Vintage trailer restoration help wanted

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShastaRosie

Reaction score
Hi All,

Not sure this is the right forum...I'm looking for help with a leaking and now water-damaged 1971 Shasta Compact. The damage is mostly new, thanks to some horrific thunderstorms for 10 of the last 14 days. There was also some former water damage, but now the Shasta actually smells dank, which it didn't before.

I'm currently in Tennessee, heading west to Arizona for the winter. My dream would be to have someone do the work while I assist (and I'll be living in a tent with my dog and cat in the meantime, so we can't dillydally...), cutting down on cost as much as possible.

Anybody?

Attachments

• 1527621370917.jpg
    1527621370917.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 16
Tennessee Ridgerunner here...but living in AZ. You're asking for someone in TN to help out or you're on your way to AZ?

I am not trying to be mean or negative however you do need to be realistic in your expectations. Unfortunately there is nothing quick or easy about fixing up a water damaged vintage Shasta or any other brand of old tin can trailer. To describe it with that equally vintage saying..." it is like opening a can of worms"... is not in the least an understatement of the situation. If it already smells like a can of worms then that is exactly what you are going to find when you open up the can. That odor you are smelling is rotted wood.

You have to take everything out, take out the interior paneling, take off the skin then replace the damaged framing members and reverse the process putting the outer skin back on and being sure to use modern sealants while doing it. Any tiny voids in the sealant and you will be back to having water damage. You also have to inspect the old skins to make sure there are no tiny pin holes through the panels. Then insulate and put the interior paneling back in. You will also want to put in new electrical wires.

A rebuilt vintage Shasta sells for a fair chunk of change because of all the labor hours and materials that go into the project. But if you don't already have the skills that means you are going to be paying out more than you hoped for someone elses labor. You are not just paying them for the time, you also have to pay them for the knowledge because they are "skilled" labor versus an unskilled menial laborer.

There are photos and videos around on the internet showing the vintage tin can trailers being remodeled to replace the water damaged framing. Do the research, learn what it takes then make an educated decision for if you have the time and funds to do the project. If not sell it and invest in a more manageable build in a different RV.

I think I'd take into consideration what the goals are, needs to meet those goals, resources available and other options for resources not readily available. Then go from there. Imo, OP really would benefit from giving more context.

second maki2. You will find the floor and supports are most likely rotted. A common problem with these units. Sign up with "Tin Can Tourists" dot com to find some experienced restorers.

All the above posts are really good information especially if time and money are considerations. I wish you the best as any noticable water damage in older trailers is usually bad. In the worst case you should take a look at the post on Foamie trailers or tnttt.com as you have most of the base trailer.