Washing clothes?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treesprite

Reaction score
Im wondering how people in vans for longer than a week at a time wash their clothes. 

I've never been away from a stationary home long enough to make my little porta washer worth bringing, but I have a "Wonder Washer" I use for small things at home to avoid paying as much for machines. Looks like a small trashcan, plugs in for the swishing action and has a timer, but I have to add and empty water, and wring out water, by hand. It does a pretty good job, but I hate the wrinkles created by  wringing water out.

So don't get grossed out. I just now, as I was writing,  started to have a question of whether it could double as a bucket toilet so it wouldn't take up extra van space (using heavy bag liners and unplugged).

Attachments

• IMG_20210119_230237567~2.jpg
    IMG_20210119_230237567~2.jpg
    1,012.9 KB · Views: 9
Sticker says 55W, .9A. Run time 14 minutes but have to run once for wash and once for rinse.

It uses about 3 gallons of water per run, so a person would need to be able to store and then dump 6 gallons of waste water.

I just realized it does give a place to put dirty clothes (I usually put dirties in a plastic bag, then stick the plastic bag back in with the other clothes). It could also double as a trash can as long as trash bags.dont.leak in it.

treesprite said:
So don't get grossed out. I just now, as I was writing,  started to have a question of whether it could double as a bucket toilet so it wouldn't take up extra van space (using heavy bag liners and unplugged).

Are we witnessing the creation of the infamous " Wash-N-Go". ???

For drying, I have this thing that is a metal frame with a waterproof zippering cover which has a hole in the bottom for an upward-facing heater to blow In heat. The heater unit comes with remote control. It was expensive for this sort of thing, like $100, but I use it a lot more than I use the pay dryers in the building. Just gotta use a lot of fabric softener, because otherwise the lack of tumbling while drying  will make the fabric stiff. This would actually fit in the van when assembled for use. When not assembled, it's just fabric, some slim metal poles, and a heater (the directions actually say it can be used as a heater).

Attachments

• IMG_20210120_003012540~2.jpg
    IMG_20210120_003012540~2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 7
desert_sailing said:
Are we witnessing the creation of the infamous " Wash-N-Go". ???

That's the funniest thing I heard all day. It splashes up quite a bit while swishing, so if you don't mind washing with your own, you know, then go for it.

I carry enough clothes to go 3 weeks plus, not all in prime shape. I store in two soft sided luggage pieces with broken zippers I got at a goodwill for a $1 a decade ago. I use laundry bags, stored with the clean it takes up a consistent amount of space.

Laundromats are a cost. I’ll wash underwear and socks if needed. I shoot for a change every day on everything save pants.

Sometimes I wash stuff in a 5gal bucket, it works for stuff that doesn't have much dirt in it. Gets rid of sweat and light dirt.

After a few 5gal bucket washes socks and whites need a Laundromats or a machine wash.

That is the same type washer I used when I lived in Central America.  I a had a separate spinner about the same size that got most of the water out after washing and again after rinsing.  Yes, it is a water intensive process.  I don't personally think the washer is worth to power and water overhead vs a bucket.  The spinner is possibly worth it, but living in AZ where things dry quickly even it would be a toss up.

I don't boondock, but my solution is laundromats.  That and enough clothes to go between trips.

ridgeway said:
Sometimes I wash stuff in a 5gal bucket, it works for stuff that doesn't have much dirt in it. Gets rid of sweat and light dirt.

After a few 5gal bucket washes socks and whites need a Laundromats or a machine wash.

I used to wash clothes iny bathtub or sink. It means standing there and agitating with my hands or scrubbing clothes to remove dirt, for a long time (longer = removal of embedded dirt). 

The good thing about the ittle washer, even though water still has to be changed manually, is that it does the swishing in alternating directions to mix and agitate, and does it for 14 minutes at a time. When I do it I can't just stand there doing that for more than a few minutes.  I had doubts about its cleaning ability, but one day I put a pair of jeans in it that I thought would never come clean, but they came out great with no remaining stains. Used a lot of fabric softener, put them in that dryer thing I have and they were fully dry and soft in about 90 minutes.

Call me crazy but I enjoy going to the laundromat, especially if it's in a new place.

I hate laundromats, though they may be different in your area.

Firebuild said:
Call me crazy but I enjoy going to the laundromat, especially if it's in a new place.

Good. Are you volunteering??? [emoji1787]. We need a washer woman/man in YARC Camp.

Firebuild said:
I agree. There are way more facilities and cheaper at the laundromat. Some even provide electric outlets also. 
-crofter

Firebuild said:

I'll get my dirty clothes ready for you too.   :D :D

I looked at those portable washers and they would work in a pinch but they use a lot of water, and I'm not sure how well they work with Blue Jeans or Blankets.

Bob has a video of a vanlifer with one of the electric units in the back of his van.

I always thought I could get rich owning a laundromat with a bar in the back and live entertainment. Nothing like a cup holder on a folding table! Might be hard to explain the extra clothes when you got home though! Lol!!!

Firebuild said:
You're crazy.

I hate visiting laundromats. I bucket wash a few clothes each week to extend time between laundromats. We stretch a line from the truck to the teardrop to dry. I have discovered clothes dry quicker in the desert than on the east coast!

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk