Ventilation & Fantastic Fan

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[email protected]

Reaction score
I just watched a video on the Olympian Wave 3 heater.  I know ventilation is crucial so I wondered if turning on my fantastic fan while using this heater will provide enough ventilation.  Or...should I leave the front van windows open about an inch?

Any information about this would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks,
Lisa

in the instructions it should say how big the fresh air opening needs to be. this number should be in square inches. look up the instruction manual or maybe someone here has one and can post up what they say. highdesertranger

I've been using the Mr. Heater Buddy aka. Buddy Heater... it recommends 9 sq. Inches air so I've kept front windows rolled part way down. I sit in the back near a CO monitor which is near the floor. Every 15-20 minutes I notice the CO monitor has gone from 0 to 30 quickly, and I've seen as high as 33. So I open my side door to let in more air. This doesn't feel safe to me ... it needs constant vigilance and I wouldn't bother if I weren't so cold. Warm air makes it possible for me to relax and enjoy living in my van again.

Do you have a fan in the ceiling of your van? If so, it sounds as if it really doesn't help when using your Mr. Buddy :(

I don't have the roof fan installed yet. I bought one and will have it installed next month at Jamie's van build. So I just keep both cab windows open.

Most important, follow the fresh air requirements stated in the Mr. Buddy heater instructions.

When I use mine, I leave the passenger side window down an inch. The heater warms my sleeping area and I sleep soundly. I have been doing this for eight years and have never had a problem.

Mr. Buddy are great heaters.

Just my opinion . . .

I crack my front windows about 1/3" and crack the vent just a tad when I have the Wave 3 on. A tiny tad once it gets down in the 20s. I also have smoke/CO alarm. I'm warm enough under the quilts, but I won't get out of bed without that heater.
Ted

iot4c said:
One interest case of vent based on CO2 concentration:

https://camper-assistant.com/vfc.html

CO2 is not the issue. first high concentrations of CO2 will will be noticed. it is the concentration of CO2 in your blood that gives you the urge to breath. pretty hard to ignore high CO2

it is very possible to have high CO and or low oxygen without seriously changing the CO2 levels. i personally dont feel it is wise to try and protect yourself by monitoring CO2. none of the manufactures i am familiar with use CO2 as a bench mark. they monitor O2 or CO

I normally crack my windows about an inch and open my fan. I was turning my fan on low but it sucks all the heat out so now i just open the fan and let the hot air rising escape through the fan.
When it snows I only open the fan becuase the snow blows under my rain guards.

it's amazing how snow does that.

I would be very careful in the snow, about snow build up on the vent possibly blocking the vent.

highdesertranger

Gypsy Freedom said:
CO2 is not the issue

... for human. But parameter for switch ON/OFF the ventilation fan. I had tested this on practice. By the way, I'm sense the CO2 concentration more than 800 ppm.

Some monitor O2 or CO because CO2 sensors expensive, while O2 and CO sensors much more cheap.
Moreover CO is other (but important) history about gas due to open flame.

Other interesting variant is control ventilation fan based information about humidity, but this data very inertial.