Webasto Air Top 2000 ST B

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bullfrog said:
The ones in old VWs were loud enough you new they were on even when driving.  Sort of like a small jet engine, but most people sleep on planes  right?

I was thinking of more on the lines of stealth

Yes not stealthy if you've got people walking by a residential street.

If both the unit and exhaust output were mounted near the engine, maybe help a bit.

Mobilesport said:
Have you gotten use to how loud it is?

It's a little loud at start up, afterwards not as much. I park in urban areas when working full time and ambient noice usually cancels out the intake/exhaust noise. They do sell mufflers for the Webasto; I have the exhaust muffler that's still waiting to be installed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you used it to heat the living space while on the move?

LoupGarou said:
Have you used it to heat the living space while on the move?

No I haven't, and I don't think I'll ever do. Remember, I can open my bulkhead door slightly and that's enough for the living area to be heated from the can heater while I drive. [emoji1303][emoji1][emoji604]

Luisafernandes said:
No I haven't, and I don't think I'll ever do. Remember, I can open my bulkhead door slightly and that's enough for the living area to be heated from the can heater while I drive. [emoji1303][emoji1][emoji604]

I like how you don't have to swap out propane tanks or 
have a propane tank take up space.

Mobilesport said:
I like how you don't have to swap out propane tanks or 
have a propane tank take up space.

That's one of the reasons I got the Webasto; the first reason was the fact that it has a thermostat and all I have to do is set it for the desired temperature and forget about. [emoji1303][emoji604]

I looked all over online but I couldn't find this exact model number for
sale anywhere.
I was hoping to just buy a unit online and then do a diy install.
Also on the Webasto Web page they say it's silent when operating,  I don't know if
that refers to only the diesel model.
I've heard a diesel unit before and it sounded exactly like my Propex 2800 , not
completly silent but not bad at all.

Luis,

Any chance you can tell me/take pictures of where the fuel pickup is located?

I just bought my Webasto to install in my 2017 Express, but the literature says not to install the pickup tube in the plastic of the tank. I was thinking I'd have to put a "T" in the engine fuel return line, but it sounds like they installed your pickup tube in the tank (I like this idea as I can decide how low the heater can drain my tank before shutting off).

John61CT said:
They're designed for and mostly sold in upper latitudes, Arctic conditions.

Don't oversize, better for them to run a while each time rather than cycle too frequently.

I just found this thread after it got bumped, and have a couple of comments.

The diesel version is a common piece of equipment on OTR trucks...I have many years of experience using them. They are used in OTR trucks at all elevations and latitudes. These units do not 'cycle' in the conventional sense, they 'modulate' the heat output to match the conditions.

When first turned on, they do a diagnostic self-check and then blow cold air while clearing the combustion chamber, then the burner comes on and it will fire up to maximum heat and blower speed for a few minutes.

After the interior sensors determine that the inside air is approaching the set temp, they will 'throttle back' and run at a very low speed and heat output to maintain the interior temperature right at the setting called for on the control panel.

This way you don't have intermittent blasts of cold or warm air or changing noise levels all night long.

They will also shutdown if fuel runs out (duh) or DC power drops too low. They are very safe and reliable.

I would assume the gasoline versions work the same way but I have not verified that.

tx2sturgis said:
The diesel version is a common piece of equipment on OTR trucks...I have many years of experience using them. They are used in OTR trucks at all elevations and latitudes. These units do not 'cycle' in the conventional sense, they 'modulate' the heat output to match the conditions.

When first turned on, they do a diagnostic self-check and then blow cold air while clearing the combustion chamber, then the burner comes on and it will fire up to maximum heat and blower speed for a few minutes.

After the interior sensors determine that the inside air is approaching the set temp, they will 'throttle back' and run at a very low speed and heat output to maintain the interior temperature right at the setting called for on the control panel.

This way you don't have intermittent blasts of cold or warm air or changing noise levels all night long.

I would assume the gasoline versions work the same way but I have not verified that.
I picked up a gasoline version to heat up my roof top tent and finally installed and tested it last week. I can contest that the gasoline version seems to function in exactly the same manner. I actually was thoroughly surprised on how well it kept my tent at an even heat. Pricey unit, saved up for a year to get it, but so far, I'm very impressed.