Van life at 25

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

omg240sx

Reaction score
Hey everyone new to this forum and i'm working with a 2013 honda crv @ 138k miles. On the road ill be playing poker on my laptop frequently and trying to learn how to do python/sql + program and what not to get started on my financial career as a lot of the peers my age are already way ahead of me.

Tried this last year for a bit and the TX heat was a bit annoying even in the winter, i didn't have any shade covers or anything so this time around i'm thinking about trying to get some sort of covering over my windows to reduce heat + make it so no one look in while im sleeping. Probably could also invest in a portable fan of some sort so, but if anyone has any suggestions for both definitely leave me a helpful comment, i really appreciate it.

Also i'm looking to buy a portable battery charger that will charge my laptop for 5 hours without going broke nothing above $500, not sure if anything out like that exists and jackery is too expensive for me and the lowest model probably won't be able to charge my laptop for that long? Would also appreciate a suggestion with this as i'm actively looking. Thanks.

some sort of covering over my windows to reduce heat + make it so no one look in while im sleeping.
WeatherTech makes coverings tailored to the vehicle make/model. I have a set; they seem to work well. They're not cheap. If you want a home-made solution (e.g. Reflectix) you'll have to get crafty and be able to do precise work. There's a lot on this in the archives.
the TX heat was a bit annoying ... invest in a portable fan of some sort
There's a lot on this in the archives too.
The TX heat can get more than a little annoying. I tried to car-camp in the heat last summer, with good window coverings and three fans, and it was a disaster (couldn't even breathe without the door open, fled to a motel and blew my budget) (people here were a huge help while I was trying to sort that out).
It can be done. People here have done it. But it takes the right equipment and a lot of effort.
-----
I wouldn't advise starting a new course of study at the same time as you start on the road full-time. Expect "being on the road" to be a full-time, engrossing pursuit for the first while. And do keep trying stuff out on short trips before you commit to it full time.
-----
You'll find a wealth of really useful material in the forum archives.
Good luck!

Glad you had a good experience with WeatherTech. Mine was not that great. With my older Toyota Tacoma they apparently couldn't quite match my vehicle when ordering floor mats. So they just pretend to have what you want and send random crap. Not even close to fitting correctly.

Agree on point about not starting a career on the road. At 25 get a cheap apartment (I know) and real job. Comeback in 30 years...

That bites! I'd only ever heard good things about WT. Thanks for filling in the picture.

You can make your own portable charger. Knowledge is power 👍

Or you can buy extra batteries for your laptop and charge them while driving. Or charge Them while working in an air conditioned library where you will also have free Wi-Fi for playing online games.

Last edited:
Also i'm looking to buy a portable battery charger that will charge my laptop for 5 hours without going broke nothing above $500, not sure if anything out like that exists and jackery is too expensive for me and the lowest model probably won't be able to charge my laptop for that long? Would also appreciate a suggestion with this as i'm actively looking. Thanks.
Power stations are priced according to size (battery and inverter). So you have to bite the bullet and buy one large enough to meet your needs or scale back your needs to the power station you can afford.

Unless you have a niche application, the best power stations are from EcoFlow or Bluetti. If you have to stay under $500, the Bluetti EB3A and EcoFlow River 2 series are the best choices. There are many reviews on YouTube, I like HoboTech and Todd Parker (the legendary Will Prowse doesn't focus on small power stations).

I've used EcoFlow power stations for the past couple of years. They perform well. Their newest generation of power stations have (industry leading) 5 year warranties. In my dealings with customer service they have been quick to respond and satisfactorily addressed my problems or answered my questions.

There are lots of YouTube videos on how to make window coverings. They do have to fit just right but in the videos they will show you how to accomplish that. You just need a perfectly fitting pattern out of paper or cardboard or whatever before you cut the Reflectix.

Power stations are priced according to size (battery and inverter). So you have to bite the bullet and buy one large enough to meet your needs or scale back your needs to the power station you can afford.

Unless you have a niche application, the best power stations are from EcoFlow or Bluetti. If you have to stay under $500, the Bluetti EB3A and EcoFlow River 2 series are the best choices. There are many reviews on YouTube, I like HoboTech and Todd Parker (the legendary Will Prowse doesn't focus on small power stations).

I've used EcoFlow power stations for the past couple of years. They perform well. Their newest generation of power stations have (industry leading) 5 year warranties. In my dealings with customer service they have been quick to respond and satisfactorily addressed my problems or answered my questions.
Great reply thanks man