it

Also has a full size trailer hitch. 

I was going to put 4 wheel drive on it and build a camping interior to turn it into a Sportsmobile but I am moving and no longer have time. 

1997 E350 Diesel 7.3 high top
condition: good
cylinders: 8 cylinders
drive: rwd
fuel: diesel
odometer: 262000
paint color: white
size: full-size
title status: clean
transmission: automatic
type: van

Except for the fact that you can't hardly give those lifts away it sounds almost to good to be true!

The guy does not have a camera phone, so no pictures.  

We will see it once the ice is off the roads.

What I posted was everything from the ad. No pictures or other details.

If I get it, you will have first shot at it.  Food or beer usually works.  :D

That ad sounds eerily familiar .................

rvpopeye said:
That ad sounds eerily familiar .................

I was given an address to go see the van in a public area.  

Why does it sound familiar?  I ran key phrases, and no hits.

Not sure , I just feel like I've seen that ad before. Can't be sure where.
All that aside , I'd probably try to take a look at it.

GotSmart said:
Could use an alignment.

Bring it to a mechanic and have them check out the whole vehicle before you buy it.  It'll be well worth the $100 you pay the mechanic.

My truck (2000 F150) needed an alignment... then it turned out to be two worn out ball joints and a broken stabilizer bar.  Nearly $1,000 that I'm choosing to not put into the old truck.  But if you want to keep it or a while, make sure it's just an alignment and nothing more serious.

Plus of course, the mechanic will tell you about the other issues going on in the vehicle.  Best to make an informed decision.

I would like to know if the motor is familiar to others here.  

I do not know ford motors.  Bodies and running gear I can check out with my eyes closed.  Just by running my hand over a tire I can tell what the front end problem is.  Feathering, cupping, scrubbing, I learned in the old time garages from professional drivers.  

For $500 I can get a complete Moog front end parts kit with every piece new for your F150.  $275 for the cheap complete kit.  Rock Auto.  

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/

Well, you know much more about motors than I do, but I will say that the 7.3 IDI us what's in my 2002 E450, and both before and after buying I've only seen praise for it, here, other places and just talking to people. Something even rings a bell that the '97 might be considered better/simpler, especially for someone who knows how th wrench on them.

Downside is replacement cost if it craps out, but that sounds like a fair price all things considered

make a post in mech issues

the price is right,260k,thats a lot,but lets see what the rust report says

i think you need a new project,still have the dodge?

Gary68 said:
make a post in mech issues

the price is right,260k,thats a lot,but lets see what the rust report says

i think you need a new project,still have the dodge?

Yes.  I have a new radiator to drop in it, and it should be 100%.  

As long as it drives, I can build the ford on the road.  

Up to 2 inches of snow tomorrow.  No radiator work.

IIRC, they were using their regular automatic transmissions with the diesel engines.  Problem was, the diesel has nearly twice the torque of a gas engine and the tranny had trouble handling that.  I'm not surprised the transmission was replaced at 150,000 miles, that's pretty much par for the course.  But since you're now at 262,000 miles, there's a good chance it will need ANOTHER tranny, either now or real soon.

Talk to a tranny guy about these issues.  As I recall, they eventually found ways to beef these tranny's up with better, aftermarket parts so they would stand up to the diesel torque.  If that was done with the first rebuild, you may still be good.  If not, you definitely want to do this with the NEXT rebuild.

GotSmart said:
I would like to know if the motor is familiar to others here. 

First thing to keep in mind is that there were TWO 7.3 diesel engines used in Fords.  The early ones were naturally aspirated and used a mechanical fuel pump.  These were built by International.  These are the ones - I believe - that HDR is always saying are so great.  Discontinued in 94.

The later ones were also built by International, but after it became Navistar.  It was a completely different design and used a turbocharger and electronic engine controls.  Discontinued in 03, replaced by the 6.0 (a horrible engine) because it couldn't meet the stricter engine emission standards coming along.

Personally, I don't trust turbocharged engines, I think the supercharging stresses them too much for long life, but that could be due to a bad experience I had in my younger days with a turbocharged Corvair.  To be fair, I will note that the Wikipedia article claims the this model is widely considered to be one of the best engines that International/Navistar ever produced.

I am still trapped in the house, as Missouri DOT had a huge failure to launch in preparation for this ice mess.  Sub 0 tonight.  Perhaps next week I can check it out.  

Thanks OP.  I will see what exactly is in it, and see what is needed.

If you have to do any major repairs to a 7.3L in a van you're in for a world of hurt. I did a re. & re. on a van (class c with an E-350 van front, 7.3L) and it was a nightmare. Another thing to watch out for is the Ford E4OD 4 spd auto tranny. The earlier ones had a very poor reputation and good luck finding a replacement at a reasonable price. ..Willy.