"VISIBLE" cell service party pay. Caveats? Pitfalls?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

Cagey

wannabee in Cochise County, AZ
Reaction score
gone2day, it won't surprise me if our speeds fall now that they have tiered service.
I've been on the now-legacy/-grandfathered Visible $25 plan for 13 months, and in the past few weeks I've noticed (in same old suburban sticks & bricks) my speeds and latency improving. I'm now regularly getting 10-15Mbps down indoors during much of the day (I used to consider myself lucky to get 5Mbps), with latencies sometimes dipping into the 50 ms realm (100-120 being the historical norm). My theory is that many of my peers on the legacy Visible plan (which uses Visible's unique "cloud-based" network core) are switching to the recently announced plans (which use Verizon's network core instead), decreasing the load on the former to the benefit of those of us remaining.

I plan to stay with the legacy plan for as long as Visible offers it because (a) $5 saved is $5 earned, (b) I'm fine with letting early adopters run into all the teething problems with the new plans, and (c) I happen to be among the Visible customers reliably getting 10Mbps hotspot speeds (Visible still documents their hotspot as being capped at 5Mbps) which I would be greatly pained to lose as a hidden consequence of "upgrading" to their $30 plan.

Last edited:

gone2day

Reaction score
Wait. You're in Cochise County? Me too but 14 miles out from SV. It's never been fast (I didn't save prior results) but now it's abysmal:

2022-09-14- Internet Speed Test.png

Cagey

wannabee in Cochise County, AZ
Reaction score
Wait. You're in Cochise County? Me too but 14 miles out from SV. It's never been fast (I didn't save prior results) but now it's abysmal:
Yes. I frequent a (favorite) Mexican restaurant near the corner of AZ92 and E Hereford Road, and my (Visible) speed test results there are amazing (120-140Mbps down typical[*]); the super speeds at this location might have started 4-6? months ago. Within a 1 mile radius of home (3-4 miles away from the restaurant) outdoors on my trail walks, I typically see 20-40Mbps. In my house, until the past few weeks, days about 5.

[*] All speeds I'm mentioning come from Google Chrome's Speed Test; when a speed test probe shows I'm at a "hot coverage spot" (by definition away from home) I download audiobooks (multi-100MB files) and observe download speeds that match the Google Speed Test results, so I've satisfied myself that that particular speed test facility consistently provides real-world-valid results. And while I have a 5G capable phone (2 year old Pixel 5), 99% of the speed test numbers I quote for Visible are obtained while LTE connected; unless I'm in a high-density location (which I try not to be), I seldom have a 5G connection.

Almost all of the factors governing performance are invisible/unknown to us, making performance very hard to predict, so ultimately all anyone can do is perform experiments at important locations and try to extract useful/actionable signal from large amounts of experimental noise.

But experimental results can be counterintuitive/inexplicable: 10 days ago I traveled to Chiricahua National Monument for a day of hiking with a friend. We both have Visible service (me: legacy plan w/Pixel 5, him: just upgraded to $30 plan w/1 year old high-end iPhone). Until we got to the top of the highest peak: no coverage. Then at the top: weak coverage. After taking obligatory pics and a light snack: (sequential) speed test time: I was (to his mild chagrin) seeing 2x-3x higher performance (both on LTE). IMO a more expensive & newer flagship phone in the same location, w/same nominal network/service, should have at least matched my older phone's performance. But no. We repeated the experiment with same result, which I cannot explain. Does that mean the new Visible plan sucks compared to the legacy plan? No. But these results sure don't motivate me to switch to the $30 plan (or to replace my 2 year old phone)!

Everything about cell phones/performance: YMMV.

Haggis

Reaction score
The recent posts are very interesting. I’ve used visible on and off for several years, and at one point at several phones that I use primarily as hotspots. The single hotspot connection I always found was its biggest limitation. I now have Mint, but only because I’ve moved, and the only cell tower with decent service is T-Mobile. I’ve also bit the bullet and have a Starlink which handles most of my data/streaming needs. The low and cellular market seems to be constantly changing so anything you buy into will quite likely be gone in a few years with some thing else replacing it sometimes better and cheaper sometimes worse or more expensive.

BlueMarkOhio

Reaction score
Someone who looks like me put the Visible SIM in an LTE router; I don't have many devices, but they are all hidden behind the router.
Yes, your single device can be a router. Depending on the router you can also connect the router to your phone, and it will distribute the connection via its own outgoing wifi. That way you still have a phone.

frater secessus

Reaction score
Depending on the router you can also connect the router to your phone, and it will distribute the connection via its own outgoing wifi. That way you still have a phone.

True, and I started out doing it that way using a $25 GLinet travel router. I went to the LTE router:

1. for better range with the external antennas
2. to prevent overheating of the phone
3. to minimize battery-related anxiety. Using the phone hotspot was tough on the phone battery, but so was leaving it plugged in all the time. When smartphone batteries were still trivially-replaceable I'd just let them degrade and replace as needed.
4. to get 5gHz wifi, for repeating that band in urban areas. I find it's less congested than 2.4gHz in many places.