What about this one??

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adventureisoutthere

Reaction score
IMG_5991.JPGIMG_5986.JPGIMG_5996.JPGI've been trying to decide whether doing my own van conversion is the way to go for me or if it is better to buy one all ready to roll. Then, the other day I noticed a white cargo van for sale on the side of the road here in my own town. I stopped to take a look and this is what I found. And found out from chatting with the owner....
It is a 1999 Ford E350, V8 Triton. It has 148000 km on it. It has AC, a slide side door and 2 doors in the back.  The high top has an air vent. It was a commercially used van for a reno company. I know Bob has said anything newer than a 99 Ford is to be avoided, so I guess this one is okay??
I know zip about engines, make and models. :s  I want to invest in something that is reliable and is not going to cost me all my travel money to just keep it going! Any advice will be very much appreciated. :)

Attachments

• IMG_5996.JPG
    IMG_5996.JPG
    1.2 MB
  • IMG_5986.JPG
    IMG_5986.JPG
    2 MB
  • IMG_5991.JPG
    IMG_5991.JPG
    1.8 MB
Shoot! I had a 2000 f150 triton. It got a good 500k miles on it b4 i sold it. Those are excellent vehicles if you take care of their maintenances religiously.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Take a look at this site (they don't list Econolines but they have the same engines as the F150 pickups):

http://www.fordproblems.com/trends/triton-spark-plug-ejection/

These problems don't affect every Ford engine but there obviously has been quite a few. If you are unlucky, it can be very expensive. I believe 2009 and newer vehicles don't have this problem.

The price is a little high AFAIC but that partly depends on where in the country it is.

148,000 KM (91,963 miles) is nothing, the engine is barely broken in.... :D 

BUT, it's still a 99. With that mileage it's been sitting a while most likely.

I know I stole it but in Sept. of 2015 I bought a 2002 2500 Savana with the high top already installed for $3,500. Even given the stealing I did, that 8G asking price is a little high. Mine  should have realistically cost me at least $5 G. - it needed new tires, a new windshield and some minor bodywork. Oh and an idler arm. The brakes had just been done because all the brake lines were rotten from sitting.

OTOH, I just priced out for insurance purposes, replacement cost on my van and the high top alone would set me back $ 7,000 Cdn.

Check the tires for dating, if they're over 5 years old, count on $800 to a grand to replace them immediately. Pick it apart and offer him somewhere between $6,500 and $7,000. for it.

That is if it's what you really want.

I don't' know where you got the impression that anything newer than a 99 is to be avoided. Bob drives a 2015... :D

Almost There said:
I don't' know where you got the impression that anything newer than a 99 is to be avoided. Bob drives a 2015... :D

But Bob's van is a GM product.

As far as Ford vans, the 4.6 L, 5.4 L, and 6.8 L Triton engines from 1997-2008 are suspect.

Before or after those years, the spark plugs are not a problem.

Latest posts