What do you do when you're sick (in the incapacitating way)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ToyotaEscaper

Reaction score
Thankfully I rarely ever get any kind of cold or flu anymore thanks to strong immune system and the few times I do it's usually just a little upset stomach or runny nose and coughing. But then earlier this week I had some bad food, must've been the milk and got the food poisoning. I didn't vomit too much or anything but was really nauseous and dizzy. Unlike other times when I was sick I couldn't just drive through it anyways and ended up spending the thursday and friday in bed with the Escaper parked in Walmart. Felt mostly fine saturday and got a few gallons of water and am drove out to to BLM land to wait it out make sure it doesn't come back.

I got lucky that time cuz it was fine there, but I do wonder what would any of you do if you were in a stealth camping spot and had to keep moving/couldn't stay long what would you do then? I am alone and tend to keep to myself even more than usual now (started hating society the past couple years after all the post election hysteria). Plus my health is for sh*t so I haven't been able to work for a while so very limited on money/no healthcare and can't just get a tow or take a trip to the hospital, nor do I want to even be debt for that. 

Though also another thought occurs while typing this is what if the same happened while you were out boondocking in the middle of nowhere and just about at the end of your stay (right as the water/power starts to run out).

Don't worry about tomorrow - today's challenges are enough. But store water - it is the practical thing to do. If you get sick, you'll find a place to sleep it off.

What we can survive with rest is amazing. Be careful with anxiety as that can be the opposite of mother’s chicken soup.

You should think about locations where you should be on the waitlist for housing. It takes years.

That’s what I did after a food poisoning mistake. I can still boondock, but it takes most of my discretionary income.

Yep, keep a couple of gallons of water stored away for emergency times, and get yourself thru it.

If you’re close to the end of a stay, but ill, I’m sure some allowance would be made for that, so that’s probably the least of your concerns.

I had an experience last winter with a sudden inner ear something that left me so dizzy I couldn’t drive for a couple of days.

If you have water, you can stay hydrated, and that’s a biggie.

Good luck.

Loperamide and mylanta in the emergency kit, but food poisoning can be fatal depending on what you get into. Keep something that induces vomiting, and know where the nearest ER is just in case? Even if it's 50 miles away. Being aware of what season you're likely to get sick in? Flu shots? Penecillian from over some border on hand? This is a good question. What would be the ideal kit to carry? Nomedic used to carry his oh-shit bag from the military, maybe something like that would be a good idea.

I always keep stuff on hand for diarrhea of infection, because those can get insane very quickly.

As to water, I have a Berkey filter and am a strong believer in having lots and lots of good, clean water on hand. Virtually every metabolic process in your body uses water, and that's not even counting emergencies like dehydration, an unfortunate spill, some crazy hot days, etc.

Dingfelder said:
I always keep stuff on hand for diarrhea of infection, because those can get insane very quickly.

As to water, I have a Berkey filter and am a strong believer in having lots and lots of good, clean water on hand.  Virtually every metabolic process in your body uses water, and that's not even counting emergencies like dehydration, an unfortunate spill, some crazy hot days, etc.

Good point everyone made about the water. I usually fill up with a little extra more than I think I'll need though I've always been able to refill in town whenever I needed to so I never thought about that. I'll make sure to get a supply specifically for stashed for emergencies now incase I ever do run out. As for that other thing about the housing list, I'll just stick with the RV thanks. It is preferred.

Water, yes!  Lots, yes!

Also, don't be afraid to fast through it.  Eating takes a lot of work for your body to digest the food.  If you skip food, it allows your body to focus all its energy on healing.  (Fasting is healthful; a few days of not eating won't kill you but will probably speed healing).  If you fast 2 or 3 days with just water, you'll have to come out of the fast slowly as you feel better.  My mom always gave me buttered toast to break the fast.  Yum.

When I'm sick, I allow myself to focus on healing - water is handy, bathroom is handy, I sleep into oblivion, and I do this alone with no one bothering me (a luxury unless you have kids).  The challenge on the road is finding a place that is comfortable and quiet where you won't be bothered for a few days and making sure you have what you need.

'
I'm not a fan of running to the doctor for things like this.  I understand there may be times a doctor visit is necessary so I am not speaking to that.

I'm all about prevention...KEEP YOUR BODY RE'VED UP SO IT WILL KICK ASS IF SOMETHING TRIES TO ATTACK IT.     i drink a LOT of GREEN TEA (Matcha/organic)  
KOMBUCHA/ORGANIC.  COCONUT WATER/ORGANIC.  VITAMINS. EAT HEALTHY.

Knock on wood.........i never get sick.   I am overweight & not young....yet i work my ass off & always taking probiotics of some kind .   i have a cast iron stomach.   

So i say PREVENTION .   As with any other thing....you have the power to prevent (some things) if you think ahead....

^^ A friendly note: Can you please dial back on the ALL CAPS? It makes your post very hard to read.

:)

lenny flank said:
^^ A friendly note: Can you please dial back on the ALL CAPS? It makes your post very hard to read.

:)

really ?    i thought it would be easier because it's bigger !    ok....sorry ....

/\lol YOU JUST GOT PULLED OVER BY THE UPPERCASE PATROL! THEYRE USUALLY PRETTY CHILL, ITS THE GRAMMAR POLICE THAT ARE THE ONES TO WORRY ABOUT... lol

Wabbit said:
/\lol YOU JUST GOT PULLED OVER BY THE UPPERCASE PATROL! THEYRE USUALLY PRETTY CHILL, ITS THE GRAMMAR POLICE THAT ARE THE ONES TO WORRY ABOUT... lol

that's ok....im just worried about the ecliptical police.................................................  :s

Latest posts