Van Packing List

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Queen

Reaction score
Okay, I've searched and found nothing, can anyone link me to a suggested packing list for a van about to hit the road?  

I imagine some of you experienced folks have a pretty good idea what is needed.  I've been looking at my tent camping list and I'm guessing it's similar, but there must be some things I'm missing that are more specific to van dwelling.

(my wife asked me about this last night, so progress on that front!)

Use the tent camping list...you'll have everything you  need for a camping trip.

That is, if it's for a front country camping trip...if it's for backpacking, interior backcountry then no, it's way different.

The only thing you don't need off the tent camping list is the tent! And maybe you should pack it anyways because if you get all the stuff in to the van that you need, you end up with no place to sleep. The tent is most often used for storage space until you get the interior of the van organized and it has storage compartments!

I'm kinda interested in what tools people bring. Not as much tools to repair the vehicle, but things like shovels, rakes, chainsaw, rope, chain, tarps, rebar stakes, etc.

lurker.gif

That is what we were thinking, and if we go with a low top van (most likely scenario since it has to double as our daily driver and we have carport height issues) we'd use the 6' tall tent as the potty room.

Anything else van-specific? It occurred to me today that we might need something better than the little whisk broom we use in the tent.

Nope, the little whisk works just fine...if you don't have a really high top, you can't stand up to sweep anyways and the broom is too long/tall. You're forever hitting the walls and it doesn't pack nice. 

As to Putts questions - some carry all of the above, some carry none.

I carry a fold up shovel, no rake nor chainsaw. I do have my small hatchet and my backcountry camp saw for cutting firewood.

Last winter I bought 3 adjustable height tent/awning poles and have been known to engineer an awning over the side doors with them and a couple of hanks of paracord. My usual collection of rebar stakes was loaned out a few times for staking out other peoples tents in high wind conditions.

The one thing that you might want to add to the packing list is some kind of boards for leveling the van. Not all campsites are flat enough and those with trailers/full scale RVs don't care because they all have levelling jacks. It's a PITA when you can't choose where to park because you have to put the van where you can get it level enough to sleep.

AT - I started adding some things to my list, dang there's going to a lot of crap in the van!! Really need to pare it down a bit, but keep the essentials. I'd totally forgotten about a folding shovel and saw!

Don't pack as if you're going out for the rest of your life. Don't even pack like you're going out for a year. Pack as if you're going out for only a week during the summer. Then add what you'd need if you were going out for only a week in winter. That should pretty much cover everything. ;)

MrNoodly said:
Don't pack as if you're going out for the rest of your life. Don't even pack like you're going out for a year. Pack as if you're going out for only a week during the summer. Then add what you'd need if you were going out for only a week in winter. That should pretty much cover everything. ;)

You and I share a packing philosophy. :D I could pack for a month long trip to Europe in a small gym bag... my honey (even though she is literally half my size) would require a couple of massive suitcases.  

So my plan is, let her overpack all she wants, then not say a word as the van (or our current truck) gets packed to the gills, and then try not to laugh out loud as this slowly dawns on her.  She'll come around after the first trip. :p

I had to think about my current needs when compiling my list. My plan calls for a maximum of 6 nights/7 days camping. I figure I would need to come to town once a week to replenish my supplies & shower. I need to access the internet once a month, bills. I can get a newsweek to catch up on the news. All 6 containers plus 3 x 3.5 gal buckets of water fit under my bed. The wall stuff is hung on the wall, The bungy stuff is attached to my bed or spare tire. I've used the spaces between my van frame for paper towels, stove with my bed holding them in place, my curtains & rods are sticking to the van framework along the bedside. The propane crate sits beside my sliding door in a milk crate for stability. Not pretty but functional. There are a few things, spices,,,etc. not listed just throw them in any container that's handy.

Cooler
2 Lbs shredded cheese
1 ½ Gal ½ n ½
14 Pkgs cottage cheese/beans
Butter pads
Insulin pack
6 Ice paks

Container 1
7 Lg cans of meat
14 Sm cans of meat
3 Cans of green chilies
2 lbs ground coffee
1 Bag brussel sprouts
4 Sweet potatoes
4 Avocados
2 Doz eggs
1 Pkg broccoli
1 Pkg carrots

Container 2
3 Heavy sweat pants
2 Light sweat pants
7 Pairs socks
7 Pair briefs
7 T-shirts
3 Sweat shirts

Container 3
24 OZ paper cups
Plastic spoons/forks
4 Sharp knives
Lg paper plates
Paper bowls
13 Gal garbage bags
Sandwich bags
Pie tins
Tin foil

Container 4
Bungy cords
Wire ties
Lantern mantles
Stick matches
1st Aid kit
Diabetic supplies
Meds
Solar charger
Gray water drain

Container 5
Binoculars
Horse wrap
Rope/twine
LED lanterrns
Flashlight
Batteries
Rain coat
Hand towel
Wash rag

Container 6
Books
Maps
Not pad
Pens
Puzzle books
Tooth brush
Tooth paste
Hand soap

Wall stuff
Bedside commode
Propane lantern
Propane tree
Step stool sliding door
Magnetic rods & curtains
Step stool rear doors
Coleman stove

Bungy stuff
Composite table
Mr Heater (buddy)
Canopy top
Tarp
4 Rolls paper towels
Hatchet
Bow saw
Tool bucket
Propane crate
Gun
Tent
Chair
Shovel
Hot dog rod
Short broom
5 Gal buckets

Twin Bed frame /w mattress & bedding

Queen said:
I've been looking at my tent camping list and I'm guessing it's similar, but there must be some things I'm missing that are more specific to van dwelling.

If you consider the van to be the substitute for the tent, what more do you really need?   I advise against packing things because there is space or carrying capacity.   The Tin Tent (on wheels) will suggest a couple of maintenance items for the vehicle should go along.

I have heard lots of stories of things carried but not used in more than 12 months.   Unless going bush and without resupply for a long time, add things as you find the need or want for some extras.

I break my list down like an outline. here's a quick example,

BEDROOM
1. sleeping bag
2. sleeping pad
3. pillow
4. blanket
5. and so on

KITCHEN
1. stove
regulator
hose
2. propane cylinder
3. pots and pans
4. utensils
5. and so on

FOOD
1. seasonings
2. coffee
3. sugar
4. bacon
5. eggs
6. and so on

BATHROOM
1. TP
2. porta potty
3. soap
4. towel(s)
5. toothbrush
6. and so on

CLOTHES

highdesertranger

Nearly everyone brings too much stuff that they really don't need, and then are stunned to find out they failed to bring what they really did need.

At the top of your list should be

"LESS"

HDR - I have my tent camping list organized that way, works better for me to think about separate functions rather than a long rambling list. Camping off grid required a few more categories than I had when camping in campgrounds with water/showers/restrooms... -Porta Potty -Water - Personal grooming

Broom: get an in-betweener -- it looks like a real broom, but sized for a kid, maybe 3 feet long. Basically, a whisk broom w/a longer handler.

Leveling boards: YES! http://roadslesstraveled.us/blog/wp...01-Leveling-boards-fifth-wheel-RV-trailer.jpg

A smallish tarp for attaching to the van (reflective on one side). If you happen to have a 1/2" grommet setter (about $10 + pkg of 1/2" grommets), a hammer & a short block of 2x4, you can add extra grommets to custom-fit it to your rig (esp good with roof racks).

For traveling in cooler, rainy or gloomy weather, I'm going to make a clear tarp from HD plastic: cut to size, cut the tips off the corners, fold the edges a couple of times, and set the grommets. This will keep rain off so I can cook outside, but let light in. Half-width strips of Gorilla Tape within the folds would make it stronger. AKA 'the patio'.

akrvbob said:
Nearly everyone brings too much stuff that they really don't need, and then are stunned to find out they failed to bring what they really did need.

At the top of your list should be

"LESS"

Yup. About every six months I get rid of things I don't need. For example, I used to have three bins of "necessities" under my bed. Now, after four years, there's only one. And I feel another purge coming on.