We lost a lot of ground around Flagstaff this year

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m out a wash or two over from the old RTR site in Scadden Wash. Really there isn’t a lot of trash at all out here unless you count the ten pounds of nails taken out of the firepit.

We only have five rigs right now at the High Desert Ranger Memorial Campout. We are giving ATV desert rides daily, and gold panning demonstrations in honor of Mike. If you’d like to learn to pan or take a ride out to the desert come on by.

We will be having other things going on after the 22d.

As bad as i hate to see it. I don't think human nature is ever going to change. We can send warnings up all day, but i don't think it will do any good. I hate the idea of babysitting these kinds of people, and enabling them even further..but perhaps CRVL, HOWA and other communities that inhabit these places would be well served to create a volunteer fire/trash brigade that takes it upon itself to ensure that these fires, and piles of trash are taken care of before rangers get a chance to see it. Communicate to rangers and blm enforcement that we're aware of it, and we plan on doing something about it. I realize it takes time and resources away from things we'd rather be doing, but its a better option than losing these resources entirely. Just a thought.
Same happens at "that festival in the Black Rock Desert". Trash thrown off of cars all down the roads after despite the 10 principals espoused at every turn. That fetival in the desert does have a volunteer public works dept that examines every inch of the onsite desert floor after the event, but those dumping as the drive off on the road cannot be stopped.

Wow they moved Quartzsite and the Black Rock Desert over to Flagstaff? Quite the feat of civil engineering 🤣