Water - Watching for Opportunities

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gcal

Reaction score
For the experienced, this might be in the "DUH, You Idiot" file. 

We have a couple one gallon jugs and 2 1/2 gallon ziplocks. Any time we stop at a rest stop or for fuel, we look around for potable water faucets, even if we are not low. A couple trips to the faucet tops off our tank and gives us showers.

Don't the ziplocks leak??? I've always carried jugs of various sizes and looked for potable water when/if I know there is a decent chance of it's use in the near future (why carry the extra weight for long periods of time); but never considered ziplocks as an alternative ...

Thirsty Boots Nomad said:
Don't the ziplocks leak???  I've always carried jugs of various sizes and looked for potable water when/if I know there is a decent chance of it's use in the near future (why carry the extra weight for long periods of time); but never considered ziplocks as an alternative ...

We carry the bags in a bucket for support. The bags don't last forever, but they are a lot easier to store than jugs.

If you have a 2 gallon garden "pump sprayer" used only for potable water since new it could do dual duty for showers and serve as a water tank. 

I figured getting a length of water grade plastic tubing, about 3 ft, at Lowe's and a plastic funnel that would fit into the tube.  Then the funnel could be held to the stream of a water fountain so the water would drain down into the plastic sprayer tank.   This may take awhile to fill a tank but in the late evening there aren't many people standing in line to get a drink from these fountains at the rest areas.

Some of these sprayers have a shoulder strap to make it easier to carry them.  Most have a handle for the pump
so you could carry it like a suitcase.

One thing I have noticed is that you really appreciate every drop of water if you have to schlep it.

Gcal: "One thing I have noticed is that you really appreciate every drop of water if you have to schlep it."

Oh, so you're not one of those who, in the desert miles from a water source, fills a big glass with water, drinks a third of it and dumps the rest into the sand? Those people irritate me.

TrainChaser said:
Gcal:  "One thing I have noticed is that you really appreciate every drop of water if you have to schlep it."

Oh, so you're not one of those who, in the desert miles from a water source, fills a big glass with water, drinks a third of it and dumps the rest into the sand?  Those people irritate me.

I don't even do that when we have hookups. Too many years living in areas with high water bills and constant reminders via public service announcements to save water.

water bandit and a four-way key can make filling easier from public water sources.  And it can make it easier to get permission to use private sources if have your own tools so the clerk doesn't have to search for the spigot key.  :)

eDJ_ said:
If you have a 2 gallon garden "pump sprayer" used only for potable water since new it could do dual duty for showers and serve as a water tank. 

Plastic garden 'pump sprayers' are not made of food grade plastic, so you are taking a risk using it for cooking and drinking.  OK for general use (like showers and washing).

frater secessus said:
water bandit and a four-way key can make filling easier from public water sources.  And it can make it easier to get permission to use private sources if have your own tools so the clerk doesn't have to search for the spigot key.  :)

A spigot needing a key is there to restrict usage.  It makes you vulnerable to 'theft of service' tickets/fines without permission.

I carry water in 1 gallon jugs for two reasons:
  1. easier to fill anywhere, I can even partially fill at a water fountain.
  2. easier to handle, 5 gallon water jugs are hard for me to use with my arthritis.

Zip-loc in a bucket is an interesting idea.  Those could be filled almost anywhere.  A more durable option would be a waterproof stuff sack.

-- Spiff

Spaceman Spiff said:
A spigot needing a key is there to restrict usage.  It makes you vulnerable to 'theft of service' tickets/fines without permission.

Right.  That's why I said:  

it can make it easier to get permission to use private sources if have your own tools

I have two basic rules in my philosophy;  one of them is "respect the property rights of others".

frater secessus said:

I've taken a look at the picture of the water bandit, read the packaging, and I still don't get it. I'm trying to figure out what type of water source the water bandit can help you access. Assuming a person had a 4-6 ft length of hose with a female hose connector on one end, would the water bandit really add anything to that or be better than that?

Tom

There are water outlets (including spigots) that don't have threading onto which you could attach the female connector.  

• designed without threads (other hoses, campgrounds)
  • damaged threads
  • sinks, maybe water fountains, etc

The bandit slips over these non-threaded outlets and you connect your hose to the other end of it.