What are the best mppt controllers these days?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, if you've read my posts, you will know I would marry Blue Sky if I could. I really like them. They aren't perfect, though. They have their faults, but I love them anyway. As far as the actual charging (especially with the RemotePro), they excel. It's some of the little details like the menu hierarchies or how you have to bend wire to a 90 degree angle in the 3024i to connect it or the buttons on the same 3024i. Also, some of the newer panels are too strong for the Blue Sky Energy line. That is seldom a problem, but if you have your heart set on a Sunpower panel, you'll have to look elsewhere. Customer service is top notch.

Hard to beat the Morningstars. I like the TS-MPPT series. No fans, huge heat sink, connectable online or hard wired, and what you can see and do with MSview is amazing. Not small or inexpensive but rock solid.

I really like Victron controllers. They have a very advanced Android/Apple phone or tablet interface or via cable to a computer for more options. The bulk/absorb and float voltages are controllable down to 1/100th of a volt, absorb time is controlled by current acceptance and can be time limited by the user (adjustable). The controllers are very small, do not need a fan, and stay very cool. The larger capacity units come with a built in programmable relay.  They are also very inexpensive compared to other brands. The older ones require a Bluetooth dongle (blue solar) and the newer ones have it built in (smart solar). They have regular software and firmware upgrades to their equipment, the upgrades are all automatic via your cell phone, no effort or computer knowledge needed, when you open the app the firmware will auto update, and the software is via google play or apple. Auto logging of 30 days of data, nice graphical interface of bulk/absorb/float, shows daily total wattage, high/low battery voltages. They have a huge range of integrated equipment such as battery state of charge monitors, inverter/chargers that can combine your generator power with your inverter power, large LIFEPO4 battery systems, etc if you have the money.  Even the low end cheaper MPPT solar chargers are high quality.  I have 3 of them installed and they work flawlessly.

In my personal opinion they are the most advanced controller out there, they are a world wide manufacturer and in use on many high end marine and RV applications. Just type VICTRON in YouTube and take a look at their products.

LOL while looking up these controllers I found one on Amazon a 75/15 non Bluetooth for $69, I just bought it! Last one tho, sorry...
One of my favorite things about Victron is I use an old no longer in use cell phone live monitor my system, just Velcro it to a wall and plug in to a usb port.

Right now on Amazon the 15 Amp 75 volt max with built in Bluetooth controller is $130 MPPT 75/15
 Also on Amazon the 30 Amp 100 volt max model with Bluetooth dongle is $250 MPPT 100/30

Read the reviews on their controllers on Amazon, they get very high marks.

BTW you need the Bluetooth dongle (or a built in Bluetooth model) to program them to your specific battery and get updates, I do not recommend getting one without it. They are pre programmed for standard AGM battery specs.

LOL while looking up the prices I noticed there was 1 for sale on Amazon new for $69, a 75/15 non Bluetooth one, so I bought it, score!

Arizonadan said:
Or are there better ones?

Bluesky still has a good reputation.  Victron has been getting a lot of love on the forum (excellent write-up, 'tripper!)

As far as better: better for what?  Efficiency, availability of some feature, accessories, value?  Can you flesh out how you'd be using it, any space or capital constraints?

If I had unlimited funds and room I'd go with the TS-MPPT Jim mentions.

Blue Sky 3000i series with the IPN remote.

Battery monitor with a shunt to control end of charge cycle (Absorb-to-Float transition) based directly off trailing endAmps acceptance rate.

Saves having to guesstimate, calibrate and adjust the eggtimer algorithm for Hold Absorb Time.

Bogart does the same with Trimetric but PWM.

Also WhizBang Jr.

I actually think for a big system doing the same with Victron gear would be better, but I bet costs too much for a small one.

If you ever go to LFP, BS is the only one I've found allows "No" for Float setting, allows "just stop" as an option.

I've got the MorningStar ProStar 40A unit, their latest MPPT controller. I'll  mention it because not many here likely have experience with it as it's new. I can't really comment too deeply about it because I hooked it up six months ago, set the settings for my 6V GC2 batteries, and it's been working flawlessly ever since. Not cheap at $500.

If you ever go to LFP, BS is the only one I've found allows "No" for Float setting, allows "just stop" as an option.

So does Morningstar TS_MPPT series. I had to set a TS-MPPT-60 to do it when her Victron lost its mind.

Itripper said:
1 for sale on Amazon new for $69, a 75/15 non Bluetooth one, so I bought it, score!
Nice.

But now the newer Smart series with the included dongle functionality list for just $20 more, I think we'll see that as the new normal for those that need it as an add-on.

Since a dongle can be used to program multiple SCs, it becomes more and more practical togo with such an excellent SC rather than the craptastic Chinese cheap stuff.

Just make sure you get the dongle as it is nuts without it.

Victrons you can set the float to whatever voltage you want, basically the same as no float. Set the float to a low number so it does kick on if your batteries get too low, like 12.5 volts for lithium, it will save them from overdischarging without floating after a normal charge.

Me personally, I set the float to just under my resting charge voltage, so when I hit a large power using accessory, the float kicks on and powers it, once the accessory is turned of the resting voltage goes back up a tiny bit and the float is no longer engaged. I like to be sure my lithium is full when dusk comes.
For example my resting charged voltage might be 13.1 volts, I set the float to 13 volts. When I use the microwave, the voltage will drop enough to trigger the float, which allows my panels to fully run the microwave instead of the battery (on float mode). When the microwave turns off the battery goes back to its resting voltage again and the float doesn't engage.