What do you do with your dog when you have to go shopping for food?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unfortunately I lost my travel buddy in 2020 but this was also something that was an issue for me. At the time, I was towing a small teardrop so, unless I had shore power at the time, I couldn’t leave him in the camper.
I purchased a used tow vehicle in 2018 as my previous wagon wasn’t getting it for towing through the mountains. The new SUV had an auto start installed. I really had no use for this function. But, it turned out to be a godsend. I figured out that when I used the auto start, the car would run for 25 minutes before it shut off. But it also had an anti-theft function. If the door is opened, it shuts the car off and it can only be restarted with the key. Not to mention a 100lb dog makes for a good anti theft function too.
So, any time I needed to shop, I could start the car with the AC on full blast. It also made me more efficient as I had to finish all of my business in 25 minutes time. I would set a 20 minute timer on my phone when I hit the starter and checked out as soon as it went off if I hadn’t already done so.
Not the best nor the cheapest solution; I know. But I lucked out that the car already had the otherwise useless, to me, started installed when I bought it. Another feature the car had, when I bought it, that I never would have invested in my self. The SUV already had very dark window tint on all but the windshield and front doors. The previous owner had the front windows tinted and with a windshield sun shade, you could barely see in the vehicle.
It kept it cooler inside and you really couldn’t see the dog inside because he was black, so people wouldn’t be inclined to smash my windows if they didn’t comprehend that it was probably ~62 degrees inside the car!

Despite being mentioned previously, it seems to be commonly disregarded, and some feel its an answer to what to do with their dog to go into a store, but to reiterate, its not legal in many states to leave a vehicle running unattended. A quick search turned up this, and it may not be complete, as per the information I was told by the officer in Montana of it being illegal there. Check your local laws before trying it, besides it being a bad idea with regards to possibly losing your vehicle by it being stolen.

States where it’s illegal to idle your car​

States with anti-idling laws include:

• Arizona
  • California
  • Colorado
  • Connecticut
  • Delaware
  • District of Columbia
  • Georgia
  • Hawaii
  • Idaho
  • Illinois
  • Kansas
  • Maine
  • Maryland
  • Massachusetts
  • Michigan
  • Minnesota
  • Missouri
  • Nevada
  • New Hampshire
  • New Jersey
  • New York
  • North Carolina
  • Ohio
  • Oregon
  • Pennsylvania
  • Rhode Island
  • South Carolina
  • Texas
  • Utah
  • Vermont
  • Virginia
  • West Virginia

Despite being mentioned previously, it seems to be commonly disregarded, and some feel its an answer to what to do with their dog to go into a store, but to reiterate, its not legal in many states to leave a vehicle running unattended. A quick search turned up this, and it may not be complete, as per the information I was told by the officer in Montana of it being illegal there. Check your local laws before trying it, besides it being a bad idea with regards to possibly losing your vehicle by it being stolen.

States where it’s illegal to idle your car​

States with anti-idling laws include:

• Arizona
  • California
  • Colorado
  • Connecticut
  • Delaware
  • District of Columbia
  • Georgia
  • Hawaii
  • Idaho
  • Illinois
  • Kansas
  • Maine
  • Maryland
  • Massachusetts
  • Michigan
  • Minnesota
  • Missouri
  • Nevada
  • New Hampshire
  • New Jersey
  • New York
  • North Carolina
  • Ohio
  • Oregon
  • Pennsylvania
  • Rhode Island
  • South Carolina
  • Texas
  • Utah
  • Vermont
  • Virginia
  • West Virginia

This is info to consider as well:

https://www.animallaw.info/topic/table-state-laws-protect-animals-left-parked-vehicles

I wonder if it would be feasible for some people to provide a pet-sitting service for others who need to go shopping?

The sitter would need some shade, like an awning, and a way to keep most of the dogs separated.

The pet owner would have to provide a suitable chain with a clip on each end (NO chewable leashes or ropes), a water bowl, a container of water, maybe a blankie. Lightweight chain can be bought by the foot at most hardware stores, and clips, suitable even for Chihuahuas.

Charge maybe a dollar or two per hour? Exchange services?

I have a small dog and a dog stroller. Most places (even restaurants) let me in and she likes the adventure of a good store.

Easy. I start the Honda generator in the cargo box which in turn runs the window AC unit in the rear side window, check to be sure the compressor kicks in, then go shopping. I keep the window unit set at 61 degrees, its usually cold inside the 4runner.

I think Ill get a thermal alert this summer, but so far Ive never had a problem with the generator and window AC.

BTW, I started the Honda a few days ago after it sitting in the cargo box all winter on the back of the 4runner, 5th pull and it was purring. I think its been 5 months or so since it was running, Im not sure if it had ethanol gas or not. I havent used any treatment in it nor drained the carb, run it dry or anything else, it just works.

So for those of you who are SINGLE and have pets, how do you handle it when you go grocery shopping? What do you do with the dog? Especially on aa hot day?

Even a few minutes in a hot auto can kill an animal here in Phoenix. I would never leave her in the car around here, but even on a nice summer day in a "cooler climate' the car temperatures can reach temps 30 degrees above what they are outside.

I don't have an a/c that I can run, on my portable power station, but I'm thinking that might be the only solution...to buy a small A/C unit and keep it on when I have to run into the grocery store for 5 minutes.

Or, wait...I have seen grocery stores here in AZ where you can pick up food if you order it online They do the shopping for you. Do they do that all over now? if they do, that will solve all my problems. I'm happy to pay a little more to avoid keeping my dog in a hot car.

Thank God...ok, problem solved. Whew!

Nevermind....
I just use the Walmart app, order, then schedule a time but I want to pick up! They come and put everything right in your vehicle!

If you have a well behaved dog just register it as a service dog so you can take it anywhere.

I have a remote start for my car so I can run the AC and monitor inside temp if I have animals in the car. Which I don't. :censored:
You can't just register your dog as a service animal, unless you do it through one of those illegal places that send you an illegal vest.

Reactions: D'L
Well behaved does not does not qualify.

Reactions: D'L
Is it illegal to disguise a dog as a service animal?
  • In Texas, outfitting your dog as a service animal (when it is not) is a misdemeanor, punishable by a fine of up to $300 and 30 hours of community service. A handful of states also make it a crime to pretend that you are a person with a disability who is entitled to have a service animal or assistance dog with you.
https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclop...nal-support-animal-under-false-pretenses.html
A handful of states also make it a crime to pretend that you are a person with a disability who is entitled to have a service animal or assistance dog with you.

Why False Claims Are So Damaging​

For people with disabilities, specially trained service animals play an absolutely vital role. They make it possible for those with disabilities to work, travel, stay safe, and, in some cases, stay alive.

By falsely claiming that your pet is a service animal in order to, for example, bring it into a restaurant with you or take it on the bus, you are not only inconveniencing others who have to put up with your animal. You are poisoning attitudes towards true service animals, and leading bystanders and proprietors to believe others may be "faking it." In addition, if you enter a facility where an actual service animal is working, your untrained animal may jeopardize the safety of the service animal and its handler. And, you may also be breaking the law. Leave your pet at home, and allow true service animals to do their jobs.

Is it illegal to disguise a dog as a service animal?
  • In Texas, outfitting your dog as a service animal (when it is not) is a misdemeanor, punishable by a fine of up to $300 and 30 hours of community service. A handful of states also make it a crime to pretend that you are a person with a disability who is entitled to have a service animal or assistance dog with you.
https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclop...nal-support-animal-under-false-pretenses.html
A handful of states also make it a crime to pretend that you are a person with a disability who is entitled to have a service animal or assistance dog with you.

Why False Claims Are So Damaging​

For people with disabilities, specially trained service animals play an absolutely vital role. They make it possible for those with disabilities to work, travel, stay safe, and, in some cases, stay alive.

By falsely claiming that your pet is a service animal in order to, for example, bring it into a restaurant with you or take it on the bus, you are not only inconveniencing others who have to put up with your animal. You are poisoning attitudes towards true service animals, and leading bystanders and proprietors to believe others may be "faking it." In addition, if you enter a facility where an actual service animal is working, your untrained animal may jeopardize the safety of the service animal and its handler. And, you may also be breaking the law. Leave your pet at home, and allow true service animals to do their jobs.
Amen and thank you. I have a LEGAL service dog..with all manner of training certificates & ID card, etc. That's because I have a disability and she is trained to help me during an emergency. BTW: It is NOT a matter of having your dog 'trained' and then never keeping up with her training. My dog & I work on her lessons DAILY. --- Thank you Ella1 for speaking up about the awfulness of having a pretend service dog. It has already poisoned the minds of people in restaurants, stores...but after they observe my dog for less than a minute they SEE how focused she is on me, how she responds to my needs, etc. (Last week in Walmart, a store employee came out of nowhere to thank me for having a "real" service dog & "not trying to trick us with a mutt that doesn't mind anyone." --- So please stop playing tricks. If you have a bonafide disability then find a bonafide trainer & get your dog trained for your needs. Otherwise, I'm sorry, but you'll have to make other plans for when you need to shop. -- Thank you also, for NOT leaving your dog in a hot car!

so flaunting the law and possibly endangering disabled people who actually need a service animal is fine with you and your mom...
Dogs used to be able to run free and that was a nuisance - but, now we have leashes, we scoop at the park, we spends tons of money at the vet and on and one. You can legally register you dog as a emotional support service animal. I had a friend who did this for travel reasons - it was less hassle at hotels and since it was a very well behaved rescue Pitbull puppy, it made other residents more comfortable to see the registered service vest, but although the dog was in training she kept it away from people for the most part and never took it to the grocery store. I don't see this as a problem since the dog went from the room to the pet area and back to the room again. I worked in a office where we had service dogs and it is a different proposition entirely. People have a different relationship to animals today - they're family - but people being people, some will be annoying and improper no matter what the circumstance is.
https://www.esaregistration.org/

Last edited:
I am 64 and have been around dogs my whole adult life in all types of situations. "Trained" service dogs and their certificates cost a small fortune that many people cannot afford.

When I got my most recent companion who is serving as an Emotional Support Animal it took me 4 years to find him. He is mine and I am his. I have trained him in on and off lead obedience and provide outside socialization when I can. He is well behaved and non aggressive.

I would love to leave him home in a hot climate for a short run into a grocery store or other quick stop. But my home is now on wheels. I am not going to leave my dog in a hot car for ANY reason. If he can't go, then neither will I.

I applaud all expensive, certified service animals and would do nothing to jeopardize their ability to do their jobs.

Dogs used to be able to run free and that was a nuisance - but, now we have leashes, we scoop at the park, we spends tons of money at the vet and on and one. You can legally register you dog as a emotional support service animal. I had a friend who did this for travel reasons - it was less hassle at hotels and since it was a very well behaved rescue Pitbull puppy, it made other residents more comfortable to see the registered service vest, but although the dog was in training she kept it away from people for the most part and never took it to the grocery store. I don't see this as a problem since the dog went from the room to the pet area and back to the room again. I worked in a office where we had service dogs and it is a different proposition entirely. People have a different relationship to animals today - they're family - but people being people, some will be annoying and improper no matter what the circumstance is.
https://www.esaregistration.org/
An emotional support animal is extremely different from a Service Dog.

If a person puts a Service Dog vest on a dog that is not actually a service dog, that is fake and not a good idea.
If they don't really need an emotional support dog and put a fake vest on their dog that is also a bad idea.

Emotional support animals, if proven to be so by having a medical or psychological doctor (some states say more than one) sign a paper stating that you have a mental disorder such as anxiety or PTSD that is helped by having an emotional support animal. Being designated as an emotional support dog only means that a landlord cannot refuse to rent to you and your dog.

However, it is not legal anywhere to take an emotional support animal into stores, restaurants, or other places where animals are not permitted.
It used to be that if you had an emotional support animal you could take them on a plane, but that has changed and the major airlines no longer accept animals in the cabin unless they are genuine service dogs.

To put a fake service dog vest or an emotional support animal vest on a dog just to get into some place is morally, ethically, and legally wrong.

To do so is to disrespect the people who are actually disabled, either mentally or physically, and have gone through over a year of very specific training, or in some cases have received a trained dog from a center that trains and places Service Dogs. This is not a simple thing, and even in the places where they breed dogs to become service dogs a number of them usually do not make it through the training because it really takes a certain kind of dog, and dog-handler bond. While it is legal to train your own service dog, most people do not have the skill to do that without the help of a true trainer, and the vast majority of dogs that people keep as pets will not make the grade as service dogs.

A person fakes a service dog takes the risk that the dog will behave in a manner that no true service dog would, and not in a good way. This makes it exponentially harder for people with real service dogs to get the people in businesses to take them seriously.

That behavior doesn't have to be what one would call bad for a normal dog. Just approaching a person and asking for petting is not permitted in a service dog, as their attention needs to be on the handler. Sniffing items on shelves, looking around instead of being focused, barking....all the things that normal (and well behaved) dogs do are never permitted to a working service dog.

I have worked with service dogs and people who train them. I can spot a fake one a long way away.

People with disabilities have a hard enough life. Don't ever disrespect them by imitating a service dog. It's not fair to anyone, even your dog, and it makes life for disabled people even harder than it already is.

More and more you see them in Wal-marts and most WMs have grocery sections.

I've seen dogs riding in the carts as people shopped. Lots of abuse of the 'service/comfort animal' ploy.
"...service/comfort animal' ploy "
Some of us need a service dog. I have a letter from my doctor--who updates that letter annually. -- I've spent countless hours and $--on training my service dog==with professional service dog trainers--- and, of course, I needed training so I could learn & practice everything she needs to do on my behalf when in a health emergency.
We practice DAILY..it's like play for her. (That's because we train using positive methods.)
She came to me as a 6 wk old rescue puppy--needing to be hand fed. By the time she was 10 mos old she passed the CGC exam with a perfect score (Canine Good Citizenship). She has won obedience awards. And when she's not 'working'--she won't be wearing her official vest--and she loves to play with other dogs & wow! can she fetch. -- Her photo is my avatar.
In the state where I live, nowadays I'm seeing more yapping, sniffing, crazy dogs being sent out Safeway's door (with their complaining owners). BTW: It is downright UNsanitary to put your dog in your grocery cart...maybe you don't mind but what about the person who uses that cart afterwards?
If your dog is small enough, I've seen some being carried in their owner's purse or backpack. (I'm guessing they aren't trained service dogs..and that's ok with me--and apparently with some store managers--)
Gawd! If you're going to have a dog, please train it...and PLEASE don't pass it off as a bonafide service dog if it's not fully trained to address your personal challenge(s).
Thanks for reading.

Last edited: