Warning about Induction Cooktops EMF Radiation

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesAdam

Reaction score
Induction Cooktops use Microwave Oven Technology.  I found this info on a google search.

https://emfacademy.com/induction-cooktop-radiation/
Do induction cooktops emit radiation? Yes, induction cooktops do emit electromagnetic frequency radiation when used, and exposure to this radiation can be dangerous if not properly managed. Induction cooktops emit a fairly large amount of EMF radiation, and you are at the greatest risk when near the cooktop, however distance and proper equipment can significantly reduce your risk.

Yes, and so does a cell phone, microwave, wifi, computer and even the earth has its magnetic field. When's the last time you had an dental or chest xray or did you happen ro grow up in a home that exposed you to radon during your formative years?

A faraday cage solves that problem, oh wait we live inside a metal box, a faraday cage, trapped with those devices that emit EMF. Were doomed for sure. (gotta throw out my ear buds too).

For me the bottom line is the entire world lives longer than it ever has in history despite all the pitfalls mankind has thrust upon us. I sincerely doubt living without all the items that emit EMF would actually allow me to live a longer and healthier life. But hey, what do I know.

PS. I have a microwave and an induction cooktop in my box truck, I do not, however, sit, stand or lean on them when in use.

Hope you don't mind, I just wanted to add a little more to the emf story.

Although I am not a fan of induction cooktops, the author on that website is mixing a lot of legitimate information with speculation, opinion, and fantasy.

He is selling a lot of gadgets, meters, cases, and contraptions to make himself some coin off the reader when they buy that crap.

C'mon...EMF necklace? Really?

Next thing you know he'll be hocking copper bracelets to cure cancer, magnetic fuel line gadgets to boost your MPG, and snake oil for everything else that ails a feeble body.

I'm not saying you should place an induction cooktop next to your head and run it on high for 12 hours, but just that in reality, most people only use one for less than 15 minutes to maybe a half hour and don't stand next to it the entire time.

You are more likely to get hit by lighting than to get sick or die from a tiny bit of our daily EMF.

I tried writing a thing last night to explain why it's nonsense. But my skills for explanation are not as good as my understanding of the physics.
Long story short, electromagnetic induction is not the same as electromagnetic production of microwaves. I can't think of a brilliant metaphor here, because all the ones I tried to do last night fall apart under examination.
Induction is one of the most basic principles of electronics. If you have anything electrical in your house it is using induction at some point in the circuit.
What is meant by induction when they are talking about the cooktops is the property of induction used in audio and power transformers. That is when conductive materials are oriented with certain geometries in relation to each other, a current in one produces a current in the other.
Yes there is a magnetic field involved.
Microwaves are something entirely different. It's basically light at a very low frequency compared to visible light. The means of production is electromagnetic, but it's not a magnetic field itself.
Incandescent lightbulbs, the kind we grew up with before CFL and LED bulbs got cheap, those are electromagnetic as well. The filament is coiled, and emits photons when AC passes through.

Now I do think that as a civilization we are too cavalier about the density and intensity of radio frequency radiation that people are generally subject to. (radio frequency radiation is not the same as beta or gamma radiation btw).
It's just too damn nice to have wireless everything. And more frequency bands are auctioned off for different uses all the time. The wireless boom is reminiscent of how chemistry and radiation where once regarded as harmless to humans. Until a couple generations go by and the bad side effects are apparent.
There should be more caution about creating an environment of high frequency or high energy fields around us.
But this is hysteria and misinformation. Conflating electromagnetic fields with microwave radiation. And even using the word 'radiation' is hysteria inducing.
For the record radiation is a type of energy transmission.
Sound is transferred to your ears by radiation from its source. But can also be transmitted by conduction, if you ever used a bone conducting earpiece, or pressed your ear against a wall or train rail.
Classic thermodynamics;
there are conduction, convection and radiation for heat.

ps sorry to be long winded. Had some good coffee today!

The induction cook top emits far less electromagnetic fields than the every day 60 cycle fields we have lived in for most life times. Less than your refrigerator motor. Or any other electric motor. If I could insure the available power I would definitely have an inductive cook top in the van.

I picked up a NuWave II  for ten bucks at the flea market yesterday. Looks new, works great.

Regarding EMF, if all the warnings were even half true I would have been dead long ago. I spent 25 years as an electrician in an industrial environment, all kinds of energy flying around. Up to 60K Volts, very large variable frequency motor drives, wearing a radio and radiation monitor badge ... Fifteen years later I have no health problems beyond the ordinary things. I am more concerned about my asbestos exposures than EMF.

Guy

Many old-school AM radio stations were built with the transmitter and tower right behind the studios.

Not all of them of course. 

But many have in the past, and still do, feed thousands of watts into a tower located maybe 20 feet, or maybe 50 feet, from the staff and personnel inside the building. Some of these stations run 24/7.

DJs and other employees are not dropping like flies from the RF or the EMF.

The Twinkies in the vending machine are worse for you than the EMF!

:cool:

We have used radio frequencies for many purposes, for many, many years.
But the higher frequencies have only been used for about 50 years.

I am not sure what frequencies some of the mentioned natural and artificial EMF units are operating at, but I think frequencies make a difference.

In the last about 50 years we have also seen an increase in all maner of new and strange illnesses.

I do not know what eventually convinced the courts about the tobacco issues, but it took many years of colleting data and statistical evidence.

During the same years, as we have started using high frequencies, we have however also started using many new chemicals in our food production.

So it will be difficult, and probably take much longer, to collect data and statistical evidence to possibly show any connections between some of the new ways we use technology, to some of the lifestyle ailments that are seeing an unusual increase these past years.

So what are we to do in the meantime?

I think we need to pay attention, and talk about things.

A good and open debate, CAN lead to some common sense insights, a few years before courts may be able to use data and evidence in judgment.

Oh certainly, frequency of the RF or EMF matters and distance to the source matters, as well as power levels. 

There are safety interlocks on microwave overs, cuz putting your head in there with the cooking turned on would not be a good thing!

But typical low background levels, and short duty cycles, are generally considered fairly safe.

Hey ya never know. Methuselah lived to be like 20 score and 17 years old or something and he never used a microwave oven. XD

It has always ... not IRKED. That's not the right word. But perturbed me rather when RADIATION is demonized. As stated the earth's magnetic field is a form of radiation. So is a campfire, the sound of your voice, and sunlight.

It's all too often used to illicit ideas of radioactivity in our minds. But what do I know? I also dont use microwave ovens very often. And not just because my tinfoil hat creates interference. XD

Cause and effect are not always related.

Probably close to 100% of the humans that have died from cancer in the USA in the past 50 years have most likely eaten french fries at some point while they were alive.

But that doesn't mean that french fries cause cancer.

Or does it??

:p

Yeah I worked for years in server rooms.
That is a 20-30 foot long row of 6.5 foot tall cabinets with about 20-40 servers in them. Every row also has one or two big network racks witha bunch of switches, routers and patch panels.
So many computers in there I was in the habit of wearing earplugs to save what I have left of my fragile hearing.
No tumors or other ill health effects.
I had more damage to my health from the years I worked in construction (toxic adhesive fumes! Once almost passed out in a building because someone closed a window)
Or when I worked in an electronics assembly factory and got a bit too much VOC off the flux in our lead free solder. We changed solder brands after several got sick even with ventilation.
I'm really more alarmed about the cavalier attitude of gov't regulatory agencies towards VOCs in many consumer oriented products than any EMF.
New car smell? VOCs.

Oh!

Good point about EVs...all the EMF and RF they emit for hours and hours with occupants bathed in the 'EMF force field'.....somebody needs to look into that!

Here's ur Protection in them EV's.
Foil-hat_IMG20210116115420_01CR.jpg

Attachments

• Foil-hat_IMG20210116115420_01CR.jpg
    Foil-hat_IMG20210116115420_01CR.jpg
    269.5 KB · Views: 47
Dang, that tinfoil hat has much more coverage than my own. And its stylish at the same time. :p