What are you reading?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

dhuff

Reaction score
A fantasy novel called Alpha and Omega by the king of alternate history authors, Harry Turtledove. Plot is basically, "What would happen if the ancient prophecy of the End of Days came true?" (and no, Turtledove is not a writer of "Christian" books, just mainstream SF&F).

And in case it needs to be said, please - this is not an invitation for religious debates 😓. I'm simply reading it for entertainment 🙂

Morgana

Reaction score
Solito: A Memoir by Javier Zamora. He is a famous poet (? I think) now, but when he was 9 y.o. he migrated, much of the way on foot, from El Salvador to the United States -- without any family members, and the family friend who was supposed to look out for him ditched him partway through the trip. One of the most impressive things about the book is the way it describes total strangers coming together to create a temporary chosen-family on the route. A stress like that seems to bring out the best and the worst in people.

There's so much chest-thumping by outsiders in both the pro- and anti-migrant literature; it was really good to read something by someone who's actually been through the experience and can speak for himself.

vanbrat

Reaction score
I'm a SUCKER for old cookbooks using old methods and foods... The picture below is only half of 1 set of shelves out 2 sets I keep my collection in. The ones I treasure most are several very old books on Vermont and New England cooking that belonged to my Great Grandmother (b 1875) who was from Swanton Vt. The OTHER thing I'm a sucker for is BBQ. Which I'm ALSO doing today! :D

Cheers!
Me too! Though I am trying to not buy as many new/old ones right now since I have really run out of shelf space....
I found one from the 1890's and it was a good read. Included some first aide stuff like wrap a sock with bacon grease around the neck of a patient with a sore throat. My fav is one about regional cooking from around the USA from the 40's great stuff in there. I use it often. Best applesauce cake recipe is in that one. I have a couple good old crock pot books too from back in the 70's. Lots of cans of soup and stuff in them..

I am just finishing up a good fiction book Called 'Small World' don't remember the author. it was a bit different than most I read as it was a study of characters of a train wreck but also about their ancestors from the 1850's era and how they were all connected. Well written, but different.

GotSmart

Reaction score
I just received an advance copy of Bodacious Creed and the San Francisco Syndicate. The final book in the Steampunk Zombie Western trilogy by Jonathan Fesmire. It is hard to put down! Just 99 cents in ebook form right now.

dreamrunnerjt

Reaction score
Whatever domestic suspense/thrillers I can find on Kindle Unlimited. I miss the real library so much.
I don’t know if anyone has already suggested this but there is an app called Libby that will allow you to checkout audiobooks and e-books from the library. You must have at least one library card to use it. It connects to public libraries including many schools. When I first started using it, it was called Overdrive. Now I mostly listen to audiobooks while I am cleaNing or doing other hobbies.