We just can't quit

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TravelingZombies

Reaction score
Last year my wife and I went to Yellowstone and my dad asked us to check out the Grand Tetons because he hadn't been there in many years and was no longer able to travel. He was very supportive of us traveling the country. He was a truck driver when I was a kid and would save all his pennies for me and send scenic postcards.
He really enjoyed watching our videos and hearing about our experiences and often got a good laugh from it. He wanted us to see Crazy Horse Memorial so he could see what's been done since he was there. He was excited to hear we were going to go there this summer and was looking forward to it.
The day before Thanksgiving he was walking up from his workshop when he lost his balance, fell and hit his head on the concrete. He was bleeding from head wound and was taken to the hospital where he lost consciousness. The doctors discovered that there was bleeding on the brain and his brain had tilted to one side. The hospital called me and asked me to come up to discuss options. First option was to send him to another hospital for surgery however he would have diminished cognitive abilities if he survived the surgery and then would have to go to a care facility for the rest of his life or do nothing, make him comfortable and let him pass.
He had already made legal arrangements for one of his friends make that type of decision however it was only in case of his ongoing heart problems so I was left with making the decision and knowing what he wanted I honored it. No problem.
My regret was that we weren't able to see Crazy Horse before he died and a few other places he talked about. He thought that us living in our vehicle and traveling the country was a great idea and always encouraged us. In June we made our first attempt but was careless about our dietary choices and I got edema in my legs and had to come home for doctor care.
Our second attempt ended when we tried to sleep in a tent and woke up so sore, hips and back, that we couldn't even sleep in vehicle for next 2 days so we ended up back at home. We were getting discouraged but people here we're supportive and helpful so we're going to try it again but a little differently. 
We're planning on an overnight trip in Oregon and Washington to try out new seat cushions and seat covers. 
Make any adjustments as needed for comfort.
Our next trip will be about 3 weeks in August and September and be back for doctor and dentist appointment. Providing everything goes well we'll then try a 3 month trip from September to December and keep increasing as much as possible because we just can't quit.
The truck we're driving was my dad's at one point and he loved it so driving it feels like he's there as well but when we save up for a more suitable vehicle will be nice. ?

Seriously check tnttt.com the foamie thread. With your local contacts find an old utility or boat trailer and build a insulation foam box (square drop) just large enough you can put the mattress or bedding you use at home inside of. Scrounge dumpsters, construction waste sites and free craigslist. Check the grease on the trailer hubs if it has been sitting a long time for sure. You can make a water tight enclosed box to carry a bed big enough to sleep in for little or nothing using oops water based exterior house paint, old bed sheets or drop cloths or anything in between. If you can afford 2" insulation foam it can be simply glued together and held with toothpicks and covered with the above. I used damaged interior doors because they were cheaper some as little as $5 and glued them together with wooden dowels covered with the above (Poor Man's Fiberglass Lol!!!) to build several different versions of tiny campers for very little money that appear will last longer than my brand new travel trailer. It really doesn't take much skill and few tools as it is mainly an arts and crafts activity on a larger scale. Most anyone can glue and finger paint! Lol! Check out the above web site of Teardrops and Tiny Trailers and go to the foamies forum it will explain it all.

Thanks bullfrog, we've thought about getting a lightweight trailer as my truck is rated to tow 2500lbs but we too5a utility trailer with camping gear to Yellowstone last year which weighed about 1200lbs and my truck struggled bad going up hills and brakes almost caught on fire going down Teton pass. We did upgrade the brake system but even noticed power issues this year when we had a hitch carrier.
We are keeping all options on the table though.

Every time I brought home an old car to fix and I would ask my dad what he thought of it he said " Should have spent the money on a good pair of boots, you are gonna need them." It sounds like you vehicle is getting tired so maybe taking a seasonal job with housing to make and save money while your vehicle still runs good enough is a good idea (coolworks.com). It has worked for us.

I liked your story about your Dad and your commitment to travel

yea don't quit. but if you need certain comforts then it is super important to address those definitely which alot of us have to do. You guys got this, there is no quitting like u said if you desire something enough :)

wow tho only towing 1200 and you had those issues but yea, your tow vehicle is super important and those big grades in those mts are taxing for sure! It isn't all flat easy open roads is it and the big grades can be super tough.

Lightest popup I think is like 850 lbs out there but have you considered one of those car/truck tents? Where you would have room for big cots so you have comfort lying down fully? Some of those tents that encompass the vehicle are really nice and can give you what you need more maybe?

like ya said, you got options, just take your time and decide how you wanna roll!

Last year my wife and I went to Yellowstone and my dad asked us to check out the Grand Tetons because he hadn't been there in many years and was no longer able to travel. He was very supportive of us traveling the country. He was a truck driver when I was a kid and would save all his pennies for me and send scenic postcards.
He really enjoyed watching our videos and hearing about our experiences and often got a good laugh from it. He wanted us to see Crazy Horse Memorial so he could see what's been done since he was there. He was excited to hear we were going to go there this summer and was looking forward to it.
The day before Thanksgiving he was walking up from his workshop when he lost his balance, fell and hit his head on the concrete. He was bleeding from head wound and was taken to the hospital where he lost consciousness. The doctors discovered that there was bleeding on the brain and his brain had tilted to one side. The hospital called me and asked me to come up to discuss options. First option was to send him to another hospital for surgery however he would have diminished cognitive abilities if he survived the surgery and then would have to go to a care facility for the rest of his life or do nothing, make him comfortable and let him pass.
He had already made legal arrangements for one of his friends make that type of decision however it was only in case of his ongoing heart problems so I was left with making the decision and knowing what he wanted I honored it. No problem.
My regret was that we weren't able to see Crazy Horse before he died and a few other places he talked about. He thought that us living in our vehicle and traveling the country was a great idea and always encouraged us. In June we made our first attempt but was careless about our dietary choices and I got edema in my legs and had to come home for doctor care.
Our second attempt ended when we tried to sleep in a tent and woke up so sore, hips and back, that we couldn't even sleep in vehicle for next 2 days so we ended up back at home. We were getting discouraged but people here we're supportive and helpful so we're going to try it again but a little differently.
We're planning on an overnight trip in Oregon and Washington to try out new seat cushions and seat covers.
Make any adjustments as needed for comfort.
Our next trip will be about 3 weeks in August and September and be back for doctor and dentist appointment. Providing everything goes well we'll then try a 3 month trip from September to December and keep increasing as much as possible because we just can't quit.
The truck we're driving was my dad's at one point and he loved it so driving it feels like he's there as well but when we save up for a more suitable vehicle will be nice. ?
Enjoyed your story sooo much. Thank you for sharing. :)