What company can you insure a modified van through?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Giggles

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend an insurance company for a modified cargo van?  Geico won't insure it because t used to be an FBI surveillance van. 

They said they cannot insure it because it's been modified. (It was an FBI surveillance van.) But the dealership does not have paperwork on the conversions that were done.

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]I have been with Geico[/font][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif] for [/font][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]years[/font][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif] and years....this really pisses me off.[/font]

Maybe I will just lie to the next company and tell hem it's a regular cargo van.

Insurance rules differ from state to state. What works in one state won't necessarily work in another. It's possible you might have to register/insure your vehicle in another state.

Contact an insurance broker.

Also, visit www.escapees.com They have a lot of info on this stuff.

Pro tip - never lie to your insurance company.

Giggles said:
Can anyone recommend an insurance company for a modified cargo van?  Geico won't insure it because t used to be an FBI surveillance van. 

Maybe I will just lie to the next company and tell hem it's a regular cargo van.

Telling them it's a cargo van wouldn't be lying. They will ask if you will be using it for business purposes (higher rates) so just tell them it's for personal use. You're single and only need 2 seats...

Some companies (or agents) will want to look at it and check the odometer reading and for prior damage since you are a new client.

Does it still look like a regular van on the outside?

Good to know. My van is a used cargo van and when I first insured it was before the build out. I wonder if my expensive Geico insurance is worthless now? 
-crofter

What year is the van?  Are you wanting full coverage or just liability?

"Mofification" can mean lots of things.  What modification(s) does it have that they would object to?

If whatever has been done to it doesn't affect how it drives,steers and stops you should at least be able to get liability coverage.

I’m with progressive have been for years. My older van was a Safari just had shelves in a bed in the back one of the shelves pull down to make a little desk or cooking area. I never even mentioned it to him. This van was a conversion van with a seat that turned into a bed and curtains made for privacy so I assume that what I’m doing with it is the same thing I might be in a more nights than someone else would be but I’m still traveling from place to place living out of it not in it staying at other places from time to time I only have liability there’s no coverage on the van itself. I just didn’t get into it with them. Again I’m using the van for what it was designed for a traveling van fit for sleeping.

Liability only policy should not be a problem, but you wouldn't be reimbursed in a loss event. Save the monthly add on premium for collision and comprehensive in a separate account.

An insurer would be taking a big risk with a modified vehicle with no industry certifications.

The higher the risk, the higher the premium charged, and more trouble proving that the loss was not a result of the modifications.

And thanks for reminding of why I do not take out a loan to buy a vehicle.

wayne49 said:
Liability only policy should not be a problem, but you wouldn't be reimbursed in a loss event...
Too bad. Full coverage gets you coverage on any vehicle you drive, plus includes fire and theft.  -crofter

Thank you everyone for you help! I got insured. I guess Geico is weird when it comes to insuring cargo vans....they won't insure them for personal use. I got insured by another company.

Thanks again!

From what I’ve heard it takes a miracle to get GEICO to pay a claim. You’re better off with another company anyway.

I'd try Progressive, I hate Geico. All this you can save BS, I can save by not going with Geico!
Anywho, just go with the VIN, if they ask for anything further say it's a conversion van.
I just got my van and did that, something popped up to clarify, I think the model but easy peasy and no issues.
But also mine is liability only, if your doing full coverage that will probably complicate things.

Insurance companies can tell by the VIN number. Your state is important here as not all insurance companies will write policies the same in every state.
In Florida I had to get my shuttle bus converted from a commercial use vehicle to a private use motor home. Initially insurance companies would not even consider it until I found a local agent who helped me thru the process. The problem boiled down to the VIN number, once converted there has been no issues.